Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

For as crappy a team we are, we seem to have the best player at every position. It's amazing!!

frankly, I think a guy like Byrd loses credibility during negotiations by suggesting he's the best (just like the bills would lose cred trying to low ball him). they need to agree on a reasonable bracket (for example, top 5-10 safeties), and end up at a number in that bracket.

The bracket seems to be top 5-10 and he wants a contract he starts at 1 and ends at 4-5, and the bills want him to start at 4-5 and end at 8-10

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bracket seems to be top 5-10 and he wants a contract he starts at 1 and ends at 4-5, and the bills want him to start at 4-5 and end at 8-10

Where has reported that? The only thing I've seen is Bills talking top 5 and Byrd talking top overall from schefter.

The bills aren't talking he starts at 5-10 though...unless you have other information beyond what's been reported.

I wrote starts at 4-5, as was reported, and is frequently discussed, and in a few years ends up being a few slots lower because inevitably guys - deserving or not- will surpass him

Source: #Bills Byrd demanding to be highest paid safety in NFL. Told Bills were willing to offer top 4-5 money

if this is true, then the Bills position is very understandable.

current Franchise Tag money is $6.9 mil/year* (When the NFL and NFLPA signed their new CBA in 2011, some of the rules regarding franchise tags were changed. Instead of averaging out the top five salaries at each position, the league utilized a five-year average, which was lower than the current average).

current year Top 4-5 money is just over $8 mil /year.

current #1 paid safety is $9.1 mil/year (Polamalu).

looks like they are about $1 mil/year apart. assuming the bills offered 5yr/$40 mil with $20 guaranteed. Byrd should have taken it.

Right. Like I said before, Parker is coming at The Bills with a bill for payment in arrears. He want top azzed money for Byrd even though he's not worth it in order to compensate him for being "vastly" underpaid so far.

Maybe i am just an angry Bills fan, but i highly doubt Byrd gets number one saftey money from any team. I believe this could back fire on Parker in the end. Parker is human and think he just did what all of us do, messed up.

Maybe not number one, but he'll certainly get a pay day that the Bills won't give him. Just look at Mario Williams... a sucker of a team gave him $100mil ;)

Source: #Bills Byrd demanding to be highest paid safety in NFL. Told Bills were willing to offer top 4-5 money

https://twitter.com/...801383921500160

if this is true, then the Bills position is very understandable.

current Franchise Tag money is $6.9 mil/year* (When the NFL and NFLPA signed their new CBA in 2011, some of the rules regarding franchise tags were changed. Instead of averaging out the top five salaries at each position, the league utilized a five-year average, which was lower than the current average).

current year Top 4-5 money is just over $8 mil /year.

current #1 paid safety is $9.1 mil/year (Polamalu).

looks like they are about $1 mil/year apart. assuming the bills offered 5yr/$40 mil with $20 guaranteed. Byrd should have taken it.

Why would he take it, when another team will probably give him $9-10 mil a year next season?

Why would he take it, when another team will probably give him $9-10 mil a year next season?

Which team? The 49ers just let an All-Pro S walk for less money than Byrd allegedly wants. Byrd's best chance for the payday is with Buffalo.

I like Warren Sapp's message to Jairus Byrd: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/07/warren-sapp-to-jairus-byrd-go-back-to-work-and-earn-it.html

"What you want isn't what we're talking about here in the NFL life. It's about what the team deems you worthy of being paid. Sign your tender, go back to work and earn it like your rookie year when you came into the league and you went to the Pro Bowl. That's what you do. Whenever somebody questions your play on the football field, you go out on the football field and you show it."

"I question him because you've been there the whole time with Buffalo, and if Buffalo doesn't see you as an asset as far as their franchise player and the guy they want to put as their safety, [that says something]. If the team that watches you practice and play every day doesn't deem you the best safety in the game, then you might want to look at yourself."

I like Warren Sapp's message to Jairus Byrd: http://blogs.buffalo...nd-earn-it.html

"What you want isn't what we're talking about here in the NFL life. It's about what the team deems you worthy of being paid. Sign your tender, go back to work and earn it like your rookie year when you came into the league and you went to the Pro Bowl. That's what you do. Whenever somebody questions your play on the football field, you go out on the football field and you show it."

"I question him because you've been there the whole time with Buffalo, and if Buffalo doesn't see you as an asset as far as their franchise player and the guy they want to put as their safety, [that says something]. If the team that watches you practice and play every day doesn't deem you the best safety in the game, then you might want to look at yourself."

WTF you dumb SAPP, didn't the Bills apply the FRANCHISE TAG to Byrd? The idiocy that is Warren Sapp! :wallbash:

Maybe not number one, but he'll certainly get a pay day that the Bills won't give him. Just look at Mario Williams... a sucker of a team gave him $100mil ;)

more than likely, he is going to have to wait TWO more seasons to find out if another team will pay him $9-10 mil. if I was the bills I would would franchise tag him again next year. make him play for the Bills only or sit home. meanwhile, Byrd makes less money and exposes himself to long term injury and or poor play before he gets his long term deal. he passed on $20 mil GUARANTEED money.

Byrd's next step will be to insist the Bills NOT franchise tag him again next year as a condition of him signing this years franchise tag. WHICH THE BILLS SHOULD DECLINE. call his bluff and let him sit to week 10.

yea - regardless of what you think of the byrd situation... sapp can be a real fool sometimes.

His entire point is beyond ridiculous. If the Bills didn't value Byrd that highly, they would have let him go to UFA with no tag as they did with Levitre.

Which team? The 49ers just let an All-Pro S walk for less money than Byrd allegedly wants. Byrd's best chance for the payday is with Buffalo.

I'm of the belief that there's always at least one team who is willing to overpay an all pro player.

more than likely, he is going to have to wait TWO more seasons to find out if another team will pay him $9-10 mil. if I was the bills I would would franchise tag him again next year. make him play for the Bills only or sit home. meanwhile, Byrd makes less money and exposes himself to long term injury and or poor play before he gets his long term deal. he passed on $20 mil GUARANTEED money.

Byrd's next step will be to insist the Bills NOT franchise tag him again next year as a condition of him signing this years franchise tag. WHICH THE BILLS SHOULD DECLINE. call his bluff and let him sit to week 10.

I can understand the business reasons for that. But if the Bills are serious about putting a winner on the field, they should agree to Byrd's Franchise terms, and make use of his abilities while trying to find a team to trade for him.

His entire point is beyond ridiculous. If the Bills didn't value Byrd that highly, they would have let him go to UFA with no tag as they did with Levitre.

and additionally, if the bills dont want to pay him, no one would want to pay him.... as if teams dont value different positions, skill sets, and have different cap situations etc... around the league.