Geno Smith to have sub-package?

If Sanchez is named the week one starter, Geno Smith may still make it into the game in certain sub packages. Is NY serious? To me, this is Tebow 2.0. They will under-mind their starter's confidence and fluency by doing this with Geno. I am clearly opposed to this but is anyone in favor? Would anyone like to see the Bills incorporate Kolb as the starter with EJ rotating in for certain packages?

Food for thought on a rainy Thursday...

Linky:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/12/geno-smith-might-get-package-of-plays-if-hes-not-starting/

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Sanchez is named the week one starter, Geno Smith may still make it into the game in certain sub packages. Is NY serious? To me, this is Tebow 2.0. They will under-mind their starter's confidence and fluency by doing this with Geno. I am clearly opposed to this but is anyone in favor? Would anyone like to see the Bills incorporate Kolb as the starter with EJ rotating in for certain packages?

Linky:

http://profootballta...s-not-starting/

I'm not in favor. You declare a starter and ride him till he quits....wait, that didn't come out right.

In a couple of years Geno's "sub package" may very well consist of asking customers "do you, you know, want chips, you know, and a drink with that, see what I'm sayin'?"

Fixed.

Linky:

http://profootballta...s-not-starting/

Why even bother with a sub-package??

Either start Sanchez or Geno and be done with it.

The Jets are a hott mess and I love it.

To me this is just that they do not believe Geno will be ready to start on week one. So they will use Sanchez at first and Geno for some situations/packages. Then as Geno catches on and gets more comfortable the situations/packages he is in for grows until Sanchez is holding the clipboard.

If it was the Bills doing this, the thread would be about how Marrone was a genius for bringing EJ along slowly :)

Edited by CodeMonkey

i cant wait to see everyone say "i told you he sucked" after the jets do everything in their power to set him up for failure.

this is going to be a train wreck (and because its the jets, ill enjoy the show).

Yea he has no offensive help. At least Buffalo picked up offensive weapons and has an incredible run game around EJ.

To me this is just that they do not believe Geno will be ready to start on week one. So they will use Sanchez at first and Geno for some situations/packages. Then as Geno catches on and gets more comfortable the situations/packages he is in for grows until Sanchez is holding the clipboard.

If it was the Bills doing this, the thread would be about how Marrone was a genius for bringing EJ along slowly :)

I don't know about the Marrone/Genius statement but otherwise Code Monkey is right. I don't think Rex is planning on making Geno into Tebow II (not that Rex did much with Tebow I). I think this is all about grooming Geno for an eventual starting job. Rex is apparently thinking Geno won't be ready to be the starter by Week 1, but maybe with more time and some game experience, he might beat out Sanchez later.

Obviously, there's some risk for Rex here as I'm sure he knows. If players (or fans) see more good in Geno than in Sanchez, they might begin calling for him to start before Rex thinks the time is right. QB controversies are never a good thing.

I'm not defending Rex, but other coaches have done similar things to develop a young QB. It's not entirely idiotic.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Nope b.c when you have two QBs you have none. And the wildcat was banned from being used in Buffalo ;)

Teams used to do this all the time, let the rookie learn the job and grow into it. That is the way a rookie QB usually became the starter. Now after last year many on TBD think that all the rookie QB's are just like RGIII and Luck. News Flash, they were rare exceptional talent.

I would hope NFL professional staff are realistic and don't have the same simplistic expectations. Most rookies have to learn and grow into the job of starting QB. I'm afraid Buffalo will fall into the trap and put EJ in too early, not because he is ready to start, but because the fans want him to start. I only want EJ to start if the coaching staff actually judges him the best QB on the team based on performance and truly believes he is the QB that will give the team the best chance to win that particular game, not based on fan expectations or because he was a first round draft pick.

There is nothing wrong with giving a rookie the chance to develop and grow at the pace that fits him personally. Making him a starter does not automatically make him a better QB, and is not necessarily the best thing for his long term development. That would go for the Jets as well as the Bills.

Teams used to do this all the time, let the rookie learn the job and grow into it. That is the way a rookie QB usually became the starter. Now after last year many on TBD think that all the rookie QB's are just like RGIII and Luck. News Flash, they were rare exceptional talent.

I would hope NFL professional staff are realistic and don't have the same simplistic expectations. Most rookies have to learn and grow into the job of starting QB. I'm afraid Buffalo will fall into the trap and put EJ in too early, not because he is ready to start, but because the fans want him to start. I only want EJ to start if the coaching staff actually judges him the best QB on the team based on performance and truly believes he is the QB that will give the team the best chance to win that particular game, not based on fan expectations or because he was a first round draft pick.

There is nothing wrong with giving a rookie the chance to develop and grow at the pace that fits him personally. Making him a starter does not automatically make him a better QB, and is not necessarily the best thing for his long term development. That would go for the Jets as well as the Bills.

How are Bob Griffin and Andrew Luck "rare exceptional talents?" They played one year and Griffin was less accurate than Fitzpatrick. And as far as letting the rookie sit and learn ... that's fine when you have a Brett Favre or one of the Manning boys ... but do you really expect EJ Manuel or Geno Smith to sit and learn from .. chuckle .. Kevin Kolb and Mark Sanchez?? Hail no.

You don't draft a QB in the top 10 to sit on the bench. Give EJ Manuel the ball yesterday.

Actually they just had that left over "sub package" that they drew up but didn't use from last year ... they dusted it off, handed it to Geno and said "sit on the end of the bench ... we'll call you when it's time"

If Geno went to any other team besides a division rival, I'd root for him. I've never seen a kid who was so productive in college who has never been in trouble get so much hate. Now that he is on the Jets, I hope for the worst. And I've never seen a garbage 6-10 team get more media coverage. It's beyond awful.