Paying for education

Can't discharge federal loans in bankruptcy.

This isn't a student loan. And just because someone has filed bankruptcy doesn't mean they don't have earned income. This is tied to their earned income not their credit. Here's the stupidest part of this is there are already tons of "homeless" people with college degrees. Last I checked 3% of $0 is $0.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't a student loan. And just because someone has filed bankruptcy doesn't mean they don't have earned income. This is tied to their earned income not their credit. Here's the stupidest part of this is there are already tons of "homeless" people with college degrees. Last I checked 3% of $0 is $0.

This program sounded good for about 20 f'n seconds until it became obvious that it was just another wealth transfer scheme.

And without a government loan you would have never known that.

No without that government loan I would never have learned what concasse de pamplemousse was or that garde manger had nothing to do with protecting the newly born Jesus.

At a time when America needs more college-educated people, particularly in the sciences, yet families are having a hard time paying for the education, this is a grand experiment. It may not work, but without trying it what'll change? Not having educated people benefits TBD PPP and Fox News, but overall it hurts America and the world.

If we never tried anything new, and shied away from the unknown, we'd still be squished into 13 colonies, or fewer, drinking tea and eating crumpets.

With college so expensive, it would seem that there would be a marketplace for a private university that can educate students at a much lower cost. Focus on commuters and a lean staff and cutout a lot of the expenses. Hire business people as professors and have a robust partnership with local companies who might hire graduates. The Illinois in state system is poorly designed with most of the schools being in the middle of nowhere which means most students have to live on campus which is expensive. Not everyone needs or can afford the "college experience" of being away at a fancy school. There is a huge gap between the community colleges and the big universities in this area that needs to be filled. Reduce the cost and reduce what people have to borrow.

At a time when America needs more college-educated people, particularly in the sciences, yet families are having a hard time paying for the education, this is a grand experiment. It may not work, but without trying it what'll change? Not having educated people benefits TBD PPP and Fox News, but overall it hurts America and the world.

If we never tried anything new, and shied away from the unknown, we'd still be squished into 13 colonies, or fewer, drinking tea and eating crumpets.

I'd be open to the idea of state taxpayers helping students get college aid if we, the taxpayers, can choose the type of degree they earn...AFTER they pass an aptitude test to convince us they have a chance in hell of earning that degree.

You say America needs more college-educated people, but do we need more art history majors? No. We need to pick specific fields and specific degrees and provide incentives for people to pursue those degrees. If you want to major in Sociology or Art History, you're on your own.

I'd be open to the idea of state taxpayers helping students get college aid if we, the taxpayers, can choose the type of degree they earn...AFTER they pass an aptitude test to convince us they have a chance in hell of earning that degree.

You say America needs more college-educated people, but do we need more art history majors? No. We need to pick specific fields and specific degrees and provide incentives for people to pursue those degrees. If you want to major in Sociology or Art History, you're on your own.

What's your view on Women's Studies with a minor in Art History?

What's your view on Women's Studies with a minor in Art History?

Anyone stupid enough to borrow money to study either of those deserves to pay back their loans on their own. And anyone stupid enough to loan money to someone stupid enough to study either of those deserves to have the loan go into default.

Edited by LABillzFan

Of course, that's for residents. Apply that program to out-of-state students. and they're getting a great deal. And there's probably a myriad other ways the state can !@#$ it up, too.

I found one article that mentions the cost difference between in-state and out-of-state students....

http://abcnews.go.co...94#.UdjBM9jvlUk

Tuition at Portland State University for undergraduate state residents is $2,125 for 12 credits, which meets the requirement of a full-time student per quarter. For non-state residents, it is $6,181.

Nothing I've seen specifically says if out-of-state students would be eligible or not, but the following paragraph in the same article makes me think they would be...

In one of their financial models, Dudley's students proposed all community college students pay 1.5 percent of their incomes while all four-year public university students pay 3 percent -- both for the duration of 20 years after graduation. The pilot program committee will likely choose one university and one community college to experiment with the details, Dudley said.

Right we don't need another USELESS HISTORY MAJOR like MARV LEVY hanging around.

Right we don't need another USELESS HISTORY MAJOR like MARV LEVY hanging around.

Marv Levy is the outlier and you know it. An electrical engineer has a job we need coming right out of school. A history major might be qualified to work as a Target Cashier, but with a sense of entitlement.

I like LA's idea (I think it was LA). Put a premium on certain degrees. You want to be an art major--hey that's great. But you get 20% of the funding of an engineer. Come on blz: this is what liberal social engineering was made for.

Better yet, give full ride scholarships for certain degrees... provided the student is an American. We don't need to keep filling our engineering schools with Chinese, Iranian, and Pakistani students who return to their countries after graduation.

Marv Levy is the outlier and you know it. An electrical engineer has a job we need coming right out of school. A history major might be qualified to work as a Target Cashier, but with a sense of entitlement.

I like LA's idea (I think it was LA). Put a premium on certain degrees. You want to be an art major--hey that's great. But you get 20% of the funding of an engineer. Come on blz: this is what liberal social engineering was made for.

Yeah, but nozzle nut only wants liberal social engineering that conforms to modern liberal 'Fox News Bad!!' standards.

Better yet, give full ride scholarships for certain degrees... provided the student is an American. We don't need to keep filling our engineering schools with Chinese, Iranian, and Pakistani students who return to their countries after graduation.

That won't last in today's PC world. In fact, here in MD, an alien, yes, including illegal ones, can go to school paying in state tuition, yet someone from PA, right next door, pays out of state...

Glad to have you back. So we should promote history majors as way to get successful jobs as NFL coaches. :lol:

Edited by Chef Jim

There should be a mandatory intro class called "The American Economy" or something like that...that helps 17/18 year old kids view what the college has to offer in context. Too many parents, even smart successful parents, will say "do what you want, it doesn't really matter, I was _____ major and now it has little to do with my job and I'm successful, so just study what you love and don't worry about it"....that may have been true once but no longer.

There should be a mandatory intro class called "The American Economy" or something like that...that helps 17/18 year old kids view what the college has to offer in context. Too many parents, even smart successful parents, will say "do what you want, it doesn't really matter, I was _____ major and now it has little to do with my job and I'm successful, so just study what you love and don't worry about it"....that may have been true once but no longer.

Or a mandatory class explaining that you're not entitled to a top-flight six-figure professional job straight out of college with just a degree, but you might actually still have to work at it.

That would be a worthwhile class. The only problem is that whoever implements such a class, as well as whoever teaches the class, is inevitably going to be someone from within the school system, and damn near everyone in the school system has the unquestioned belief that anything that fits under the heading of "education" has intrinsic value, and that a college degree is necessary to achieving financial success.