49 things people from upstate NY love

1. North Faces.

#1 on the list is obvious product placement. I am surprised no one has mentioned that. There are ads on site.

And Stewart's does not deserve 3 slots. It is Central NY obsession not update NY.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all have. I have to do to the same clients in California over and over..........We're as far away from NY as LA is from SF. Oh, really got it...............Next time on phone - I went to the Sabres game last night. Where - Madison Square Garden? :wallbash:

Number 9, I had have to explain to a lot of people that NYC is not a 30 min drive from Buffalo

This is so frustrating that everyone else in the country immediately thinks I live in Manhattan because I live in ny state. I have to constantly tell them I can see Canada on my drive to work and I'm probably 8 hour drive from NYC. that usually helps to give others a comparison.

But its annoying anyways. I don't talk with a downstate accent, ny state is big, its not a giant city, in fact shocking to some its more farm country, rural and mountains than not.

i'm central new york and i have no clue what stewarts is

#1 on the list is obvious product placement. I am surprised no one has mentioned that. There are ads on site.

And Stewart's does not deserve 3 slots. It is Central NY obsession not update NY.

when I was living in Richmond, i used to tell people that I was almost as close to NYC from Richmond as I was from Syracuse(an extra 90 minutes from richmond), but still it makes the point.

What you call Upstate on your list, I call the Adirondack Region.

And one guy I used to work with was from Long Island. He said they considered everything north of the Tappen Zee as Canada.

What's weird is that I live in the Adirondacks and I've always qualified where I live as "upstate." I've never said I lived in the Adirondacks. I think, as an upstate NYer, it has alway been the priority to clearly state I am not from NYC - mostly because of the bad reputation NYCers have.

i'm central new york and i have no clue what stewarts is

when I was living in Richmond, i used to tell people that I was almost as close to NYC from Richmond as I was from Syracuse(an extra 90 minutes from richmond), but still it makes the point.

Come to my neck of the woods. I think the maximum distance between Stewarts stores is 5 miles. Not exaggerating.

This is so frustrating that everyone else in the country immediately thinks I live in Manhattan because I live in ny state. I have to constantly tell them I can see Canada on my drive to work and I'm probably 8 hour drive from NYC. that usually helps to give others a comparison.

But its annoying anyways. I don't talk with a downstate accent, ny state is big, its not a giant city, in fact shocking to some its more farm country, rural and mountains than not.

I always use Lake George or Saratoga as a landmark or people. Similarly to you, I state travel times. 2 hours to Canadian border. 3 hours to NYC. 5 hours to Buffalo. Helps immensely.

i'd also like to take exception to the choice of beer we 'upstate ny'er' love....keystone????

how about Matts, Miller Pony's, OV Splits, Screamers...those were our beers...keystone????? common man

Ah Miller Ponies... Chasing shots of Jack Daniels. Memories of misspent youth hanging around Harlem & Genesee...

I travel to Europe a lot. As weird as it sounds, most of the Europeans understand that there is more to NY than NYC, because many of them have been to NYC, and as such they pretty much figure out that the city doesn't go on forever. What drives me around the bend are the Americans who don't get it. I usually tell people that I live in "Northern New York, near the Canadian border. I actually had someone remark "New York is next to Canada?". No lie.

I travel to Europe a lot. As weird as it sounds, most of the Europeans understand that there is more to NY than NYC, because many of them have been to NYC, and as such they pretty much figure out that the city doesn't go on forever. What drives me around the bend are the Americans who don't get it. I usually tell people that I live in "Northern New York, near the Canadian border. I actually had someone remark "New York is next to Canada?". No lie.

Don't give Europeans that much credit. A co-worker of mine ex is from England... When they were marrired, her family would visit in Chicago and thought they could visit Disney World for the day... Also, they were amazed @ "all the trees"... LoL...

#44...I went to Iroquois Middle School

I don't get #43 & #44... Lacrosse is big out this way and everything is named after natives! Even the state name Illinois is a tribe... Why is it so special in New York State?

Anyway... Kinda the same here, but reversed... Everything outside of the Chicagoland area is considered "downstate." Huh? Even west and into the old northwest... LoL...

Salt potatoes

Polish Living Rooms

Lacrosse outside of Central NY & Long Island is a recent phenomenon. For a while it was always West Genesee vs.the world

Salt potatoes and clambakes!

Polish Living Rooms... with the clear plastic covers on the stuffed sofa and chairs, and the clear plastic rug protectors? :o

I don't get #43 & #44... Lacrosse is big out this way and everything is named after natives! Even the state name Illinois is a tribe... Why is it so special in New York State?

The title of the article is not, "49 things people from upstate NY love....that nobody else does."

i'd also like to take exception to the choice of beer Genny pstate ny'er' love....keystone????

how about Matts, Miller Pony's, OV Splits, Screamers...those were our beers...keystone????? common man

And Labatts, I know that its Canadian, but its something western New Yorker grow up drinking...I introduce screamers to pretty much every girlfriend, they hate it but I love watching their facial expressions.

Edited by frogger

And Labatts, I know that its Canadian, but its something western New Yorker grow up drinking...I introduce screamers to pretty much every girlfriend, they hate it but I love watching their facial exp<b></b>ressions.

Now... When I first moved to the Quad Cities... There was a fellow that remembered working in BFLO during the Blizzard (would have been 14 years earlier from when I met him! LoL)... AND he specifically had me bring him back cases of the stuff... Same with a guy here in Chicago... Weber's and Genny Cream! Must be the mid-west German in them! The original Old Style (La Crosse, Wisconsin) is Krausened too. Anyway, I am not sure why Weber's mustard doesn't get marketed outside of BFLO/WNY? It would be a hit, especially in the mid-west... That is the one thing that most people ask me for when I return home. IMO, it is the missing ingredient on a "Maxwell Street Polish."