Carlton Bailey's kid: NHL prospect

Cool story. Thanks for posting it.

I always liked Carlton as a Bills player. I recall his dad was in the military when Carlton and the Bills were playing a playoff game.

He was in the Maryland National Guard deployed during Desert Storm.

I want to make a point but I hope it doesn't come out sounding racially insensitive.

I always felt that there is a huge pool of hockey talent lost because black kids are not introduced to the sport.

Here is an example of a young man who possesses some of the physical gifts his NFL dad had applying them to hockey because of the influence of someone like Michael Peca.

Imagine if more of the kids who wind up in football and basketball chose hockey instead?

PTR

I want to make a point but I hope it doesn't come out sounding racially insensitive.

I always felt that there is a huge pool of hockey talent lost because black kids are not introduced to the sport.

Here is an example of a young man who possesses some of the physical gifts his NFL dad had applying them to hockey because of the influence of someone like Michael Peca.

Imagine if more of the kids who wind up in football and basketball chose hockey instead?

PTR

Racial insensitivity results from placing a value judgement on fact. This is hardly racially insensitive. The truth is, hockey is an expensive sport that most inner city, and thereby disproportionately minority, children don't have access to. Even the poorest schools can usually afford baseball and football equipment and facilities, whereas hockey programs are a bit sparse by comparison.

Racial insensitivity results from placing a value judgement on fact. This is hardly racially insensitive. The truth is, hockey is an expensive sport that most inner city, and thereby disproportionately minority, children don't have access to. Even the poorest schools can usually afford baseball and football equipment and facilities, whereas hockey programs are a bit sparse by comparison.

Maybe the NHL ought to spend some money to try to change that.

There must be more than this as soccer always seemed to lack diversity and its about the same entry cost as basketball.

Maybe the NHL ought to spend some money to try to change that.

There are NHL programs in places like Harlem. I think Dom Hasek spent almost a million of his own money so poor Buffalo kids could play. But Transient does have a point. Expense is a big reason. It costs thousands to put a kid through a youth hockey program. Even more if he/she is on a travel team.

PTR

PTR

I don't disagree, but the gap is equally cultural and financial. Football is almost, if not as expensive as, hockey. Unlike hockey, though, urban regions are used to playing the sport in middle school and high school, where they often have some equipment available. Hockey, though, is generally played in rural or suburban areas, sometimes at the expense of football.

We're finally seeing the positive results of soccer's becoming more popular and accessible throughout the country. The U.S. men's national team isn't great, but we do have good players throughout Europe. There is plenty of work to be done, as we are still behind teams like Mexico, some African teams, and small, mediocre European nations like Croatia, but the domestic talent pipeline is improving.

My son played against him a few times. He's huge.

Git er done Darcy (you P.O.S.).

There are NHL programs in places like Harlem. I think Dom Hasek spent almost a million of his own money so poor Buffalo kids could play. But Transient does have a point. Expense is a big reason. It costs thousands to put a kid through a youth hockey program. Even more if he/she is on a travel team.

PTR

Yeah both Ice time and equipment are a killer expense wise..

I don't disagree, but the gap is equally cultural and financial. Football is almost, if not as expensive as, hockey. Unlike hockey, though, urban regions are used to playing the sport in middle school and high school, where they often have some equipment available. Hockey, though, is generally played in rural or suburban areas, sometimes at the expense of football.

We're finally seeing the positive results of soccer's becoming more popular and accessible throughout the country. The U.S. men's national team isn't great, but we do have good players throughout Europe. There is plenty of work to be done, as we are still behind teams like Mexico, some African teams, and small, mediocre European nations like Croatia, but the domestic talent pipeline is improving.

Not to mention the girls national team led by Rochesters own Abby Wambach!

Edited by CodeMonkey

PTR

Seth Jones is the son of a former NBA player, Popeye Jones, who is now coaching in the league. There is a strong probability that he will be the first person taken in thiis year's draft.

• 2 weeks later...

Seth Jones is the son of a former NBA player, Popeye Jones, who is now coaching in the league. There is a strong probability that he will be the first person taken in thiis year's draft.

Fourth overall, according to a crawl I saw this morning.