What's Will Freddy's Role Be This Year?

Hackett has said more than once that he wants the five best skill positions on the field. I can't imagine he doesn't count both CJ and FredEx amongst the top five.

Marrone says:

“I think we’ve got two good running backs that are established in this league that have done well. I think it’d be too soon to say exactly what (Jackson’s) role is. You see them in a lot of different situations. I think we have a lot of things we can do with them.”

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20130801/SPORTS03/308010052/Buffalo-two-bills-drive-Bills-break-new-role-Fred-Jackson

Pat Kirwan says:

"The Bills are going to be a very dangerous "20" personnel team (two running backs. three wide receivers). Expect to see a lot of Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller on the field together with Stevie Johnson, Robert Woods and probably T.J. Graham. Spiller can split out to wide receiver, Jackson is a willing blocker if they want to run power and there's lots of speed on the outside."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pat-kirwan/22951661/bills-observations-in-qb-battle-prepared-rookie-manuel-looks-to-get-nod

If Freddy returns to his 2011 form, he needs to be on the field. But where? Fortunately, as we all know, he's versatile. He's not a crushing lead blocker but he's excellent at blitz pick-up. He's a talented, determined runner and a solid pass-catcher. And he's also a humble, team-player who's willing to do anything asked of him. I'm wondering how creative Marrone & Hackett might be in getting him on the field with C.J. Any guesses?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the article does leave his role a little undefined. If he's healthy, he will simply kick butt every touch he gets. He always has. Freddie has never dialed anything in that I'm aware of. He seems comfortable knowing he is not the starter, which is in line with his team first attitude.

But, for me anyways, I would love to see some film of the family water polo games held at the Jackson home.

For some reason I think Fred's team most likely wins every game.

I found it odd that the title of Maiorana's article refers to a new role for FJ, but then never defined what that new role will be. Kirwan's article was much more explanatory (eg., the "20" formation with FJ & Spiller on the field at the same time).

Was thinking the same thing. I rarely read the D&C anymore, but clicked on that article. It was totally worthless.

I actually think Fred will be largely phased out, assuming Spiller stays healthy. In other words, maybe 5-6 touches per game.

Obviously, Freddy will spell CJ when he's tired. But that's it?

I hope to see Freddy and CJ in the same huddle with some mystery as to where they'll line up when they come out. Done intelligently, this could stress defenses and meet Hackett's criterion that the best five should be on the field. One play might feature a two-back set. The next play, Freddy lines up the slot. The next play, CJ goes out wide.... Maybe when CJ and Freddy on the field together, CJ is always the tailback while Freddy is the wildcard.

When your best two offensive players are both RBs, I think you need to be a little creative on how you use them. And I think Hackett will.

I know yall like this winded thing, but as I recall, CJ himself said he was winded and took himself out of the game.

I don't buy into the Fred is going to be phased out and it's going to be all CJ. Fred will be getting a fair share of carries because he'll earn them. Its hard to keep a guy off the field that's kickin' ass. Plus he'll have to be in on passing downs to pass block. CJ can't pass block for ****. And he's a great pass catcher too.

Fred provides a good change of pace and one two punch with his swerviness and power to CJs speed.

I just hope that, unlike the last staff, they use both of them. Nuff said?

We did have the 6th best rushing offense in the NFL last year. We did run the ball quite a bit last year. I wish we had more, but we did run a lot by NFL standards.

He said during an interview with WGR a few days ago that he was told by the coaching staff that they were going to go with the hot hand, so who knows, since they also said they think Spiller can get 2,000 yards. Fred mentioned they were working on several things with both of them on the field, which I think the more they do that, the better, more weapons for the defense to have to concentrate on the better.

I like the idea of the 20 personnel grouping. I kept thinking all last offseason "If I'm Chan Gailey, I find a way to maximize the fact that you have two really strong running backs"

Well, we all know how that turned out.

While this offseason has flipped the order of who is the starter, I'd like to see both Spiller and Freddy getting and least 30 handoffs, with about 5-10 pass targets a game. The best part of the duo is that, while they aren't one dimensional, their strengths are diametrically opposed. Spiller's hallmark is his elusiveness and Freddy's is that, when he's trucking, you have to expect at least a few extra yards after initial contact. Does Spiller get tired? Yes. Is Freddy at increasing injury risk? Yes. So why not have them back each other?

Also, I'd love to see wrinkles where you run Read Option in that setup. I don't if it's possible, but the idea of defenses having to anticipate runs from Spiller, Freddy AND EJ tickles me.

LEADER. Blocker. 20-25% of carries to spell CJ. Passes out of backfield. Just my prediction. Praying he does not get hurt. Fred is the Man.

Agree, though I think he gets about 30 to 35 % of the carries. There is no reason not to have both on the field a good amount and force teams to cover our rbs with LBs. they are both giant mismatches. But as you said, his biggest role is leader. I don't think anyone gets more respect in that locker room than Freddy.

Agree, though I think he gets about 30 to 35 % of the carries. There is no reason not to have both on the field a good amount and force teams to cover our rbs with LBs. they are both giant mismatches. But as you said, his biggest role is leader. I don't think anyone gets more respect in that locker room than Freddy.

Would love to see 30-35%. CJ is so much faster though... makes me think he will get the rock as much as humanly possible in this offense.