EJ Seeks Veteran Wisdom from Aaron Rodgers

I thought you were a Ford guy.

:)

Speaking of which, I'm sure we'd at least be worthy enough to GM the Detroit Lions.

well, Ford over Chevy that's for sure. But really I'm a fan of German engineering. If we're talking about cars that is. If its trucks ill take Ford first.

Not so sure about the Lions anymore. Maybe the Browns or Jags though.

LOL -- sorry, that made me laugh out loud. Aaron Rodgers coming in to the league behind a future HOFer is nothing at all like the open competition EJ has been drafted into with a journeyman like Kolb.

actually it is because the point I'm trying to make is don't just throw a kid out there and expect him to perform. that's a good way to kill someone's confidence fast. and brett favre was on the decline. the pack was 4-12 Rodgers first year as a backup so it wasn't like favre was doing so amazing that they couldn't turn to their 1st rounder. but that's not the point. the point is I don't think they need to rush things with EJ. if he's not ready then he's not ready

actually it is because the point I'm trying to make is don't just throw a kid out there and expect him to perform. that's a good way to kill someone's confidence fast. and brett favre was on the decline. the pack was 4-12 Rodgers first year as a backup so it wasn't like favre was doing so amazing that they couldn't turn to their 1st rounder. but that's not the point. the point is I don't think they need to rush things with EJ. if he's not ready then he's not ready

The Mannings' confidence seems to be okay.

And if any QB loses confidence as he develops, the team who drafted him in the first round made a mistake.

And if EJ isn't ready by the time week 1 comes around, then the Bills made a mistake.

I, personally, think he will be ready. I just hope the coaching staff has the balls to put him in, regardless of how Kolb does in OTAs and preseason. Never forget - Trent Edwards was a Pre-Season Hall of Famer.

EJ...keep up the good work.

I think we are beginning to see what the Bills saw in him.

And what they didn't see in Geno Smith.

Can't wait to see him play in the preseason, man who can you NOT like this guy. :)

Discount Double Check!

Seriously...glad he's doing out there asking questions.

Maybe he was getting insurance advice... lol

expected... but well done anyway

I think Manuel could start. But i dont want him to.

Let him watch a couple games and get a feel for the speed and ferocity .

Kolb falters or gets injured well there ya go.

One thing thats showing up to me is that EJ has his head screwed on right .

I have great hope for him as long term franchise Bills QB.

When the pressure could not have been higher to get the pick right..... we did.

Go Bills

I think Manuel could start. But i dont want him to.

Let him watch a couple games and get a feel for the speed and ferocity .

Kolb falters or gets injured well there ya go.

One thing thats showing up to me is that EJ has his head screwed on right .

I have great hope for him as long term franchise Bills QB.

When the pressure could not have been higher to get the pick right..... we did.

Go Bills

I go back and fourth on this. Part of me says if he really is going to be the long term elite franchise QB, you almost want to see him push Kolb for the starting reins, for me mainly because I think Kolb in not all that great.

I think it's likely Kolb will start the 1st 3 pre-season games as he's experienced with the speed of the NFL game. EJ comes in as the two teams begin substitutions, which will allow for more disorganized and nervous play defensively -coinciding with a rookie QB. At least the odds will be even and, IMO, a better assessment of his play.

I think it's likely Kolb will start the 1st 3 pre-season games as he's experienced with the speed of the NFL game. EJ comes in as the two teams begin substitutions, which will allow for more disorganized and nervous play defensively -coinciding with a rookie QB. At least the odds will be even and, IMO, a better assessment of his play.

That s a good viewpoint really.

Pre season will be interesting from our coaches standpoint , but i dont expect them to show too much of their hand

I go back and fourth on this. Part of me says if he really is going to be the long term elite franchise QB, you almost want to see him push Kolb for the starting reins, for me mainly because I think Kolb in not all that great.

I hear you , Kolb has proven little and has much to prove. But his future is on the line to some degree and i am sure he is a competitive son of a gun . This is his chance to prove something where as EJ doesnt have to. Yet

And if any QB loses confidence as he develops, the team who drafted him in the first round made a mistake.

And if EJ isn't ready by the time week 1 comes around, then the Bills made a mistake.

I, personally, think he will be ready. I just hope the coaching staff has the balls to put him in, regardless of how Kolb does in OTAs and preseason. Never forget - Trent Edwards was a Pre-Season Hall of Famer.

> Never forget - Trent Edwards was a Pre-Season Hall of Famer.

Good point. The single most difficult aspect of the QB position is the mental side of the game. The preseason is greatly simplified; which means it's an opportunity for a Trent Edwards or a J.P. Losman to shine. QBs like that have deep flaws in the mental side of their game/information processing bandwidth; but those flaws will not be exposed until the regular season.

E.J. Manuel has the physical traits and throwing accuracy necessary to shine in the preseason. I personally feel he lacks the mental bandwidth necessary for sustained success in the regular season. But I could be wrong about that. This issue will not be resolved with words; but with Manuel's play on the field. I've gone on record with my opinion; but I don't necessarily seek to debate those who see things differently.

> Never forget - Trent Edwards was a Pre-Season Hall of Famer.

Good point. The single most difficult aspect of the QB position is the mental side of the game. The preseason is greatly simplified; which means it's an opportunity for a Trent Edwards or a J.P. Losman to shine. QBs like that have deep flaws in the mental side of their game/information processing bandwidth; but those flaws will not be exposed until the regular season.

E.J. Manuel has the physical traits and throwing accuracy necessary to shine in the preseason. I personally feel he lacks the mental bandwidth necessary for sustained success in the regular season. But I could be wrong about that. This issue will not be resolved with words; but with Manuel's play on the field. I've gone on record with my opinion; but I don't necessarily seek to debate those who see things differently.

Why?

GO BILLS!!!

Why?

GO BILLS!!!

If you were to take a couple dozen college QBs chosen at random, I do not think the majority would possess the ability to process large amounts of information quickly that a starting NFL QB should have. You want a guy who can make at least three reads and make them quickly, while at the same time sensing the pass rush and adjusting his own position to buy himself more time. While doing those things, he also has to read the defense; making any needed modifications to his pre-snap read. He also has to focus on taking the snap, dropping back, keeping his footwork good, and perhaps looking off defenders before throwing the pass. That's a lot to do in 3 - 5 seconds. The average person's brain cannot handle that much information that quickly.

Take a guy like Trent Edwards. He's a smart guy. Went to Stanford--and Stanford doesn't lower its admissions standards for student athletes. He has all the physical tools needed to be a successful starter. He's more accurate than Fitz; which is one of the reasons why Edwards won off-season QB competitions against Fitz. You'd think that with the Stanford pedigree and the Bill Walsh recommendation, that Edwards would have the mental bandwidth necessary to succeed.

But no. The 3 - 5 seconds he had between taking the snap and making the throw was not enough time for him to adequately process all the information around him. Because of that lack of mental bandwidth, he was unable to see or take advantage of opportunities for intermediate or deep passes. He tried to compensate for his deficiency in on-field information processing ability by focusing on dump-offs to his safety valve.

Is there evidence that Manuel will succeed where Losman and Edwards failed? From what I have read, Manuel ran a simplified, one read college offense. Whenever he focused on one mental aspect of the game, other aspects seemed to suffer. Thus far, I have not seen evidence that Manuel has information processing ability above the usual, normal level for a college QB. In the absence of such evidence, the most likely outcome is for Manuel to fail in the mental aspects of the game; exactly as most college QBs would fail.

Thus far, I have not seen evidence that Manuel has information processing ability above the usual, normal level for a college QB. In the absence of such evidence, the most likely outcome is for Manuel to fail in the mental aspects of the game; exactly as most college QBs would fail.

I know, I know... underwear olympics etc, but impressive nonetheless.

http://youtu.be/Ir8UwEaFpmw

Also, interesting article "Dispelling the Myths about EJ Manuel" http://sports.yahoo.com/news/dispelling-myths-buffalo-bills-quarterback-ej-manuel-183500304.html

I know, I know... underwear olympics etc, but impressive nonetheless.

http://youtu.be/Ir8UwEaFpmw

Also, interesting article "Dispelling the Myths about EJ Manuel" http://sports.yahoo....-183500304.html

Good post.

I liked the video, and the measurement tool they used. It's good to know that when a target turns color (as in the test), Manuel can quickly recognize and react to that. But the ability to react quickly to one simple data point is not the same as the ability to quickly synthesize large amounts of complex data. I'm not dismissing the YouTube video you showed--it makes me more confident about Manuel's mental ability than I otherwise would have been. But I still feel there are more questions than answers.

I also read the article to which you'd linked. The author is from Medina, and covers the Bills for the Bleacher Report. Prior to the draft, he believed Manuel was the fifth-best quarterback in that draft. He now believes Manuel is the best QB. One could argue that his first opinion was the more valid, because it wasn't subject to homer bias. Or one could argue that his new opinion is better, because he's had the chance to do more research.

I feel reasonably comfortable with Manuel's accuracy, so the portion of his article which praised that part of his game seemed convincing and easy to believe. But his attempt to sell me on Manuel's decision making was less effective. In the second sentence of the article, he wrote, "Literally nowhere on the Internet can I find someone with a respected football opinion to tell me he's ready to be a starter in the NFL."

Back in 1998, Peyton Manning was described as "polished" and "NFL-ready." Ryan Leaf was described as "raw," more of "a project," but with higher "upside" due to his physical gifts. "Not NFL ready" can sometimes mean "not NFL ready right this instant." But more often, it means "is not now, and will never be NFL ready." Against the concerns raised by that sentence, the reassurances given later in the article seem flimsy and weak.

I'm not worried in the slightest about EJ's physical attributes. He's clearly accurate, has a decent arm, is big and strong. He also appears to be intelligent, and has good character.

The one and only thing that will decide if he's ready, is if he can read a defense and make decisions quickly.

I'm not worried in the slightest about EJ's physical attributes. He's clearly accurate, has a decent arm, is big and strong. He also appears to be intelligent, and has good character.

The one and only thing that will decide if he's ready, is if he can read a defense and make decisions quickly.

That's two things.

I guess your point is that even if Kolb excels in preseason, we should still start EJ. If we don't, it proves our coaches don't have balls.

I disagree.

Never forget - JaMarcus Russell was a first round draft pick.

I don't think we should hand the job to EJ just because he played well in college and got picked in the 1st round. Just like preseason, that proves nothing. Lots of collegiate stars crash and burn in the NFL.

When Marrone said it was an open competition, I think he was honest and I think he was right. I don't want us to pull an Al Davis and start EJ for 3 years just because we used a high pick on the guy. I want EJ to earn the job by beating out Kolb. If he can't beat out Kolb in a fair competition it probably means EJ just isn't NFL material. On top of that, EJ won't earn the respect of his teammates if he's just handed the starting job. They'll rally around him, though, if he earns his starts.

I guess your point is that even if Kolb excels in preseason, we should still start EJ. If we don't, it proves our coaches don't have balls.

I disagree.

Never forget - JaMarcus Russell was a first round draft pick.

I don't think we should hand the job to EJ just because he played well in college and got picked in the 1st round. Just like preseason, that proves nothing. Lots of collegiate stars crash and burn in the NFL.

When Marrone said it was an open competition, I think he was honest and I think he was right. I don't want us to pull an Al Davis and start EJ for 3 years just because we used a high pick on the guy. I wan

EJ to earn the job by beating out Kolb. If he can't beat out Kolb in a fair competition it probably means EJ just isn't NFL material. On top of that, EJ won't earn the respect of his teammates if he's just handed the starting job. They'll rally around him, though, if he earns his starts.

Actually my point is that Kolb has proven, time and time again, that he sucks. Therefore, it would be asinine to believe he will somehow be better this year. And yes ... if the Bills don't start Manuel out of the gate, they either lack balls, smarts or both - in my opinion.

This isn't sitting Eli behind a future HOF QB in Kurt Warner. Or sitting Rodgers behind Favre. It's closer to P. Manning being drafted by a team with no other viable starting QB. Kolb is a backup. Kolb is worse than Fitz ever dreamed of being.

I'd much rather take a chance on the unknown, than to move into a direction of imminent (and historically proven) failure.

Edited by Gugny

• 3 weeks later...

At the risk of being called an apologist, was good to hear that Manuel did not bring a TV to camp "because I figure I am going to be spending most of my time with coach Hackett anyway".

Can't link a tweet on my phone but tweeted at 3:24 pm by the Bills.

Maybe it's fluff, but it's still good to hear. This kid seems like a businessman.

Edited by Thurmal34

At the risk of being called an apologist, was good to hear that Manuel did not bring a TV to camp "because I figure I am going to be spending most of my time with coach Hackett anyway".

Can't link a tweet on my phone but tweeted at 3:24 pm by the Bills.

Maybe it's fluff, but it's still good to hear. This kid seems like a businessman.

Yep, definitely good to hear. Hopefully he turns out to be something special.