Drew Brees leaves $3 tip on take-out order

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't see why this is an issue? Why because he makes alot of money? Who tips on drive thru, a tip is for the personal service you receive getting refilled drinks and your food in a timely manner when you are sitting at a table inside. If anything, the waitress should be held accountable for copying a customers receipt and sharing it on social media.

Dear Miss Manners: When I go to Rite Aid and buy shaving cream, pretzels, deodorant, a package of Peeps, AAA batteries and a sympathy card, do I have to give Chester (the senior citizen checkout attendant) a tip?? If so, do I tip him just on the food stuffs or for the whole bill?? I always see him holding his hand out when I leave and feel bad that I didn't give him a few bucks for packaging my snacks and asking if I am a rewards club member. Help me!! Signed, Confused Person #8,762

Has anyone asked the question of whether or not her "service" was good? I mean, I'm hearing how service workers make their $$ mostly off of tips, so I would assume they would be very friendly and courteous. Maybe Brees didn't recieve good service from her?

And what is the definition of a "service" worker? I mean anyone that does something for you is doing a service, so how do you know that one individual is making less than another? Maybe put up some signs that tell customers that and maybe tips would be better. I just paid $452 for my car to be "serviced" oil, brakes, tires, etc and I didn't give a tip, but to me THAT service is much more important than someone bagging up my General Tso chicken. When I lived back home in B-Lo and worked in a pizzeria (I mean who hasn't?), I very rarely got a tip from anyone and I took the order, made it, bagged it and then handed it to them as a take out order. Saying all of that we were always very friendly and courteous to our customers because... well, that's just good business! I hear and feel for this girl's situation, but she was way out of line in the way she handled it.

Dear Miss Manners: When I go to Rite Aid and buy shaving cream, pretzels, deodorant, a package of Peeps, AAA batteries and a sympathy card, do I have to give Chester (the senior citizen checkout attendant) a tip?? If so, do I tip him just on the food stuffs or for the whole bill?? I always see him holding his hand out when I leave and feel bad that I didn't give him a few bucks for packaging my snacks and asking if I am a rewards club member. Help me!! Signed, Confused Person #8,762

You joke, but Emily Post specifically states that there is no obligation to tip on takeout: http://www.emilypost.com/out-and-about/tipping/89-general-tipping-guidelines

Emily Post vs. someone named Helena Echlin...? :lol:

Helena's books on the subject of social etiquette:

http://www.amazon.com/helenechlin

Emily's books on the subject of social etiquette:

http://www.amazon.co...ps,k:emily post

Who wins? :)

Your take on money is about as worthwhile as your take on electronics. Which is to say worthless.

I doubt there isn't a take a penny dish you haven't dived into.

I always tip on takeout. Its is not like they do nothing to put your order together. I also usually get take out from the same places and tipping goes a long way for the next time you go in. I figure if I can't afford a tip on a takeout I probably should not be ordering in the first place.

By the way... Whining about tipping is real classless. The system is not what it is in Europe. So be a man and tip with pride. That's how these people make their money. I go out with folks who don't like to tip all this time cause of work and always cover all the loser's low tips. I want to get paid fairly for the work I do. And if you wait on me at a restaurant then by all means you deserve your share.

When was the last time the person taking orders on the phone or working behind the cash register/counter wasn't making minimum wage? I think they all make at least minimum wage, isn't it the law? Its the waiters/waitress and delivery people that are the ones not making minimum wage and need the tips.

heck yea, that driver did you a service. Tip a driver.... But the girl who rang in you're order? Come on.

Nothing to see hear.

Believe it or not, the food does have to get specially packaged and bagged so all the condiments are in there, all the entrees are in there, so they don't tip over inside and make a mess. Sure, if it a pizza or a sub, and all they have to do is slip it into a sleeve or a box, NBD and no tip.

But if I'm ordering something like Chinese or something to go from a restaurant that involves multiple entrees, sides, etc, along with utensils, packets of condiments et al., then I do tip. Or if it's a large order, like $75 worth of Chinese, that no doubt took some time and effort to prepare, box and pack. It may not be the same as walking back to your table and asking if you if you would like more water, but it is a still food service someone is performing in an effort to serve you, and is often done by the same people who are also waiting on tables.

But that's just me.

Your take on money is about as worthwhile as your take on electronics. Which is to say worthless.

I doubt there isn't a take a penny dish you haven't dived into.

Why the personal attack, yet again? I thought the rules of the board forbid that.... Hmmm....

http://forums.twobil...tion=boardrules

Do NOT post:

Personal or harassing threats

Libelous or defamatory information

We need to straighten this thing out. What made you feel threatened?

Focus on the libelous and defamatory comment instead. That way there's no misunderstanding, as it's clear as day.

But yes, I realize that the King of the site doesn't have to actually follow the rules, that part's clear as day for me.

Why the personal attack, yet again? I thought the rules of the board forbid that.... Hmmm....

"Hmmm...." What are you contemplating there Einstein? Your next high-tech article about how macs can't use multi-button mice? How the iPods were doomed when they failed to include an FM radio? Is this where I insert the laughing icon?

BTW, Emily Post died 50 years ago, but hey I'm sure there is a tremendous amount of "etiquette research" done at the institute that scabs off her name....