The Realization of Getting Old

ajzepp

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the hair thing is what gets me. I swear you can trim up the eye brows and nose an nanoseconds later one that is inches long just appears. What the hell is up with that?

And now my nose hairs can be grey once in awhile. I'm over!

Just snip those bad boys off.

Can you really do that? They have a blood supply.

Turned 50 last Saturday. Monday in the pouring rain tried to jump a puddle in my works parking lot...didn't quite stick the landing...broken arm & strained rib...

In my defence I attribute these events more to being fat and sedentary than I do to getting old

Aw man! Sorry for you to be going through all that. I've had plenty of orthopedic issues in my life. They don't get any younger either. All the best to you. Get well soon. Oh, and double up on the pain meds. :thumbsup:

Edited by Nanker

they gave me vicodin for the arm...didn't discover the rib pain until 2 days later once the arm pain went away..have now switched to extra strength tylenol for the ribs...today it is becoming a bit more bearable...haven't worn the sling at all today and range of motion is much better(still not wipe worthy though) but am avoiding anything strenuous on my arm....so far so good, thankfully my kids have stepped up and have taken good care of old dad

Aw man! Sorry for you to be going through all that. I've had plenty of orthopedic issues in my life. They don't get any younger either. All the best to you. Get well soon. Oh, and double up on the pain meds. :thumbsup:

I've had both shoulders operated on a total of five times. Last one was a total joint replacement of the dominant right. I know exactly what you're dealing with... ambidexterity by necessity. :lol:

Be well.

Old Chinese saying, better to be 80 years young than 40 years old. 41 is way to young to be feeling old. Get off the can, get to the gym, and start having a positive outlook.

I'm 56 years old, an average day consists of 8-10 hours of landscaping work, 1-2 hours at the gym, 1/2 - 2 hours of looking in on/shopping/cooking for my 94/95 year old parents (they golfed regularly until they were 92), going home and catching the late news. 2-3 days a week throw in a softball game. Just sayin, being old at 41 is a choice as is being young at 80.

I won't bore everyone with the details but I'm probably in the 98th percentile as far as health, fitness, and youthfulness for my age (I turned 52 in January). I work construction and I workout regularly and have no physical issues of significance (knock on wood).

People are always surprised to find out how old I am.

I have to say that I give my parents most of the credit for my health, fitness, and youthfulness.

There are a lot of factors/variables when it comes to these things and I believe that genetics is probably the most impactful (though I appreciate your comments).

A doctor would probably say its not wise but yes you can. They will bleed a little. You can also freeze them using the OTC product for freezing warts.

Knew a guy who used to "choke" them with thread. He'd just tie the thread around the tags and in a day or two, he claimed they just fell off.

Knew a guy who used to "choke" them with thread. He'd just tie the thread around the tags and in a day or two, he claimed they just fell off.

That does work, but it's so much faster to cut them off. Yeah they are full of blood, but after a few minutes it'll be back to normal.

Oh man so many things…

When I said to my wife “those kids are playing their music way too loud”

When I catch myself saying things like “how could their parents let them leave the house wearing that?”

When a friend of mine saw a pic of me that showed the top of my head and said “What happened to your hair!?”

When I buy clothes for myself I always look to see whats on sale first instead of going to name brands

And lastly….

When having a cup of coffee and reading the paper on a Sunday morning sounds delightful

When saying ANYTHING "sounds delightful"

A doctor would probably say its not wise but yes you can. They will bleed a little. You can also freeze them using the OTC product for freezing warts.

I've had them taken off in the past at a derm, but don't remember if there was a blood. I thought he did snip them, though?..........My sister is a pharmacist and she's said before that she would not use that wart stuff.

My grandmother somehow would tie a piece of hair around them. My sister was here last week and tied one of mine with dental floss. It seemed like it would work because it hurt and I could feel the blood supply getting cut off. But, I sleep on that side and it must have came off then.

That does work, but it's so much faster to cut them off. Yeah they are full of blood, but after a few minutes it'll be back to normal.

So, what do you cut them with - how do you get that close to the skin? And, then do you put pressure on it to stop the bleeding?

from the shoulders down im about 30..6 1 204 and no body fat. from the neck up a wreck--balding,couple of cervical spine surgeries.

at 55 the main difference I notice from 30 is the energy level. if I don't work out I have no energy.

I'll call it "getting older" since I'm not in the same neighborhood as a lot of you. It's amazing how much longer the recovery time from any muscle aches keeps getting.

Nose hairs bleed? Ummm I never had that happen, I use to use cuticle scissors, which hurts and does bleed if you nick yourself. But the hair themselves, not mine anyway. BTW, now I shave right up in there as high as I can (again watch the nicks, I have a big nose, I guess) and use a (japanese) trimmer thing that my GF has for getting in there deeper. Plucking works too. Nice and clean! Works in the ears too, which I also shave the outer edges of.

One last thought, isn't it strange that we say we stop growing when we are 20 or so, when in fact, I seem to have more things growing (nose,ears, hair in new spots, tummy if it is not watched, I swear even my ____ is still getting bigger) since my 40s than I did when I was 20.

Edited by bowery4

So, what do you cut them with - how do you get that close to the skin? And, then do you put pressure on it to stop the bleeding?

I use toenail clippers. Skin tags are small and at the base they are very thin and easy to snip off.

For the bleeding, just get some kleenex or toilet paper and put pressure on it. It'll probably take a few minutes so be prepared to wait awhile before it stops.

I felt old before I read this despressing thread!

I have to ask. Are some of you "old farts:" (I'm one of the elder statesmen here) feeling old because you have kids? I'm 52 my wife is........well older than me....and we don't have kids and we're still rolling along and kids at heart. Just wondering.

Good question. I'm 47 and have 3 little ones now; the kids wear you out day to day but they also keep you young and active (you don't have a choice). Last week we were on the Cape and instead of sitting in a beach chair under an umbrella reading a book, I spent the time chasing my 2 year old twins and taking my 4 year old out swimming. A whole day of that takes care of the need to go to the gym.

30 minutes on the toilet? I think the first time that happened to you, should have made you realize that you were getting old.

This. I never understood the desire to spend that much time on the shitter. Ten minutes tops.