Western NY-ers, I need your dining advice!

In 2 weeks, me and a friend of mine are driving from an area between Albany and Binghamton, and will be attending the training camps at SJF on the 29th and 30th. We got a hotel in Batavia and plan on hitting up some of the good hot spots for eating in the area. I wanted to know what you guys recommended in terms of where to go.

We're already planning on hitting the Buffalo Brew Pub since it's on our way to Buffao from Batavia anyways, but I'm looking for some good advice. I've only been to WNY once and it was a drive-through on the way to Niagra Falls. This will be my first Bills-related trip ever, as I have never been to a game, either, so if you have any advice about SJF too it would be really appreciated.

The only things that I have read on here reguarding the topic is that the Anchor isn't top dog for wings, that's just the tourist place so I don't want that. And if I'm looking for a good beef on weck, they're pretty easy to find at any restaraunt so I don't need to seek it out, necessarily.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I know SJF is in Rochester, we plan on doing some driving and since Rochester is so far from us, we figured let's go a little bit further and hit some of the spots that we've been wanting to try. That's the reason why we got the place in Batavia, because we looked on a map and it seemed like a decent distance between our Rochester stop and our Buffalo visits.

And thanks for the tip about Applebees. I'm not really into driving 4-5 hours to eat at a place I could drive 5 minutes to where I live haha. I hear they DO have a Dave and Buster's too, though, so all will not be lost haha.

Yeah I know SJF is in Rochester, we plan on doing some driving and since Rochester is so far from us, we figured let's go a little bit further and hit some of the spots that we've been wanting to try. That's the reason why we got the place in Batavia, because we looked on a map and it seemed like a decent distance between our Rochester stop and our Buffalo visits.

Good to know that's why you're going to Batavia. I can't help that much with restaurants. For the home opener weekend, we always gather at Danny's South on Saturday night by the stadium. There's another location near the airport, I haven't been to that one though.

The two places I would start with are in Buffalo's Southtowns not too far from the stadium.

In East Aurora is the Bar-Bill Tavern.

Great wings and beef on weck, great service, great atmosphere. Their small but respectable offerings of draft beers are served in icy mugs.

A lot of former and present Bills drop in here from time to time.

And East Aurora is a pretty cool little town. No credit cards though.

Not too far from the Bar-Bill and right outside "The Ralph" in Orchard Park is the legendary Big Tree Inn, another players hangout with really good food and comfortable ambience.

I would consider this a good start for your Bills-centric roadie.

Have a great time and be safe.

Guess this really depends on what type of experience you want....more bar/pub with wings, pizza, beef on wreck or more of real restaurants?

BTW, I second Meads suggestion on the Anchor, at least for lunch or happy hour.

Thanks for the info guys, I will be checking these out. As far as what type of experience i'm looking for, I'm not necessarily picky on that, I just want to enjoy the western NY staples where they say if you've been to WNY, you have to go to. That could mean an incredible steakhouse, wings, weck, italian food, or even pizza. Whatcha Got?

Steve's is much better than that overated west seneca joint. I walked in the place where they wearvthe white jackets and walked after seeing their prices

The two places I would start with are in Buffalo's Southtowns not too far from the stadium.

In East Aurora is the Bar-Bill Tavern.

Great wings and beef on weck, great service, great atmosphere. Their small but respectable offerings of draft beers are served in icy mugs.

A lot of former and present Bills drop in here from time to time.

And East Aurora is a pretty cool little town. No credit cards though.

Not too far from the Bar-Bill and right outside "The Ralph" in Orchard Park is the legendary Big Tree Inn, another players hangout with really good food and comfortable ambience.

I would consider this a good start for your Bills-centric roadie.

Have a great time and be safe.

bar-bill was much better ten years ago. It is now the trendy thing tondo in EA. wings are still good. Beef is good the atmosphere has changed. I know i lived there for many years

Thanks for the info guys, I will be checking these out. As far as what type of experience i'm looking for, I'm not necessarily picky on that, I just want to enjoy the western NY staples where they say if you've been to WNY, you have to go to. That could mean an incredible steakhouse, wings, weck, italian food, or even pizza. Whatcha Got?

Dont forget Polish food, German food, Irish food, Friday Fish Fry and -of course- Genny Pounders!

In Rochester the only truly unique to the area food items are white hots and the garbage plate. Tahou's is the original, but in my opinion Dog Town on Monroe Ave does it best. Go for the Triple Threat: two cheeseburgers, one dog, mac salad, homefries, with everything on it. Douse in ketchup and red hot and go to town.

Dino is still the best BBQ in the area, but Sticky Lips is pretty solid as well and is only in Rochester. BBQ garbage plate, pork carolina with mustard based sauce, and the pittsburgh style bbq sandwich are all very good options which you won't find on Dino's menu. Wash it down with a Genny Cream Ale. If you don't sh$t your pants then your dinner is full price, but they take a polaroid of you and hang it on the wall.

In 2 weeks, me and a friend of mine are driving from an area between Albany and Binghamton, and will be attending the training camps at SJF on the 29th and 30th. We got a hotel in Batavia and plan on hitting up some of the good hot spots for eating in the area. I wanted to know what you guys recommended in terms of where to go.

We're already planning on hitting the Buffalo Brew Pub since it's on our way to Buffao from Batavia anyways, but I'm looking for some good advice. I've only been to WNY once and it was a drive-through on the way to Niagra Falls. This will be my first Bills-related trip ever, as I have never been to a game, either, so if you have any advice about SJF too it would be really appreciated.

The only things that I have read on here reguarding the topic is that the Anchor isn't top dog for wings, that's just the tourist place so I don't want that. And if I'm looking for a good beef on weck, they're pretty easy to find at any restaraunt so I don't need to seek it out, necessarily.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

In Batavia absolutely hit this place: http://www.centerstreetsmokehouse.com/

PTR

Dont forget Polish food, German food, Irish food, Friday Fish Fry and -of course- Genny Pounders!

You forgot sushi.... An old Buffalo classic.

Actually great call. It is sad that many of the ethnic groups that made Buffalo what it was and is are being homogenized and lost in the crowd. There is that same sense here in Chicago.

Hah a lot of great advice, I think my trip is starting to take shape, I think I will hit Tahous before practice on Monday, then make our way out to Buffalo afterwards to see the ship yard Orchard Park to see the stadium (any chance they let people in to see around, or is it on lockdown like everything else in the world is now?) and then the Bar-Bill Tavern for dinner, then back to Batavia for the smokehouse, and the hotel. Noon practice Tuesday and then back to Buffalo to hit up Anchor and Schwebls/Steve's, with some sight seeing mixed in the middle. Do you think I can pencil in a stop at your finest WNY cardiac care unit for the heart attack I'm about to have, or do you think I should just disreguard that?