Kevin Kolb fan club- count me in

major

I'm not a fan of him as a player, but I think Kolb was a very good signing. I really like the experience, and competition he brings to the offense.

Kolb just isn't a #1 guy.... To be fair, Tarvaris isn't either. I'd be content with either one of those two as a backup, and Tuel (I can't believe I'm saying this) as a project third stringer.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's say Kolb starts and plays a full season after a strong training camp. He puts up 3,265 yards, 26 TDs, 8 INTs, completes 63.3% of his passes, and averages 7.3 yards per attempt. Those were Roethlisberger's numbers last season.

Buffalo finishes 8-8 (as Pittsburgh did last year) and doesn't make the playoffs. Manuel looks good in practice and is healthy over the course of his rookie year. What do you do for the 2014-2015 season?

I don't think your hypothetical is realistic. I'll stand by my previous statements that unless Manuel looks lost out there during TC and preseason, he will win the starting job. I don't believe Kolb can be "strong" enough in the practice setting to overcome that.

Let's say Kolb starts and plays a full season after a strong training camp. He puts up 3,265 yards, 26 TDs, 8 INTs, completes 63.3% of his passes, and averages 7.3 yards per attempt. Those were Roethlisberger's numbers last season.

Buffalo finishes 8-8 (as Pittsburgh did last year) and doesn't make the playoffs. Manuel looks good in practice and is healthy over the course of his rookie year. What do you do for the 2014-2015 season?

Roethlisberger is durable; Kolb is not.

Roethlisberger is likely headed to Canton; Kolb is not.

Roethlisberger is on the Steelers; Kolb is on the Bills.

There's no way to compare Kevin Kolb to any true starting QB. Kevin Kolb is a career backup and when he's been given the opportunity to prove himself to be a starter, he has failed. Miserably.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've had enough of that scenario - - - nearly identical scenario - - - with Ryan Fitzpatrick.

No thanks.

Cut Kolb; start EJ on Week 1; MOVE FORWARD.

Go Bills.

Roethlisberger is durable; Kolb is not.

Roethlisberger is likely headed to Canton; Kolb is not.

Roethlisberger is on the Steelers; Kolb is on the Bills.

There's no way to compare Kevin Kolb to any true starting QB. Kevin Kolb is a career backup and when he's been given the opportunity to prove himself to be a starter, he has failed. Miserably.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've had enough of that scenario - - - nearly identical scenario - - - with Ryan Fitzpatrick.

No thanks.

Cut Kolb; start EJ on Week 1; MOVE FORWARD.

Go Bills.

It's a theoretical situation. Use Freeman's numbers from last year instead, then. I don't think Kolb will actually perform like that, but the question remains: if Kolb performs well next year, what do you do for 2014-2015?

It's a theoretical situation. Use Freeman's numbers from last year instead, then. I don't think Kolb will actually perform like that, but the question remains: if Kolb performs well next year, what do you do for 2014-2015?

You don't do anything. For once the Bills would have valuable assets at the most important position in all of sports.

I don't think there is any way Manuel will start in the season opener. Marrone isn't going to want to start his career in Buffalo with a loss to the Patriots. Manuel may very well be the long-term solution at QB. But, he's not the week one solution. I think we are going to see the QB that Marrone believes will have the best chance of winning in week one starting in week one. I would put Manuel third on that list. I would give Kolb the edge over Jackson.

Edited by Rocky Landing

Count me in for his off the field work. He lives in an area outside Dallas-Fort Worth called Granbury which was hit by a tornado recently. He bought another home in the same area but was not able to sell his first. After hearing about the devastation caused to certain areas of Granbury he called his church and offered his original home to a family that lost everything. They can stay while their home is being rebuilt.

Well done sir.... :thumbsup::worthy:

Half way down under Kolb Helps.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/06/09/4921685/nfl-insider-landry-jones-happy.html

Last time I checked Kolb was a Bill. That puts me in his fan club by default.

I could care less who starts the season. As long as they start because they smoked it in pre-season..... and training camp. Won the competition hands down.

Regardless of who you want to start I think its safe to say we are better off at the QB position than we were a year ago. Sure hope so anyway.

jb

I could care less who starts the season. As long as they start because they smoked it in pre-season..... and training camp. Won the competition hands down.

Regardless of who you want to start I think its safe to say we are better off at the QB position than we were a year ago. Sure hope so anyway.

jb

I'd say we're about the same as last year, but with some growing pains to be expected installing a new offense. But, it is safe to say the future is looking better at QB than it has in quite awhile.

jb

The whole notion of being a fan of a player simply because said player is part of one's favorite team is downright silly to me.

The whole notion of being a fan of a player simply because said player is part of one's favorite team is downright silly to me.

Interesting. I have a different take. I'm a fan of every player who joins my favorite team -- initially. After that, the player's performance dictates whether or not I continue to be a fan. Kolb hasn't taken one live snap for the Buffalo Bills, so there's no reason for any of us to not be "fans" of his at this juncture.

I don't think there is any way Manuel will start in the season opener. Marrone isn't going to want to start his career in Buffalo with a loss to the Patriots. Manuel may very well be the long-term solution at QB. But, he's not the week one solution. I think we are going to see the QB that Marrone believes will have the best chance of winning in week one starting in week one. I would put Manuel third on that list. I would give Kolb the edge over Jackson.

Marrone's career is going to be tied to Manuel no matter when he starts. How have you concluded that Manuel is the third option? Both Kolb and Jackson have been given opportunities to start and they failed.

Interesting. I have a different take. I'm a fan of every player who joins my favorite team -- initially. After that, the player's performance dictates whether or not I continue to be a fan. Kolb hasn't taken one live snap for the Buffalo Bills, so there's no reason for any of us to not be "fans" of his at this juncture.

Allow me to elaborate, please. I'm not saying that I dislike Kolb. I'm only saying that, based on his entire career, I think the guy is nothing but a career backup and we just got rid of one of those. If he earns (key word, earns) the starting spot, then I'll cheer him on, just as I did with Fitz and even Edwards.

My biggest fear is that Kolb becomes another Flutie (dividing the locker room) in his quest to prove that he's a real starter.

Fig, I know you don't want me running my numbers again. Flutie was a lot better than you are giving him credit for. As for Kolb. Has he ever played a season behind a even semi-decent O-line? Anyone? All I can think of is hearing about the guy running for his life and then getting injured. He also, unless EJ comes out of camp by and far the started, is definitely the best option to start. I'm pretty convinced that Tjax will be released so the team can list B.Smith as the third QB to open up other roster spots