How many 'turds' on the Bills?

And how many do we need to make some fans happy?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2013/football/nfl/wires/07/11/2020.ap.fbn.jim.litke.071113.0969/index.html

A respected agent said earlier this week that just about every time he meets with one of the league's general managers or personnel chiefs, the guy knows exactly how many potential troublemakers are on his roster. There's even a code word for those players: "turds,'' as in "I can't risk a chance on another turd. We've already exceeded our quota.''

There's upwards of 10 on just about every squad, the agent estimates. He said they tend to be clustered around a handful of defensive positions where meanness and a short memory are essential, with wide receivers being the most notable exception on the other side of the ball.

"They want guys who say `gimme the damn ball,'' and guys who can turn around the play after they get beat and start talking trash right away about how it won't ever happen again,'' he said. "Without those nasty, selfish guys, competing on a regular basis is practically impossible.''

According to the agent, who asked that his name be withheld because he's still negotiating deals, the number of headaches a team takes on can generally be calibrated by how desperate it is to win. Think of the Cincinnati Bengals a few years back, or on a smaller scale, how Cowboys owner Jerry Jones hired a bodyguard to make sure wide receiver Dez Bryant didn't find himself in any more compromising positions.

So how many turds on Bills and who are they?

Bradham, McKelvin, Searcy, Anderson. Can't think of anyone else at this time. Maybe Troupe. All speculation btw.

People I'm sure would be extremely surprised at the troublemakers we've had in the past. Guys that we all thought were quality individuals that were just criminals playing a game.

Guys like Lynch come to mind.

That's my opinion at least.

Bradham, McKelvin, Searcy, Anderson. Can't think of anyone else at this time. Maybe Troupe. All speculation btw.

People I'm sure would be extremely surprised at the troublemakers we've had in the past. Guys that we all thought were quality individuals that were just criminals playing a game.

Ridiculous.

Every guy you mentioned with the exception of Lynch has never been in trouble (at least since coming into the NFL, that I know of). The only guy that I can think of that has had legal issues on our roster is Da'Rick. I understand that this turd label also includes causing locker room trouble, not just legal trouble, but there hasn't been much evidence of that here recently either.

There probably are some that we are unaware of. But personally I'm not going to speculate on a person's character

Edited by FluffHead

Every guy you mentioned with the exception of Lynch has never been in trouble (at least since coming into the NFL, that I know of). The only guy that I can think of that has had legal issues on our roster is Da'Rick. I understand that this turd label also includes causing locker room trouble, not just legal trouble, but there hasn't been much evidence of that here recently either.

There probably are some that we are unaware of. But personally I'm not going to speculate on a person's character

Da'rick

Kiko

Duke Williams from this draft class alone have records

i wasn't saying tat those guys I mentioned had problems. I was simply expressing my opinion of who on the roster might have those problems. It was all based on no factual evidence. Based on the explanations listed in the article. For the most part, it sounds like defensive linemen and linebackers. Was simply my guess of what guys I would blindly rate to have problems.

Edited by mrags

i wasn't saying tat those guys I mentioned had problems. I was simply expressing my opinion of who on the roster might have those problems. It was all based on no factual evidence. Based on the explanations listed in the article. For the most part, it sounds like defensive linemen and linebackers. Was simply my guess of what guys I would blindly rate to have problems.

Gotcha. I forgot about the guys we drafted this year in Kiko and Duke Williams

Gotcha. I forgot about the guys we drafted this year in Kiko and Duke Williams

I think we were ranked a bit low in this NFL category, so the FO stepped it up this year and grabbed themselves a few "turds". Maybe we have enough now of this important segment of NFL player personnel. Time will tell if we need to go to the well more often like Cincy, Miami, NE*, and others have. Maybe this is the missing ingredient to getting back to the Playoffs. The proof will be in the turd pudding. :sick:

Stevie Johnson, whom I have always been a fan of, is making a "turd" of himself on Twitter this evening. It's unfortunate to witness.

You mean this? "Living in a world where you fight dogs; you could lose everything (Mike Vick).. If you kill a black man you're not guilty!"

"Damn, Plaxico Burress shot HIMSELF and got 2 yrs! This dude shot and killed another. Yet, he's going home to his sleep number mattress"

Man has a right to his opinion and a lot of people think that way. I'm not so thrilled with the verdict myself although I think the jurors understood the Florida law and applied it correctly.

Edited by Hopeful

Character is important in evaluating a player. But, some of the stuff above is way off base. McKelvin....never in trouble. Handles himself well, although not articulate. Bills would not have resigned him if he had those issues. Others, I really don't know..like everybody else here. But, I know college kids make mistakes, and many of them will straighten their act out to earn the big bucks. Yes, Lynch does fit the category. He can play which he is really showing in Seattle....he was OK here, but never the player he is out there. But all that legal trouble....he was a problem in the community. Hit and run, weapons, etc. Lynch does fit the definition. Interesting term though....our best candidate was Anthony Hargrove, who has had trouble in the league where ever he goes, but he always gets another job, cause he can play that D line! Oh yeh, Travis Henry also comes to mind,

Edited by bigK14094

You mean this? "Living in a world where you fight dogs; you could lose everything (Mike Vick).. If you kill a black man you're not guilty!"

"Damn, Plaxico Burress shot HIMSELF and got 2 yrs! This dude shot and killed another. Yet, he's going home to his sleep number mattress"

Man has a right to his opinion and a lot of people think that way. I'm not so thrilled with the verdict myself although I think the jurors understood the Florida law and applied it correctly.

The Vick comment was uttered near verbatim by the head of the NAACP. Stevie is allowed an opinion, but dear lord at what point does he learn he doesn't have to voice it in 140 characters

Edited by NoSaint

Regarding the tweets from NFL players I've seen reported by the media, there's a fine line between being well-advised and poorly-advised to publicly express oneself.

And there's a range of acceptable and understandable opinions, even ones we don't necessarily agree with.

I haven't seen anything crazy yet. Even Marcus Vick's tweets are representative of a large percentage of people.

And then you get gems from people like Torrey Smith who is outspoken but usually dead-on:

Ravens receiver Torrey Smith, who lost a brother last year under far different but no less tragic circumstances, realizes that eye-for-an-eye revenge shouldn’t happen. ”Also as mad as a lot of people are over the verdict…trying to take out Zimmerman isn’t the answer neither,” Smith said.

So you take the good with the bad and most of it is indifferent and the way it's gonna be from now on.

I don't mind that Stevie is outraged over the verdict. I mind that his comments re: Vick and Burress are completely ignorant and make him look like an uneducated jackass. Vick lost everything? BS. He ran a dogfighting and gambling ring, was rightly punished, and is now back in the NFL making millions. Apparently Stevie doesn't think he deserved punishment, which makes Stevie a moron. And Burress didn't go to prison because he's black; he went because he broke the law.

At least he didn't tweet what Roddy White did, I guess, but my respect level for my favorite Bill has sadly decreased nonetheless.

Edited by Barry Zuckerkorn

I don't mind that Stevie is outraged over the verdict. I mind that his comments re: Vick and Burress are completely ignorant and make him look like an uneducated jackass. Vick lost everything? BS. He ran a dogfighting and gambling ring, was rightly punished, and is now back in the NFL making millions. Apparently Stevie doesn't think he deserved punishment, which makes Stevie a moron. And Burress didn't go to prison because he's black; he went because he broke the law.

At least he didn't tweet what Roddy White did, I guess, but my respect level for my favorite Bill has sadly decreased nonetheless.

If in fact these are Stevie's quotes, the larger point (clearly made) is that the meting of justice is uneven in its practice.

The punishment often does not fit the crime.

While it may not be fixable, I think few would dispute this point.

It's not the verdict that anyone should be upset about, but the law in Florida.

A relative of mine is an attorney in the district attorneys office (not in Florida) who looked at the law and the trial and feels the jury did the only thing they could do.

I am not a lawyer myself, but I trust her judgement completely.