SJ is a slot-man now

I'm confused. I thought the title of #1 WR was defined by being the most targeted on a team. Stevie, IMO, is our main WR target in recent years. If that's not the description, what is? Also, where did the elite thing come from? Your original post/title talks about being a #1 WR...

No one here, afaik, is suggesting he's a top 5 WR... O.o

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "homers" aren't angry. We're sleepy after reading your post.

No one says Stevie is "elite". He gets open. He catches a lot of balls. He consistently produces. He had one of the worst QBs ever throwing him the ball over his tenure with the Bills. Ypc has to do with the QB throwing the ball as well. Those are all facts. He is not "elite". No one here says he is. Stop hating. Your post brings nothing to the table. It makes you look like a troll.

Well put. I'd like to add that the OP's assertion that SJ's lack of TDs (in and of itself) is an indication of some fault of Stevie's. Following that logic, SJ could have 3 catches in a drive for 45 yards, including two first downs, but because CJ subsequently scored a TD at the end of the drive, Stevie's contribution was irrelevant?

Thanks for the laugh.

So Wes Welker, who was clearly the #1 target in NE's passing game, and who has a chance to challenge Jerry Rice's all-time reception record, is not a #1 despite 3 straight 100-catch seasons?

/thread based on lack if legitimate thought

I give it a rating of FleaMoulds84 on the TSWSI scale

thats exactly right. Because Wes Welker lines up in the slot, because he's not fast enough, or big enough, or go up for jump balls like Megatron, because he doesn't overpower defenders like Andre Johnson he clearly can't be a number one.

The OP needs to learn the difference between a #1 and an ELITE WR that will most likely be in the HOF. He keeps comparing Stevie to guys like Reed, Carter, Rice, Monk. WORD OF WISDOM OP.....ALL THOSE GUYS ARE OR SHOULD BE IN THE HOF!!!!!

This guy has to be a troll! DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMB!

well the tds against revis for 3 years and wins vs losses vs him are facts. His drops are facts that can be looked up or viewed on youtube. His three years of groin and now hammy issues are facts. Vincent Jacksons numbers and how people didnt want him saying SJ was better are facts. SJ barely reaching 1000 yards a season and having low YPC and how people worship one and ignore the other are facts. Also the rating of SJ as the 20th best wr is searchable and derived through his stats, not opinions.

A true 1 in my opinion is a guy that has size and speed and hands and can make every catch and run every route. IMO sj cant go deep just like evans was a "deep threat" and also a #2 imo. Moulds and Reed were true #1's SJ is a number 1 on this team by default.

and he would be a #1 on at least 11 more teams according to your logic... Please stop!

So Wes Welker, who was clearly the #1 target in NE's passing game, and who has a chance to challenge Jerry Rice's all-time reception record, is not a #1 despite 3 straight 100-catch seasons?

/thread based on lack if legitimate thought

I give it a rating of FleaMoulds84 on the TSWSI scale

WHAT! Rice is no #1, Wes Welker is #158. If he he keeps going for years he may get to James Loftons reception number. And most likely coming out of the slot in a motorized wheel chair to even get that close.

And there it is... This is your opinion... Not fact.

/thread

yes this response is an opinion, the OP is my opinion as well based on FACTS. People are getting into if a "number 1 WR" is even a real thing. I wont get into arguing that but for those who subscribe to the existence of the "true #1" I say SJ isnt. I will agree he is the 20th best WR in the nfl to date, and that he is the Bills number 1 target.

The "homers" aren't angry. We're sleepy after reading your post.

No one says Stevie is "elite". He gets open. He catches a lot of balls. He consistently produces. He had one of the worst QBs ever throwing him the ball over his tenure with the Bills. Ypc has to do with the QB throwing the ball as well. Those are all facts. He is not "elite". No one here says he is. Stop hating. Your post brings nothing to the table. It makes you look like a troll.

Do you read the other post about how he is a Top 10 guy, better than VJ Bowe Victor Cruz even Moulds and some are starting to say Reed etc etc. ???

I said in the first line I like SJ and am glad hes here, I am just trying to bring the love affair with him back to reality.

thats exactly right. Because Wes Welker lines up in the slot, because he's not fast enough, or big enough, or go up for jump balls like Megatron, because he doesn't overpower defenders like Andre Johnson he clearly can't be a number one.

The OP needs to learn the difference between a #1 and an ELITE WR that will most likely be in the HOF. He keeps comparing Stevie to guys like Reed, Carter, Rice, Monk. WORD OF WISDOM OP.....ALL THOSE GUYS ARE OR SHOULD BE IN THE HOF!!!!!

yes can you not confuse the guys I compare with my answers to posts using guys THEY compared? And no I say Welker is a great example of a number 3 WR really being fed balls by a HOF QB on a consistanly winning team, inflating his stats. Welker would have had half those catches on the BIlls for 3 straight years, I would actually rather have SJ than welker.

Many Sports writers use the term number 1, number 2, and even 3 or 4 "type" wrs. If the terms didnt exist we wouldnt even argue about it. I remember when we lined up Parrish Price Evans and Reed and many writers accused the bills of having all "3 and 4 type wrs"

Sorry I spiked the kool aid. I guess ill just appease you all with a "SJ owns Revis!!!!"

yes this response is an opinion, the OP is my opinion as well based on FACTS. People are getting into if a "number 1 WR" is even a real thing. I wont get into arguing that but for those who subscribe to the existence of the "true #1" I say SJ isnt. I will agree he is the 20th best WR in the nfl to date, and that he is the Bills number 1 target.

Do you read the other post about how he is a Top 10 guy, better than VJ Bowe Victor Cruz even Moulds and some are starting to say Reed etc etc. ???

I said in the first line I like SJ and am glad hes here, I am just trying to bring the love affair with him back to reality.

Since you are so "fact based" and logical please provide your definition of "a #1 WR".

This definition is the the core issue under debate here.

I think you are saying a #1 is a dominant player that would start on any team, while other say a #1 is a player that would be an NFL starter on A team (one of the best 32)

Since there is no formal definition I am aware of, this whole arguement irrespective of basis is to result in an opinion not a fact.

I am just trying to bring the love affair with him back to reality.

You're hear to tell us what? Just stop. Change your user name and start over again. Maybe then people will take you seriously. We shouldn't love Stevie because he isn't an elite WR? Wake up man, seriously. I'm done with this garbage thread. Have fun making yourself look like a troll.

Let's not forget how many times Stevie smoked his man and was open deep(Giants game immediately comes to mind), and Fitz underthrows him badly and it gets intercepted...

Part of the reason his YPC numbers are low is because we've had a QB that struggled to throw passes more than 10 yards downfield his whole career...

The OP is actually right about Johnson not being a #1. Obviously, all 32 teams have a top receiver, but generally speaking "#1" isn't simply the product of the numbers game on an individual team but a reference to a guy with an excellent combo of size, speed, and route running -- a guy who is an accumulator of catches, a home run threat, and a guy defenses have to game plan around. Julio Jones is that sort of guy, as is Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Larry Fitzgerald, and Steve Smith. Johnson is a great route runner and has excellent size, but he's simply not going to beat a good CB deep by using his speed. Speed is an extremely important part of the package.

Johnson is a very good NFL player, however.

You're hear to tell us what? Just stop. Change your user name and start over again. Maybe then people will take you seriously. We shouldn't love Stevie because he isn't an elite WR? Wake up man, seriously. I'm done with this garbage thread. Have fun making yourself look like a troll.

this---^

Just close your lame thread dude. You've been here for 8 months, have 32 posts (half if them in this thread) and don't know how to use the search function.

This topic has been argued for years now in multiple threads. And points have been made that were much stronger than yours to show that Stevie is not a "#1 WR". At the end of the day, he most definitely is a #1 WR not only on this team but would be in others as well. He is the only Buffalo Bill to ever record 3 straight seasons of 1,000+ yards. He is on pace to surpass all receiving records held by Buffalo WRs. He loves this city and is generally a good guy (if you don't get offended by fake military shirts or TD dances). Or maybe your still butthurt that he dropped an easy TD catch against Pittsburgh. News flash guy, many "ELITE WRs" drop sure TD passes. Happens all the time. Hell, even Calvin Johnson has had his fare share of them, including a stupid mistake that cost his team a game as well. Or how about Desean Jackson showboating and dropping the ball at the 1 yard line? It happens.

But keep thinking what you want. Even the posters on here that agree that Stevie isn't that great are arguing with you. It must suck when you put all that time into a (in your mind) well thought out post only to get crap from everyone. Just take your defeat and close the thread. Nobody here is agreeing with you.

Edited by mrags

yes this response is an opinion, the OP is my opinion as well based on FACTS. People are getting into if a "number 1 WR" is even a real thing. I wont get into arguing that but for those who subscribe to the existence of the "true #1" I say SJ isnt. I will agree he is the 20th best WR in the nfl to date, and that he is the Bills number 1 target. :worthy: So you admit you are wrong and then argue against yourself???? Well at least you have the ability to hold opposing opinions in your mind.

yes can you not confuse the guys I compare with my answers to posts using guys THEY compared? And no I say Welker is a great example of a number 3 WR really being fed balls by a HOF QB on a consistanly winning team, inflating his stats. Welker would have had half those catches on the BIlls for 3 straight years, I would actually rather have SJ than welker.

Many Sports writers use the term number 1, number 2, and even 3 or 4 "type" wrs. If the terms didnt exist we wouldnt even argue about it. I remember when we lined up Parrish Price Evans and Reed and many writers accused the bills of having all "3 and 4 type wrs"

Sorry I spiked the kool aid. I guess ill just appease you all with a "SJ owns Revis!!!!"

So you are trying to kill us all, by trolling? :w00t: ) BTW if you'd rather have Stevie than Welker (look at the contract #s for one thing) you are an idiot ~ credit goes to DC Tom I guess since I used it. Lets see how Welker looks with out Brady, I bet it aint bad (and ya I know Manning but I have a feeling he will get injured, I mean come on it;s Denver :rolleyes:

Edited by bowery4

WHAT! Rice is no #1, Wes Welker is #158. If he he keeps going for years he may get to James Loftons reception number. And most likely coming out of the slot in a motorized wheel chair to even get that close.

Rice has 1,549 career receptions, most in NFL history.

Welker has 768, ranking him 29th.

Look it up.

Now, if Welker continues to average 100+ catches per season, with Manning at QB, it's not inconceivable for him to reach Rice's # in the next 7 seasons, after which he'll be 38.

I know you like to debate, but your post is wildly inaccurate.

Listen Mr. Enlightener, Stevie is the best this team has and that was with Fitz throwing him the ball. Larry Fitzgerald using the same tunnel vision is on the downside of his career. Football requires extensive context in order to evaluate players. You seem to miss the point in that the game gets played first, then we make up our opinions. With the new season looming large, why would you try to sell a definitive opinion on what SJ can and can't do when we are about to find out with a new supporting cast. Instead of being an extremist about it, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Listen Mr. Enlightener, Stevie is the best this team has and that was with Fitz throwing him the ball. Larry Fitzgerald using the same tunnel vision is on the downside of his career. Football requires extensive context in order to evaluate players. You seem to miss the point in that the game gets played first, then we make up our opinions. With the new season looming large, why would you try to sell a definitive opinion on what SJ can and can't do when we are about to find out with a new supporting cast. Instead of being an extremist about it, sit back and enjoy the ride.

stop making sense!!!

Has there been some sort of troll food boom? They are really crawling out of the wood works this year.

well when it gets warm we do that.

I dont think stevie makes it through the season. He has played through the groin injuries for two year i believe and now has a hamstring issue.

Now i love the kid , and he sure as hell gets open after about 12 jukes and fakes. But his hands are not all they could be.

One of the reasons i love him is because he is a gamer , he is an honest football player. he blocks he plays to the whistle and he IS a team leader.

But his health has been questionable. We saw it last year when he tried to break , he was in pain for sure.

Its time to mentor the rooks and catch whats thrown to him. He still gets respect so that will help all around.

But i have my concerns about him this year.

I will still be rooting for him all day