Bills dust off NFL’s dirty little secret

I don't believe there are very many DCs who tell the team to go out and "defeat them with grace."

'Coach, Great win today! Your Defense looked eloquent out there, showing sportsmanship and respect to the opposition on every play. They seemed sincerely apologetic on every tackle!! To what do you contribute this? Were they especially 'gentlemanly' in practice this week?'

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly doubt Pettine is coaching a philosophy that seeks to hurt anyone. His words can certainly be taken out of context. The situation is hardly different than when you hit a buddy on the shoulder after he hits a great golf shot (compared to your pathetic one) and say "I'm going to kill you if you win this round."

Living in New Orleans, I cringed a little when I listened to that interview yesterday. I couldn't stop thinking of, "Kill the head and the body will die." With that being said, it's minicamp, against their teammates without pads. I really don't think it should be taken literally. Hopefully he will be more careful in his word choice.

Bills defensive lineman Mario Williams violated that fairly new etiquette point in explaining the philosophy of defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, via Tim Graham of the Buffalo News: "He usually says 'Kill 'em or hurt 'em.' That's what I always hear."

Maybe this is just what Mario "don't make me mention suicide" Williams needs to toughen him up a bit.

This is what he was whining about after he was manhandled by a Jets rookie last season:

“Pass blocking doesn’t include hands to the face,” Williams said.
“When someone tells the officials that, and they just walk away, or they dont’ call it,
that is disheartening
.”

Be not disheartened Mario! Pettine is here.....

Makes you wonder what Wanny's battle cry might have been:

"OK, guys, go out there and try to be just a bit better than them! They'll know where you're coming from, but gosh darn it, if you try hard you just might beat them anyway!"

Living in New Orleans, I cringed a little when I listened to that interview yesterday. I couldn't stop thinking of, "Kill the head and the body will die." With that being said, it's minicamp, against their teammates without pads. I really don't think it should be taken literally. Hopefully he will be more careful in his word choice.

I know that sounds bad, but anyone with some sense about them gets the point he was making, If you get in the players head, they lose focus, and start making mistakes. Now that just doesn't sound too tough, but that was the point.. These coaches have to keep highly aggressive and physical men in tune with what they want to accomplish, and they need to communicate in a way that gets their attention. I remember hearing that tape on NFL network, and thought, "Ohh man this is going to get blown out of proportion"

I am hoping Mario's comments are understood this time around, this shouldn't even be an issue.

Though based on last years play it seemed that may have been Wannys pregame speech ;)

"Guys, we are going to be installing a base 4-3 defense that is really a combination of what the AFC and NFC ran in last year's Pro Bowl. Don't be too aggressive out there, don't want anyone to get hurt."

Bills DE Williams clarifies 'kill' comment

''Just to clarify a choice of words I used: The phrase 'kill them' has never been said by Coach Pet or any of my coaches/teammates,'' Williams wrote. ''I said it as a figure of speech from my 'perspective' not literally or any actual intention.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bills-deny-kill-part-pettines-165313316--nfl.html

I don't believe there are very many DCs who tell the team to go out and "defeat them with grace."

:worthy::lol:

Makes you wonder what Wanny's battle cry might have been:

"OK, guys, go out there and try to be just a bit better than them! They'll know where you're coming from, but gosh darn it, if you try hard you just might beat them anyway!"

fit in gaps

don't blitz we have more talent

read and react

Bills DE Williams clarifies 'kill' comment

''Just to clarify a choice of words I used: The phrase 'kill them' has never been said by Coach Pet or any of my coaches/teammates,'' Williams wrote. ''I said it as a figure of speech from my 'perspective' not literally or any actual intention.''

http://sports.yahoo....13316--nfl.html

BS , he said it, they just told him to say that pc crap just to keep the league off their backs (which makes sense but this madness has to stop)

the pusification of America continues

obviously the coaching staff does not want the defense to end the life of anyone on the opposing team. but i have to say that i really hope this is the gist of what coach pettine is thumping into his players' heads. i hope he inspires the defense to hit the other team so hard they go cross eyed and p!$$ themselves. because i think we could use a bit of a maniacal identity to this defense. i would love this team to play with the attitude of "when you play the bills you better bring it, 'cuz we are gonna f'in bury you!"

obviously the coaching staff does not want the defense to end the life of anyone on the opposing team. but i have to say that i really hope this is the gist of what coach pettine is thumping into his players' heads. i hope he inspires the defense to hit the other team so hard they go cross eyed and p!$$ themselves. because i think we could use a bit of a maniacal identity to this defense. i would love this team to play with the attitude of "when you play the bills you better bring it, 'cuz we are gonna f'in bury you!"

Indubitably my good fellow!

This is the part that hasn't gotten enough attention. He's saying that while the Bills go up against their own players, without pads. So I think it's pretty safe to say he doesn't want them taking out our own guys... in other words, just a figure of speech to ratchet up the intensity. So not the same as literally encouraging head shots and cart offs.