Geno Smith "not overwhelming"

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see the Jets sticking with Sanchez. It's a do or die season for Rex. Sanchez would need to outperform Smith and take the job. Sanchez has never been able to 'take' the job in his career and whenever faced with an actual potential challenge to his job, he has regressed.

I see no value for the Jets in sticking with Sanchez.

What would you suppose they do then? Throw a kid in who's not ready? Maybe make a trade? There isn't any answers left in free agency. The fact that it's a do or die season for Rex may end up being the very reason Sanchez starts. He might actually be the best option for that team.

Not about Geno per se, but the Jets will always strike me as a team that those unfortunate to come into contact with will eventually mature out of. How can any adult root for the Jets?

kj

He may be a tad sensitive, but the Big Apple will help thicken his skin. Watch him with Gruden & judge for yourself.

I agree that he appears overly sensitive for the position he's in. It manifests when things aren't going his way. At this point he does not seem to handle adversity well. It's something he needs to grow out of as he develops. It's possible the NY spotlight will thicken his skin as you say, it's also possible it will exacerbate the issue. I don't think anyone knows Geno well enough to say which way he'll go as he develops as a man. But I will say I think he's coming into this a bit naive and doesn't fully understand the sh*tstorm coming his way. I don't think he's prepared for it. I agree with eball, they should give Geno as much time as possible to get ready on the field and off before throwing him into the fire.

The problem is Sanchez is bad, and he has no weapons to work with; the offense is likely going to be bad out of the gate, so Geno will continue to be the story even when he's not playing. This will lead to Geno getting on the field at some point this year, in a bad offense. How will he deal with making mistakes and losing games? Will his whole demeanor and his body language change, the way it did on the field in college, and on draft night? If it does, how will he be seen in an NFL locker room (the Jets have a culture where the players don't seem shy about calling each other out publically), and what will the media write about him? I'm not sure he's equipped right now to handle heaps of public criticism.

And again it's possible going through these experiences will help him mature, and handle it better as his career goes on. But who can say for sure? He would not be the first NFL quarterback who just couldn't handle it emotionally. It's an incredibly high pressure job.

The Jets seem like the wrong franchise at the wrong time for a kid like this. Geno would've been better off drafted by a team with an established vet quarterback he could quietly defer to for a season or two, and learn how an NFL quarterback goes about his business. As it worked out he'll have to learn everything the hard way.

Edited by J-Gun Boone

Since everyone is coming clean, I thought EJ manuel was by far the best prospect in the draft. Man, now I REALLY hope I guessed correctly.

Of course I also thought Keapernick was going to fizzle out, Russell Wilson would have a Flutie like career, Culter would get the boot in Chicago, no team would pick up Kolb, T-Jax would never seriously be considered for a starting job, AND Cam Newton would struggle to lead a football team.

That my friends is why I don't offer this stuff up for a living!!

Appreciate the humility but your track record isn't dissimilar to guys who get paid for their opinion.

Most sportswriters aren't right any more than we fans. They just - usually - write better.

Even if he was doing well, the Jets would mess him up. I had EJ and Nassib as better QB's coming out. This of course means nothing as they are OTA's, but its not a good sign. Ending up on the Jets is the end of your career, unless your Sanchez, because ever QB they bring in to replace you ends up getting destroyed.

Was I the only person not surprised when the bills took EJ for their QB pick? There was an article on Bufflorumblings.com 3 days before the draft where someone pointed out that they had no idea where media was getting their info about the Bills being interested on Geno and Nassib but that the staff was completely enamored with EJ.

Was I the only person not surprised when the bills took EJ for their QB pick? There was an article on Bufflorumblings.com 3 days before the draft where someone pointed out that they had no idea where media was getting their info about the Bills being interested on Geno and Nassib but that the staff was completely enamored with EJ.

Nope I am WVU "Mountaineers!" fan and I wanted EJ over Geno. Over 1/3 of Geno's passes were screen passes. Geno had better offensive talent but WV had a horrible defense. I just didn't think Geno had what the Bills need. Now for Geno he has no one to throw to with the Jets but I don't think he will be a great QB. I see more in EJ that can develop into someone that can win us games.

Actually, he was. The Hawks staff were all talking about his athleticism, maturity and poise in OTA's last year. That's the reason that he was given such a big opportunity in Training Camp right off the bat. Each of the three (TJ, Flynn and he split the starts in pre-season)

Yes and Russell Wislon also had a great showing at the senior bowl.

Say, who was this year's senior bowl MVP?

I don't care what Judman's golfing buddy said, Geno is far from stupid...and Joe 6 Pack, there's not a thing wrong with his tude. He may be a tad sensitive, but the Big Apple will help thicken his skin. Watch him with Gruden & judge for yourself.

There are no rehearsals, scripts and extra takes in real life. I'll take the kid's real life experience as a classmate over a tv production.

There are no rehearsals, scripts and extra takes in real life. I'll take the kid's real life experience as a classmate over a tv production.

Are you taking into account the possibilty of a super boring teacher who brings the zombie out of kids? I've had plenty of those. I'm still gonna put my money on the kid. Maybe not this year, or next...& maybe not even with the Jests. But when it's all said & done, I believe he'll end up being a respected NFL QB Edited by Glory Bound

or dozens (hundreds) of taped interviews, or coaches talking about him, or....

Edited by NoSaint

Appreciate the humility but your track record isn't dissimilar to guys who get paid for their opinion.

Most sportswriters aren't right any more than we fans. They just - usually - write better.

So I'm a few writing classes away from receiving compensation for being sporadically correct and wildly opinionated??

Great news. I'm quitting my day job!

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood