Mark Anderson released.

Kevin

Unreal. This is typical from the bean-counters @ 1BD. No desire to win.

Sarcasm? This move saved the Bills no money.

Good news for Jerry Hughes and Jamie Blatnick.

Edited by eball

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A smallish outside rush guy who's coming back from an injury and isn't looking like he'll be in shape real soon. I'd say this is a safe release.

Hairston on PUP is a concern. OL worries me deeply this year.

Agreed.

no cap savings at all.....in fact his 2013 cap is $4.0 mil but the dead money is $4.5 mil (-$500,000).

3/21/2012: Signed a four-year, $19.5 million contract. The deal contains $8 million guaranteed, including a $6 million signing bonus and all of Anderson's first-year salary. Another $8 million is available through incentives. Anderson is eligible for an annual $100,000 workout bonus throughout the contract's life. 2013: $2.4 million (+ $1.5 million option bonus), 2014: $3.9 million, 2015: $4.9 million, 2016: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld...4/mark-anderson

D'oh!

That Anderson was cut is not a surprise -- he was terrible (mostly due to injury) last year, someone else's signing, and probably not a good fit for the D. I think the timing is a surprise -- why right before training camp? Nothing has happened since the last OTA ended, why not cut him then? Or why not give him a shot in training camp and see if he surprises you in practice? The Bills are under the 90-man roster limit, so it wasn't necessary to free up a spot. This is more of a puzzler than a "the Bills suck!" moment, though. I wasn't expecting anything from Anderson this year, and looks like my expectations will be met.

According to Spotrac, cutting Anderson puts $1.6 million of dead money on the cap this year, with another $3.0 million next year. So those of you complaining about the Bills not using their cap space should be happy that they found a use for some of it. ;)

Ahhh, I have such fond memories of the original Mark Anderson signing thread. Specifically when I said we overpaid for an overrated situational pass rusher, and half the board freaked on me. Suck it, Kook-Aid drinkers :P

Hairston on PUP is a concern.

Sarcasm? This move saved the Bills no money.

Good news for Jerry Hughes and Jamie Blatnick.

Not against the cap, sure, but it does save the Bills actual cash in the form of Anderson's base salary that he won't be getting. I don't personally think that this cut was primarily financially-based, but do you really think he'd have been cut if he was making the minimum salary?

That Anderson was cut is not a surprise -- he was terrible (mostly due to injury) last year, someone else's signing, and probably not a good fit for the D. I think the timing is a surprise -- why right before training camp? Nothing has happened since the last OTA ended, why not cut him then? Or why not give him a shot in training camp and see if he surprises you in practice? The Bills are under the 90-man roster limit, so it wasn't necessary to free up a spot. This is more of a puzzler than a "the Bills suck!" moment, though. I wasn't expecting anything from Anderson this year, and looks like my expectations will be met.

According to Spotrac, cutting Anderson puts $1.6 million of dead money on the cap this year, with another $3.0 million next year. So those of you complaining about the Bills not using their cap space should be happy that they found a use for some of it. ;)

The timing is odd. I would have expected this when it got cut down to 53 players. He must have looked pretty bad

Signing Anderson was one of many bad decisions by Nix. It will be interesting to see whether Doug Whaley is an improvement over Nix, but I was really hoping for a clean break from Nix and his staff.

Thanks for the memory. That one sack against Cleveland was memorable. He becomes one of the all time bust free agent signings. 5 games. 1 sack. $8 million. Brad Smith is going to be the next one out the door.

Signing Anderson was one of many bad decisions by Nix. It will be interesting to see whether Doug Whaley is an improvement over Nix, but I was really hoping for a clean break from Nix and his staff.

Seemed like a good signing at the time given Wanny's scheme.

Not against the cap, sure, but it does save the Bills actual cash in the form of Anderson's base salary that he won't be getting. I don't personally think that this cut was primarily financially-based, but do you really think he'd have been cut if he was making the minimum salary?

depends on why they cut him. They cut cheap players all the time too. Donald Jones and David Nelson were pretty cheap players, and they didn't bat an eye to release them. Personally, I think if anderson was making league minimum, he probably would have been cut faster and probably about the time Jones and Nelson were cut. I bet his high salary and the dead money was the only thing keeping him on the roster this long.

Again, people don't understand how these decisions are made. Nix signed Anderson to fit Wannstedt's plan for the defense. Anderson got hurt and we all found out Wannstedt still thinks he is coaching in the mid-90s.

Anderson was a bust but it wasn't a horrible contract and it wasn't a ridiculous decision. Most fans and experts lauded the move when made.

Thanks for the memory. That one sack against Cleveland was memorable. He becomes one of the all time bust free agent signings. 5 games. 1 sack. $8 million. Brad Smith is going to be the next one out the door.

Brad Smith is the new Kelsay. Let's not pretend Smith hasn't been far more productive than Anderson.

no cap savings at all.....in fact his 2013 cap is $4.0 mil but the dead money is $4.5 mil (-$500,000).

http://www.overtheca...Bills&Year=2013

3/21/2012: Signed a four-year, $19.5 million contract. The deal contains $8 million guaranteed, including a $6 million signing bonus and all of Anderson's first-year salary. Another $8 million is available through incentives. Anderson is eligible for an annual $100,000 workout bonus throughout the contract's life. 2013: $2.4 million (+ $1.5 million option bonus), 2014: $3.9 million, 2015: $4.9 million, 2016: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld...4/mark-anderson

Thanks papzoid

I think this has more to do with Carrington and Hughes then anything else. I really think Carrington is going to be a key piece on this D under Pettine and they traded for Hughes because he fits what they want to do. Mark was very disappointing as a Buffalo Bill, so not really shocked he was cut.