SJ is a slot-man now

Good answer... maybe not. Best answer would be to say him in the slot would be like Welker when he was on the Pats.

I don't have the article but I read somewhere that their skill sets (Woods, Johnson) are pretty much interchangeable(other than speed) so they will be learning both positions. SJ is still the #1 receiver in my book. Doesn't matter where they put him, the defense will be watching for him.

Indeed

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good answer... maybe not. Best answer would be to say him in the slot would be like Welker when he was on the Pats.

I don't have the article but I read somewhere that their skill sets (Woods, Johnson) are pretty much interchangeable(other than speed) so they will be learning both positions. SJ is still the #1 receiver in my book. Doesn't matter where they put him, the defense will be watching for him.

well done post Wiz. Doesn't matter where they line SJ up. He's still the #1 option. Just like Welker in the slot with the Pats.

Everyone thinks you have to be Megatron to be a #1. I got news for everyone. Nobody is Megatron but Calvin Johnson. He's got the potential to be the best WR of all time. We're comparing SJ to that? Yeah, then I guess he'll never be a #1.

Edited by mrags

i like it. anything to cause mismatches. even if it forces defenses to put their number 1 cb on sj it creates a situation on the outside forcing the safety to cover the deep x wr over the top or try to keep the middle of the field from opening up. the pats have been doing this for years with welker, gronk, and hernandez. it will be interesting to see if this creates more opportunities for chandler and for the deep ball.

He played a ton in the slot last year too so this is not that much of a change. He and Fitz were great in the red zone with Stevie lined up inside.

Don't confuse short inside passes at the shoe strings with playing in the slot....

Still curious as to how a guy that (a) is the primary target on the team, (b) ranks in the top 12-20 NFL WRs in every statistical category in each of the last 3 years, and © has a significant degree of success against top CBs like Revis and Sherman, doesn't qualify as a #1?

But don't bother answering, please, because (a) there is no good answer, and (b) I don't want to thread-jack.

Considering Stevie has had the two highest yardage receiving games against Darrell Revis in Revis' last 65 games I'd ask who is a #1 then?? That doesn't even include what looked like a sure TD Johnson dropped heading down the middle of the field late in the game after absolutely smoking Revis in the slot, Fitz put the ball on the money and he dropped it...

Considering Stevie has had the two highest yardage receiving games against Darrell Revis in Revis' last 65 games I'd ask who is a #1 then?? That doesn't even include what looked like a sure TD Johnson dropped heading down the middle of the field late in the game after absolutely smoking Revis in the slot, Fitz put the ball on the money and he dropped it...

First off id like to say I like SJ and am glad hes on the team.

That being said I dont get the homerizm and worship of a guy who is a great #2 or at most the 20th best wr in the NFL today.

Id like to break down the 3 main talking points people use to defend SJ and show how the poster above contradicts himself within his own short post. In his post he mentions how SJ had revis beat for a game winner but dropped it. This is supposed to add to his argument? what good is it if a WR can get open but not catch it? In the games SJ dominated Revis, the Bills lost. Going back 3 years, in 6 games against the jets, SJ had 3 tds, thats half a td a game and those werent specifically caught against Revis. So I could say he has scored a field goal per game during his vaunted 3, 1000 yard seasons. This is domination? People speak so highly of "yards" but yards mean little without TD's and TD's mean little without wins. The only win being a meaningless run for the bus game last season with the Jets in shambles. 0 td's by SJ in that game btw. For an example of a dominate play against revis that resulted in a win, look at the end of this video at minute 2:42

No one ever made much of this dominate play over Revis. Here a bills wr with speed and hands beats, then goes over the top of revis, outfights him and a safety to make the catch then takes it to the house for the TD and win.

Second, the argument that "just beacuse hes not Calvin Johnson..." That is a tired and extreme example which suggests all WR are now #1s since none of them are Calvin Johnson either. SJ doesnt have to be CJohnson but hes not like another 10-15 WR either. His lack of speed especially makes him limited to 2/3 of the field. He also doesnt have enough size or strength to overcome this shortfall either, like say other slowish but big WRs who produce more big plays. Vincent jackson blew SJ's numbers away last year in YPC-19+ and yards-1384. Many here compared those two last year saying they didnt want Jackson because SJ was just as good or better. :lol:

Finally does having 999 yards per season make him worse than 1006? just because 1000 is a nice round number, it is not as meaningful as ypc or drop percentage or wins! I want a wr who makes clutch game winning plays that other WR cant make. Stevie just isnt clutch, his best catches are in quarters 1-3 and in blow outs. I much preferred to watch bombs to evans for 6 rather than 6 yard slant to SJ for 0. Moulds and Reed will always be above SJ in Bills lore, they were true #1s, not number 1 targets.

Arguments for why SJ is Good

1. owns Revis in losses

2. had 3 1000 yard seasons ( :worthy: but concecutive )

3. Good route runner

4. Not Calvin Johnson

Arguments why he isnt so good

1. Missing 1/3 of what a true #1 has- Speed

2. Problem with dropsies/especially game winners

3. Barely breaks 1000 yards and has pedestrian ypc and TDs for being the #1 target on his team

4. maturity issues(past)/ injury issues (present - 3 years now with ongoing groin/leg issues)

thanks for listening.

Edited by enlightener

First off id like to say I like SJ and am glad hes on the team.

That being said I dont get the homerizm and worship of a guy who is a great #2 or at most the 20th best wr in the NFL today.

I stopped reading right there.

I would think you know there are 32 teams in today's NFL.

The premise of this thread is silly. He is the best this team has had in a long time, with an emphasis on the fact that he is currently on the team and that there is a season to play starting next month. People can come on here and say he is a number 3 receiver and it won't change the fact that he is very important to this roster. Until proven otherwise he is the best WO on this team and that makes him numero uno. Our perception of dubious rankings and classifications is irrelevant to the reality that he is the Bills' only known quantity at his position. If I am going to nitpick about what he doesn't do well I would have to include everybody else on the roster in that they all have well defined weaknesses. If healthy, I think that Stevie will have a great year with EJ throwing him the ball.

interesting, I post facts,stats and basically display the other sides strongest three arguments yet get only ridiculed with points so far like "Stevie is important to this team" . So I am wrong why exactly?

only one post uses a point about reed rice and carter also not being fast , but I would say I saw rice get open and make deep catches year in year out, and chris carter had incredible hands and was clutch and also got open deep. Reed was still faster than SJ and got open deep.

So far I see I can make the homers angry but they cant defend there positions whatsoever.

Edited by enlightener

SJ should be a very very good slot guy this year, with all the basketball jab step moves, etc. He also has the size and jumps to not only dominate with the typical slot guy sharp in's and out but also run the seam routes a taller tight end would run. I like it. Of course they need speed guys on the outside to take his place, but they drafted some guys who will have to do that day 1. So who cares about #1's and #2s and all that garbage, lets just have a potent pass game with all the right pieces and leave it at that. I don't see Detroit or Ariz. with their awesome "#1 WRs" making any big noise. This is the ultimate team game. Lets hope Woods, Goodwin , et al can play. That is the key.

interesting, I post facts,stats and basically display the other sides strongest three arguments yet get only ridiculed with points so far like "Stevie is important to this team" . So I am wrong why exactly?

only one post uses a point about reed rice and carter also not being fast , but I would say I saw rice get open and make deep catches year in year out, and chris carter had incredible hands and was clutch and also got open deep. Reed was still faster than SJ and got open deep.

So far I see I can make the homers angry but they cant defend there positions whatsoever.

You brought it on yourself by making a stupid thread and using Revis as an example. By your OP no WR that gets covered by Revis is a #1.

Edited by BuffaloFood

You brought it on yourself by making a stupid thread and using Revis as an example. By your OP no WR that gets covered by Revis is a #1.

I dont use revis, thats what all the sj defenders use as their holy grail. I debunk revis as proof of anything. I know its hard for people to hear that SJ isnt awesome or great but he isnt. Hes good and thats it. I would predict both woods and rogers outplay him this year. If rogers doesnt blow it with off field issues I dont even see SJ finishing his contract here.

I dont use revis, thats what all the sj defenders use as their holy grail. I debunk revis as proof of anything. I know its hard for people to hear that SJ isnt awesome or great but he isnt. Hes good and thats it. I would predict both woods and rogers outplay him this year. If rogers doesnt blow it with off field issues I dont even see SJ finishing his contract here.

You are confusing your opinion with fact. I am done posting Here b.c this thread needs to die, absolute horrible piece.

Edited by BuffaloFood

HUH? i in no way am saying that, using "stupid" is a strong word for someone that cant read or at least comprehend what they are reading.

You are confusing your opinion with fact. I am done posting Herr b.c this thread needs to die, absolute horrible piece.

how are stats going back 3 years and comparing several WRs opinions? please put some facts as to why SJ is a premier, highly talented number 1 reciever that could be the number 1 on almost any team. this is the argument Im making.

Re: Drops

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/21/signature-stats-drop-rate-wide-receivers/

SJ isn't the best, no doubt, but many of the top #1's seem to share the same problem. Really, though, a #1 is just the WR that gets the most targets on your team. Sometimes its a big guy who goes deep. Sometimes its a small guy who works underneath. Sometimes its a guy who's somewhere in between.