papazoid

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

O4ZcLJ9.gif

nice.

On the topic of finding 5 teams that could/would/should move. I've been to both the Chargers a d Raiders facilities and they are absolute dumps. Great cities to be in and all, but absolute dumps when it comes to the stadiums. That's my opinion. I'm sure they would and have said the same thing about RWS.

The greater Buffalo area, while having a tremendous fan base, does not have the economic means to support a team in today's NFL. It's not a matter of if but when will the team move.

I hate to say it, but its true. I think the extension was to allow Ralph to Die knowing he kept the team in Buffalo. I am honestly suprised it happened but the old man has kept his word. After he passes I can't see any owner keeping the team here. Sure it sells out MOST games, but luxury suites need to be sold at a higher price, ticket prices need to go up, new stadium is needed, Naming rights need to be sold and on and on and on.

Let alone WNY and Buffalo in particular just doesn't have the economy to support a pro football team in today's NFL.

All stuff we have heard before. The Rams and Raiders will move in the next few years. Buffalo is small but regionally, they have a medium sized market. the article fails to mention that Jacksonville can't move because they have an ironclad lease and the Rams have deep ties to LA with Stan Kroenke.

" A full 40% of the city's street lights have been turned out. Roughly 120,000 of its buildings sit empty. Response times for 911 calls extend to nearly an hour, while fewer than 9% of crimes are ever solved."

Wow, I knew Detroit was in rough shape but this sounds like it is close to becoming the Detroit from Robocop.

Maybe all the teams should get out of there and then we can just wall it up Escape From New York style. :devil:

The greater Buffalo area, while having a tremendous fan base, does not have the economic means to support a team in today's NFL. It's not a matter of if but when will the team move.

Here is the deal, or just my take on it. The Buffalo area hasn't had the "economic means" for 3 decades now. That is why they spent a lot of effort marketing the Bills and it worked! Guess what, the Bills didn't go anywhere. If you factor in the populations of Buffalo, Rochester, and Southern Ontario your talking 6 mil give or take a few. Couple that with our economy here in Buffalo being on the mend and I have to respectfully disagree. The Bills aren't going anywhere my friend. Peel the onion back some and take a look at what is happening here. I never thought we would see the day but the city is rebuilding. Also take a look at the housing market here. These are all key indicators. I expect within 6 years a nice new stadium downtown near canalside.

I kinda recall an article illustrating how, when you look at what the NFL considers each team's "home territory" most every other team's home territory is 2-3 times larger than what Buffalo can call thier "home territory".

If Bufflalo could expand thier territory out to areas comparable to te other teams, then Buffalo would become a mid-sized market, rather than te 2nd smallest. Buffalo gets no favors.

I also recall how the issue is not necessarily that there is no corporate support to have, but rather that corporations "don't" support the team like they do in most other areas.

I would suggest that Buffalo's real issues are corporate dormancy and "actual" versus "official" market size.

I kinda recall an article illustrating how, when you look at what the NFL considers each team's "home territory" most every other team's home territory is 2-3 times larger than what Buffalo can call thier "home territory".

I think your memory or the article are wrong. See article IV of the NFL Constitution & Bylaws at:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content//public/static/html/careers/pdf/co_.pdf

The way "Home Territory" is defined, Toronto is in the Bills home territory. If the NFL wants to put a team other than the Bills in Toronto, Ralph gets paid.

Here is the deal, or just my take on it. The Buffalo area hasn't had the "economic means" for 3 decades now. That is why they spent a lot of effort marketing the Bills and it worked! Guess what, the Bills didn't go anywhere. If you factor in the populations of Buffalo, Rochester, and Southern Ontario your talking 6 mil give or take a few. Couple that with our economy here in Buffalo being on the mend and I have to respectfully disagree. The Bills aren't going anywhere my friend. Peel the onion back some and take a look at what is happening here. I never thought we would see the day but the city is rebuilding. Also take a look at the housing market here. These are all key indicators. I expect within 6 years a nice new stadium downtown near canalside.

I've been stationed in San Diego for the last decade or so. I've only been "home" a few times. This fall I'm taking my wife and children to their first Bills game at the Ralph (vs. Ravens). Not only am I looking forward to the game, I am looking forward to seeing the city that raised me and how it is progressing towards the future. I've been digging around the internet and have been quite impressed with the things that are happening in Buffalo!!! CAN"T WAIT! © Bart Scott

GO BILLS!!!

Ever been to Green Bay? It MAY be the size of Niagara Falls.

Besides, a few strong years from now (a direction I think we're headed), the regional financial position of this team will be rock solid. Even at this point, I think the NFL values Buffalo more than we know. Even if this franchise moved, they would have to replace it (like Cleveland).

I've been stationed in San Diego for the last decade or so. I've only been "home" a few times. This fall I'm taking my wife and children to their first Bills game at the Ralph (vs. Ravens). Not only am I looking forward to the game, I am looking forward to seeing the city that raised me and how it is progressing towards the future. I've been digging around the internet and have been quite impressed with the things that are happening in Buffalo!!! CAN"T WAIT! © Bart Scott

GO BILLS!!!

Cheers, Bart!

Exactly.

I think your memory or the article are wrong. See article IV of the NFL Constitution & Bylaws at:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content//public/static/html/careers/pdf/co_.pdf

The way "Home Territory" is defined, Toronto is in the Bills home territory. If the NFL wants to put a team other than the Bills in Toronto, Ralph gets paid.

No, that's not it, and I am looking for it. As I recall, for example, Atlanta is given something like a 400 square mile area for its home territory where Buffalo is given something very low, like 50 miles. Not sure the exact numbers. I have to find the source.