Tonight's Scrimmage (8/5)

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since James Walker apparently has his hands full covering the fish camp. Mike Rodak ESPN AFCE blogger has more than adequately picked up the slack from Walker's usual dribble, I mean "reports".

Next to the guys on this board providing insights, Rodaks reports on Bills camp are the best I've read.

I understand the guy lives in Florida, but balls, it reads more like the Dolphins blog than the AFC East blog.

Since James Walker apparently has his hands full covering the fish camp. Mike Rodak ESPN AFCE blogger has more than adequately picked up the slack from Walker's usual dribble, I mean "reports".

Next to the guys on this board providing insights, Rodaks reports on Bills camp are the best I've read.

Rodak is the Bills writer now he specifically brought in for the Bills.

Edited by BuffaloFood

A couple of things about the first official depth chart...

1) Man, we are horribly thin at offensive line depth. I cringe at the thought of being forced to start David Snow at Center.

2) Love seeing Carrington as a starter on this Defense. He has earned the right to play and has shown he can be disruptive in limited snaps. Lets see how he does full-time.

3) I'm surprisingly okay with our starting LBs and the depth behind them. Same goes for WRs.

I think we can consider Snow the 3rd string center. Both Legursky and Colin Brown can play center, so I think whoever loses the starting LG spot will be the 1st backup for the interior line positions.

I'm also happy to see Carrington be recognized as a starter. Since he stopped playing OLB, I can't recall him making a mistake.

I do suspect we will see a lot more Hughes, perhaps at the expense of Lawson. He seems to be making strides in camp. I'm looking for Rogers to leapfrog a bunch of those WRs, as I imagine from a talent standpoint, Rogers, Woods, and SJ are the top 3.

I think we can consider Snow the 3rd string center. Both Legursky and Colin Brown can play center, so I think whoever loses the starting LG spot will be the 1st backup for the interior line positions.

I'm also happy to see Carrington be recognized as a starter. Since he stopped playing OLB, I can't recall him making a mistake.

I do suspect we will see a lot more Hughes, perhaps at the expense of Lawson. He seems to be making strides in camp. I'm looking for Rogers to leapfrog a bunch of those WRs, as I imagine from a talent standpoint, Rogers, Woods, and SJ are the top 3.

Perhaps. Though Marquise has impressed the hell out of me.

As for the OLine, I'm tremendously worried about it, and am convinced it will be our weakest unit all year. I'm concerned it will damage EJ's development.

Thoughts on the depth chart:

Rodgers looks rather low, behind Hogan, Brad Smith and Easley. We've been hearing about his physical gifts, but I did hear about some mental mistakes, so I think there's a chance Marrone cuts him or puts him on practice squad.

Do my eyes deceive me, or do they have the defense in a 4-3 setup? I know that this is only a guide, but we've been expecting a 3-4 so much it seems a little jarring.

I love seeing Carrington on the edge as a DE. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets moved inside a lot when they move to 4-3 and it looks like his athleticism and time at multiple positions may actually help him.

We look absolutely stacked on the DE line, and I'm liking the look of our front 7 a lot better than last year. Hoepfully they can take some pressure off the DB's.

Aaron Williams is penciled in as Strong Safety instead of Free Safety. It should make for an interesting combo if/when Byrd comes back with him still there.

Am I the only one who thought that Da'Norris Searcy was a strong safety and was the leading candidate to start opposite Byrd?

Rodgers looks rather low, behind Hogan, Brad Smith and Easley. We've been hearing about his physical gifts, but I did hear about some mental mistakes, so I think there's a chance Marrone cuts him or puts him on practice squad.

Do my eyes deceive me, or do they have the defense in a 4-3 setup? I know that this is only a guide, but we've been expecting a 3-4 so much it seems a little jarring.

I love seeing Carrington on the edge as a DE. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets moved inside a lot when they move to 4-3 and it looks like his athleticism and time at multiple positions may actually help him.

We look absolutely stacked on the DE line, and I'm liking the look of our front 7 a lot better than last year. Hoepfully they can take some pressure off the DB's.

Aaron Williams is penciled in as Strong Safety instead of Free Safety. It should make for an interesting combo if/when Byrd comes back with him still there.

Rogers is low so that no one (most importantly Rogers himself) thinks that anything is being handed to him. It means nothing though. Don't worry, if he stays out of trouble and flashes potential, he'll easily make the 53-man roster. I honestly think they're going to keep 7 receivers this year.

I love that Carrington looks to be taking on a starting role and agree he deserves it, but man, he really looked at home as a DT last year. That really looked like his natural position. I guess we'll see.

For all those concerned about O-Line depth: what's the expectation?? What does "depth" look like? 10 outstanding players??

I think the depth is fine. I think a lot of what I like is in the form of potential though. I think Zebrie Sanders and Chris Hairston could both be starters in this league sooner than later. I liked what I saw from David Snow last year as well. I think in a best case scenario, someone beats out Legursky and then you keep him for depth at center and/or guard. People are delusional. I'm sure if you look at any other team's depth chart, they have a bunch of former UDFA's as their 7th and 8th linemen just like us.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Am I the only one who thought that Da'Norris Searcy was a strong safety and was the leading candidate to start opposite Byrd?

Rogers is low so that no one (most importantly Rogers himself) thinks that anything is being handed to him. It means nothing though. Don't worry, if he stays out of trouble and flashes potential, he'll easily make the 53-man roster. I honestly think they're going to keep 7 receivers this year.

I love that Carrington looks to be taking on a starting role and agree he deserves it, but man, he really looked at home as as a DT last year. That really looked like his natural position. I guess we'll see.

I had that same thought when I noticed that too. And hasn't A. Williams been playing FS with Byrd absent?

I love seeing Carrington on the edge as a DE. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets moved inside a lot when they move to 4-3 and it looks like his athleticism and time at multiple positions may actually help him..

The 3-4 forces your DL to stack up an OL and hold the line of scrimmage rather than attacking. Dareus, Kyle, and Carrington are all at their best when they're shooting gaps and disrupting. I'm happy to see Pettine is living up to his word about building a system around the athletes here, rather than forcing a system that may not be an optimal fit.

They will use both looks and IMO Carrington's ability to play both 4-3 DE and 3-4 DE is what allows them to disguise. Mario is listed as a DE there, and will be most of the time but look for him to line up as a LB so the offense doesn't know what they're looking at. The 3-4 will be used enough to create doubt, and to help defend the run when necessary. Otherwise it's one gap and let our athletes attack attack attack

Look for players to sometimes line up in positions we don't expect, to create confusion. Things like Mario lining up at MLB and Kiko at OLB on a given play- I'm using an example of something Pettine did in Jersey but who knows what he'll cook up for our team.

It's going to be fun watching a DC who makes an effort to confuse the opponent

It is a very rough estimation. From what I've seen and heard, this defense is far from traditional. The only reason I believe they list it as a 4-3 is because of how they stack their linebackers in regards to the techniques of the D lineman. I question how often Mario will have is hand in the dirt. I think the traditional 4 down look will really be considered a 3 man front from the offenses perspective.

Another note I haven't seen yet is how there is a FB in the base. I doubt the team's base offense will include one, but it may suggest that they plan to have one on the roster (something that's been debated thus far).

Yea I think that Sanders needs to be bumped.

DaRick I have to believe is just to motivate him, he has mental mistakes but he is bar none the most talented wideout on this roster.

Brad Smith is a joke if he makes the team I will be furious.

Hoping that Gragg will move up as well.

I think its fairly good besides that.

You know what's strange?

Earlier today I read that ESPN AFC East blog about the Bills LG situation and thought "Damn, that was amazingly insightful for having been written by Walker".

After your post I went back to the AFC East blog and saw that the article was actually written by Rodak. Now the world makes sense again.

Rodak is the Bills writer now he specifically brought in for the Bills.

Every team in the NFL will have their own ESPN Reporter.

Rodak was with ESPN Boston and came to WNY to cover the Bills.

His reports have been very insightful and he seems like a great addition to the media covering the Bills.

Here is his twitter page https://twitter.com/mikerodak