3. Charles Woodson, Packers - $6,500,000

4. Troy Polomalu, Steelers - $6,250,000

5. Dashon Goldson, 49ers - $6,212,000

6. Antoine Bethea, Colts - $5,025,000

7. Eric Weddle, Chargers - $5,000,000

8. Eric Berry, Chiefs - $4,842,200

9. Roman Harper, Saints - $4,500,000

10. Kerry Rhodes, Cardinals - $3,500,000

Most notable safeties not mentioned: Ryan Clark ($3 million in 2012), Adrian Wilson ($1.5 million in 2012), and Michael Huff ($700,000 in 2012).

Bear in mind also that it was Ed Reed's final contract year in B'more. He signed a 3 year $15 million contract with Houston. His salary this year is $5,000,000.00.

Antrel Rolle is now in the fourth year of a 5 year $37million ($15m guaranteed) contract that makes him a FA in 2015.

Charles Woodson's number above was his swan song in GB. He just signed a 1 year $1.8 million contract with Oakland.

Polamalu is in the 3rd year of a 4 year $36.5 million ($10.550m guaranteed) contract.

Dashon Goldson just signed a 5 year $47.5m contract with $19m guaranteed. He'll be a FA again in 2018.

Jarius Byrd's 2012 salary: $615,000.00

2013 Franchise Tag salary: $6,916,000.00

How much is J-Byrd asking for? I'm thinking he's thinking Polamalu/Goldson kind of money.

Is he worth $8million a year?

2012 Top 10 Paid Safeties

1. Ed Reed, Ravens – $7,200,000

2. Antrel Rolle, Giants - $6,750,000

Most notable safeties not mentioned: Ryan Clark ($3 million in 2012), Adrian Wilson ($1.5 million in 2012), and Michael Huff ($700,000 in 2012).

Bear in mind also that it was Ed Reed's final contract year in B'more. He signed a 3 year $15 million contract with Houston. His salary this year is $5,000,000.00.

Antrel Rolle is now in the fourth year of a 5 year $37million ($15m guaranteed) contract that makes him a FA in 2015.

Charles Woodson's number above was his swan song in GB. He just signed a 1 year $1.8 million contract with Oakland.

Polamalu is in the 3rd year of a 4 year $36.5 million ($10.550m guaranteed) contract.

Dashon Goldson just signed a 5 year $47.5m contract with $19m guaranteed. He'll be a FA again in 2018.

How much is J-Byrd asking for? I'm thinking he's thinking Polamalu/Goldson kind of money.

Yes he is worth it. They better not let Byrd go after spending all that money on Mario and letting Levitre go.

Yes he is worth it. They better not let Byrd go after spending all that money on Mario and letting Levitre go.

EJ3 -- you're new around here but I'm sensing a pattern in your comments. They all seem to be very matter-of-fact, somewhat simplistic statements that others are supposed to accept as gospel.

This is a forum where people express their opinions -- just an FYI. Some very reasonable responses to this statement would be:

-- Do you think Levitre is worth the contract he signed in Tennessee? Did the Bills need to invest that kind of money in a LG?

-- Is it fair to judge Mario's contract on one season in which he was supposedly injured, and during which the Bills defense as a whole was a mess?

2012 Top 10 Paid Safeties

1. Ed Reed, Ravens – $7,200,000

2. Antrel Rolle, Giants - $6,750,000

whoa whoa whoa - i always say this but remember, many of those guys are making FAR more on an average. That big old signing bonus most took home drives down salary any given year, despite them taking home high averages over the length of the deal. single year salary means very little when comparing players contracts.

#7 on that list for instance, in is the middle of a 5 year $40 mil contract.

Edited by NoSaint

They didn't let Levitre go, he chose to leave.

They don't want to let Byrd go or they wouldn't have tagged him.

It takes two.

GO BILLS!!!

... Is he worth $8million a year?

He may be to some team.

GO BILLS!!!

They didn't let Levitre go, he chose to leave.

They don't want to let Byrd go or they wouldn't have tagged him.

It takes two.

GO BILLS!!!

i was going to say its amazing the subtleties of the different situations are lost on some, but the differences arent subtle at all - they are in fact completely different situations really.

I think Byrd is a great player, but if he is asking more than the Bills are willing to pay, it's time to trade him (if we can) or let him walk. With the cap, we need to remember that Wood and Spiller are coming up and NEED to be resigned. This is a QB driven league now, and a good center and RB are very valuable to QB's.

Byrd would finally get to play in the box now and then under Pettine. Yes he's a good cover safety and a majority of the time I want him ballhawking; he's also a sure tackler with good instincts vs. the run. I have to think Pettine would love that versatility, and make good use of it in an effort to disguise and confuse the offense.

I agree with this. The problem now is twofold: (1) Pettine does not get to see what Byrd can do in his system if he is skipping the mini-camps; and (2) Byrd may be great for our D, but asking too much given the other upcoming FA's.

Thought this might be a good time to review the quotes given in Tim Graham's very good BN article a week ago or so about Eugene Parker, Byrd's agent:

“Under the system, the Bills were allowed to pay Jairus substantially less than a Pro Bowl player at his position makes for four years,” Parker said. “The Bills, under the CBA, have the ability to restrict his free agency by making him a one-year offer, which we can accept or not accept.

“He’s fulfilled every clause of his contract, and he’s played at 15 to 20 percent of what his market value is for a player at his position, and he did it for four years with no complaints.

“Now, it’s time. We’ve got to figure something out.”

The Bills met with Parker in February at the NFL scouting combine, where each side made its position clear. Brandon said Friday the Bills “have made offers to his camp that are very competitive in the marketplace.”

“We’re going to continue to do everything we can to get this done,” Brandon said. “That’s the ultimate goal. It’s never an easy process, but the franchise tag is an asset that’s collectively bargained and that we’re provided, and he has what’s available to him by not being here until when he feels he should be.”

“I understand the business of football,” Parker said. “I realize teams have choices and options, and players have choices and options. And the better the player, the better options that player has.

“If a deal doesn’t work for the player or team, then it doesn’t work. We can agree to disagree. That doesn’t make the team bad, or me bad or the player bad.”

Do you want to re-sign Woods and Spiller? If yes then they will take a big chunk of the cap. I would like Byrd signed also but there are other considerations.

If CJ Spiller is put to his best use under Marrone, and if he performs at a strong per-carry level, then be prepared to make him the highest-paid RB in the NFL. So to everyone who thinks the Bills should cave on Byrd, what is CJ Spiller worth?

PTR

If CJ Spiller is put to his best use under Marrone, and if he performs at a strong per-carry level, then be prepared to make him the highest-paid RB in the NFL. So to everyone who thinks the Bills should cave on Byrd, what is CJ Spiller worth?

PTR

That begs the question, do you PLAN to let Byrd walk based in the HOPE that CJ has a breakout year?

That begs the question, do you PLAN to let Byrd walk based in the HOPE that CJ has a breakout year?

Uh,...and we know Byrd will play up to a fat deal? It goes both ways. I'm not writing off Mario Williams but he definitely did not play up to his deal last season. That's the risk you take when you pay stupid money to a player. As much as some people here act like it's automatic, you take a chance on every deal. That's why you have to manage your risk.

It's not MLB. Cap money is finite in the NFL. If Byrd walks, it will be Byrd/Parker who make that call, not the Bills.

PTR

Lets just move on with Aaron Williams at free safety. And put $6.91m to better use. Hope Jairus saved up some money from last year as he is not getting a pay check from the Bills any time soon. Tell Parker that he has our best offer, take it or leave it. Two first round picks if you want to play for someone else, assuming another team would pay more than $7m.

Aaron Williams? Really? The guy cant cover anyone! And he isn't that good at tackling. Byrd might be a lot of money but at least you know you have a game changer on defence. I say to pay him the money, if it is to much maybe let him walk but this is the NFL if your good you cant expect playere to take a cheap contract.

Aaron Williams? Really? The guy cant cover anyone! And he isn't that good at tackling. Byrd might be a lot of money but at least you know you have a game changer on defence. I say to pay him the money, if it is to much maybe let him walk but this is the NFL if your good you cant expect playere to take a cheap contract.

Byrd's game-changing has resulted in how many wins?

Look, I'm not attacking Byrd, but inflating him to hero status is a bit silly. It may also be unwise for Buffalo to devote upwards of $9M per season to a player at a position from which they may get reasonable productivity out of other options.

Byrd's game-changing has resulted in how many wins?

Look, I'm not attacking Byrd, but inflating him to hero status is a bit silly. It may also be unwise for Buffalo to devote upwards of $9M per season to a player at a position from which they may get reasonable productivity out of other options.

He cant do it all.

Ya, that to much, but they should be able to give him something good. Hes not a come in and go out guy, hes in the game almost every play.

He cant do it all.

Ya, that to much, but they should be able to give him something good. Hes not a come in and go out guy, hes in the game almost every play.

Correct - Byrd can't do it all and he still wont be able to do it all if he gets paid $8m pa / $10m pa. So lets use the cash to upgrade multiple defensive positions.