Guard position battle not going so hot

MClem06

I do a lot of thinking about this team (like many here). When I discuss the upcoming season with friends, one thing that always pops up is "a lot comes down to the OL. Ej and Cjs performance is predicated on solid OL play. How bad will the Lg play? Will the other OLmen have to help him out so much that it hurts their overall play? Can the interior OL stay healthy for once? Our interior depth is questionable at best." Big questions regarding a big key to our season IMO. It makes me worry. That's all. Ill be very happy with every win this year and aren't expecting to be dominating. No ego. I'm just a little worried that they may underperform compared to years past. That's all. I know many fans that feel the same.

I find that very interesting, since it practically never comes up in my discussions with friends, family, or anyone else (save for on this board).

Usually, the conversation begins and ends with "so much depends on how fast EJ develops and if the defense can get turned around". I'm actually very surprised to hear that the OL is so commonly a focus of anyone's discussions.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do a lot of thinking about this team (like many here). When I discuss the upcoming season with friends, one thing that always pops up is "a lot comes down to the OL. Ej and Cjs performance is predicated on solid OL play. How bad will the Lg play? Will the other OLmen have to help him out so much that it hurts their overall play? Can the interior OL stay healthy for once? Our interior depth is questionable at best." Big questions regarding a big key to our season IMO. It makes me worry. That's all. Ill be very happy with every win this year and aren't expecting to be dominating. No ego. I'm just a little worried that they may underperform compared to years past. That's all. I know many fans that feel the same.

While I agree OL play is extremely important, I also am not as worried as some over Levitre's departure. Glenn should be better in his 2nd year. Wood is a top notch C. Urbik is above-average at RG. The Pears/Hairston combo at RT is passable. Marrone is an OL coach and will not jeopardize his offense by putting somebody in at LG who can't meet his minimum standards. The nice thing about camp is he's getting a look at several candidates, learning what they can and can't do. They're also being tested by some pretty ridiculous players on the D line.

My position is not a popular one among the crowd who bemoans how the Bills have "ignored" the O line, but I think there's some logic behind it.

Rotoworlds 2013 Offensive Line Rankings:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/43265/179/2013-offensive-line-rankings

Spoiler: Bills ranked 22nd.

Overview: You'd never know it because of Ryan Fitzpatrick's annually lackluster production, but Buffalo fielded one of the league's most underrated lines during Chan Gailey's tenure. In Gailey's Pistol Spread, the Bills got the ball out quickly and ran efficiently, ranking fifth in yards per carry in 2011 (4.91) and fourth in 2012 (5.02). Gailey spread the field with four and five wideouts, creating advantageous run matchups. Unfortunately, Buffalo lost top lineman Andy Levitre this offseason, and how the remaining players will transition to rookie coach Doug Marrone's scheme remains to be seen. While Fitzpatrick was error prone and lacked starting-caliber arm talent, his quick release masked up-front flaws that may be exposed with painfully-raw rookie E.J. Manuel under center.

Edited by papazoid

Rotoworlds 2013 Offensive Line Rankings:

http://www.rotoworld...e-line-rankings

Spoiler: Bills ranked 22nd.

Overview: You'd never know it because of Ryan Fitzpatrick's annually lackluster production, but Buffalo fielded one of the league's most underrated lines during Chan Gailey's tenure. In Gailey's Pistol Spread, the Bills got the ball out quickly and ran efficiently, ranking fifth in yards per carry in 2011 (4.91) and fourth in 2012 (5.02). Gailey spread the field with four and five wideouts, creating advantageous run matchups. Unfortunately, Buffalo lost top lineman Andy Levitre this offseason, and how the remaining players will transition to rookie coach Doug Marrone's scheme remains to be seen. While Fitzpatrick was error prone and lacked starting-caliber arm talent, his quick release masked up-front flaws that may be exposed with painfully-raw rookie E.J. Manuel under center.

I find it hard to lend credence to any rankings that puts Cleveland's OL--which paved the way for the 24th-ranked rushing offense--in the top 6 based purely on youth without a single solitary change in personnel.

I also struggle to find the logic in things like Baltimore being likely to rise into the top 10 after losing Matt Birk to retirement and ranking dead-set in the middle of the pack throughout last season.

Suffice to say, these rankings are highly subjective.

I find that very interesting, since it practically never comes up in my discussions with friends, family, or anyone else (save for on this board).

Usually, the conversation begins and ends with "so much depends on how fast EJ develops and if the defense can get turned around". I'm actually very surprised to hear that the OL is so commonly a focus of anyone's discussions.

Some people view things differently. Obviously EJs progression is the key. Our run d being a huge issue as well. Those are brought up as well. I hope and pray that the OL plays well, but I'm not sure of what we're going to have next year. I really like Glenn, woods and Urbik. I'm fine with pears/Hairston, but I hate our interior OL depth. While not a star, losing Rinehart was a big loss IMO. I don't know how good legursky, brown, sanders, Caldwell are. I knew rinehart was serviceable. Injuries hit us often and I take that into consideration. Maybe too much. When healthy, I think we will be ok. Once the injuries hit (if they do. But they always do) things could get ugly. That's all I'm saying. It's not my number 1 worry, but it is a question mark right now as far as I'm concerned.

Shuffling on 2nd OL

Posted by Chris Brown on August 7, 2013 – 9:49 am

Shuffling on the starting O-line with Cordy Glenn moving to LG and Thomas Welch up to starting LT has prompted shuffling on the 2nd O-line as well.

Recent signee Tony Hills has replace Welch at 2nd team LT while Doug Legursky is back at 2nd team LG.

Colin Brown is now at RG. We’ll ask coach Marrone if he’s still part of the LG competition.

Sam Young and David Snow are in their same spots at RT and C with the second group.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/?icampaign=blog_header

Shuffling on 2nd OL

Posted by Chris Brown on August 7, 2013 – 9:49 am

Shuffling on the starting O-line with Cordy Glenn moving to LG and Thomas Welch up to starting LT has prompted shuffling on the 2nd O-line as well.

Recent signee Tony Hills has replace Welch at 2nd team LT while Doug Legursky is back at 2nd team LG.

Colin Brown is now at RG. We’ll ask coach Marrone if he’s still part of the LG competition.

Sam Young and David Snow are in their same spots at RT and C with the second group.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/?icampaign=blog_header

Fast offenses need to have great protection in the middle.

This quick plays can be devastated by pressure in the QBs face.

If you get it under 2 seconds. Pressure from the blindside doesn't matter.

Its the New NFL. Lugursky sucked his whole career and Colin Brown is a nobody.

If this thomas Welch charachter can play decent LTackle you know Glenn will lock down the LG spot. It could help.

Or they are just tinkering, who knows.

While I agree OL play is extremely important, I also am not as worried as some over Levitre's departure. Glenn should be better in his 2nd year. Wood is a top notch C. Urbik is above-average at RG. The Pears/Hairston combo at RT is passable. Marrone is an OL coach and will not jeopardize his offense by putting somebody in at LG who can't meet his minimum standards. The nice thing about camp is he's getting a look at several candidates, learning what they can and can't do. They're also being tested by some pretty ridiculous players on the D line.

My position is not a popular one among the crowd who bemoans how the Bills have "ignored" the O line, but I think there's some logic behind it.

Urbik is above average when Wood slides over and helps him. This year Wood will be sliding left. Watch Urbiks play then.

Urbik is above average when Wood slides over and helps him. This year Wood will be sliding left. Watch Urbiks play then.

If Glenn ends up at LG, it will be an upgrade at the position, so I don't think Woods will need to help out so much.

GO BILLS!!!

Damn. Damn. Damn. Levitre is looking great tonight. He's sprung two long Td runs and pulled to open a hole for Green on 4th down. I miss Andy.

right after chris Johnson leads the league in rushing, he will get the ProBowl recognition he deserves.

If WoodS starts helping out on the OL, we are in deep doo-doo. Just IMHO of course :-P

He's not just a good receiver prospect, you know. In addition to playing center, I look for him to spot the incomparable Garrison Sanborn at long snapper.

GO BILLS!!!

right after chris Johnson leads the league in rushing, he will get the ProBowl recognition he deserves.

And then Fitz will have to come in and throw an interception that costs them a game. It all washes out in the end.