Bills have $19M in cap space

Do you know for sure?

While Parker is playing/played hardball, the Bills were the ones who held the cards to a large extent. They could have put the screws to Peters and made him play-out the final 2 years of his contract, but probably would have gotten a performance like he gave in 2008. Philly came calling and they made the deal.

In Byrd's case, they also hold the cards. They can franchise Byrd for 2 years at well under market value. The difference is he'll want to play well because the Bills might let him walk next year if he has a bad year, and teams might not be willing to pay him what he wanted/wants. So I don't see him being traded for less than a 1st, but I doubt any team will offer that anyway.

In the Peters case, it was Parker's position that the Bills fairly compensate the best LT in the game. The Bills chose to look at the situation from the standpoint of how many times they had already bumped up his UDFA contract, which had elevated that player to the 4th highest paid lineman on the team. (They also decided to reward Lee Evans at the time, though he was entering the downhill portion of his career.)

With Byrd, there are similarities. Byrd made a position change from college to the pros and has very quickly ascended to become an excellent player at his new position. The Bills grossly underpaid him for his production so far, just like Peters. There is also some expectation that Byrd will continue to improve his game. And, of course, there are the same negotiating groups at the table with Parker on one side and Brandon and Overdorf on the other.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spotrac has the Bills' current cap number at $17,573,351, and if I'm reading the page correctly, they've already accounted for the $6.9 franchise tag hit on Byrd in that number, but they don't have all of the rookie deal info.

Still, looks like the Bills have a lot of money to play with.

i will put money on it that if he doesn't get a long term deal he will not be there for spring training. Name the price and you've got a bet. As I already said, players sit out almost every season around the league. You better believe that if Burd doesn't get a long term deal, he won't be here until at least a few days before the season starts.

In my opinion, if it goes that far and we worry that he ever shows up, like Peters a few seasons ago, we will find a reading partner and Byrd will be gone.

He might miss some of Spring Training but he'll be in camp before it breaks in an attempt to miss little to no playing time. My main point is there is no way in hell he's sitting out until week 10. I seriously doubt he'll miss a single game.

He might miss some of Spring Training but he'll be in camp before it breaks in an attempt to miss little to no playing time. My main point is there is no way in hell he's sitting out until week 10. I seriously doubt he'll miss a single game.

i have stated that he doesn't need to sit out any regular season games. The fact that he missed training camp and pre season games will force the Bills hand to make a deal for Byrd.

But ill go all on on a 12 pack with in a bet here. If Byrd doesn't get a long term deal done, I'm betting you he will not see the field Until at least opening day.

My personal opinion is that if that happens, he will be traded. But the bet is that without a long term deal, he doesn't show. Anytime you wanna take that bet I'm game.

Why is everyone referring to it as "spring training."

This is football. It's held in July which I believe is in the summer.

It's called "Training Camp."

Shhh... I've gotta get ready to go to Fredonia to watch the team.

i have stated that he doesn't need to sit out any regular season games. The fact that he missed training camp and pre season games will force the Bills hand to make a deal for Byrd.

But ill go all on on a 12 pack with in a bet here. If Byrd doesn't get a long term deal done, I'm betting you he will not see the field Until at least opening day.

My personal opinion is that if that happens, he will be traded. But the bet is that without a long term deal, he doesn't show. Anytime you wanna take that bet I'm game.

i wont bet, as so much of it will depend on things we just dont know but i wouldnt be surprised if he was a late arrival. i just dont think itll be late enough to become a major issue.

out of curiosity, anyone care to look up parkers record with franchise players? im wonder if he has a typical course of action we can glean some information from.

Hah, I'm in baseball mode, that's why. My bad.

Shhh... I've gotta get ready to go to Fredonia to watch the team.

I'm having trouble keeping track of the bet. You are saying, without a long term contract, he won;t see the field until at least opening day. That means on opening day he will be playing for the Bills. Yet you also say he won't play for the Bills if he doesn't have a dela by opening day. And that we will trade him for a 2 and 4th.

What is the bet?

I'm having trouble keeping track of the bet. You are saying, without a long term contract, he won;t see the field until at least opening day. That means on opening day he will be playing for the Bills. Yet you also say he won't play for the Bills if he doesn't have a dela by opening day. And that we will trade him for a 2 and 4th.

What is the bet?

whether he was drunk when posting?

What is the bet?

i think hes settled for no participation in camp or preseason, suits up for week 1 for someone. unless of course hes traded tomorrow, which may be a push?

i think hes settled for no participation in camp or preseason, suits up for week 1 for someone. unless of course hes traded tomorrow, which may be a push?

thats it. In a nut shell.

I'm betting that without a long term deal he sits out all of training camp and pre season.

He will probably come back before game 1.

However, IMO, I feel that if he sits that long, the Bills will look for trade partners. It's also my opinion that we will be under compensated for him.

But the bet would be that he sits out all of training camp and ore season without a long term deal.

thats it. In a nut shell.

I'm betting that without a long term deal he sits out all of training camp and pre season.

He will probably come back before game 1.

However, IMO, I feel that if he sits that long, the Bills will look for trade partners. It's also my opinion that we will be under compensated for him.

But the bet would be that he sits out all of training camp and ore season without a long term deal.

If he comes in by week 1 I don't see much reason to trade him.

Even going by your assumption that the Bills aren't willing to pay him the going rate, they can play out the year on the tender. If he struggles due to missing preseason they can let him walk next offseason, if he plays well they can franchise and trade him.

Edited by J-Gun Boone

If he comes in by week 1 I don't see much reason to trade him.

The reason to trade him will be that only Byrd knows if he will be back by week 1. And because of that, the Bills will wonder if he's back at all, at that point they may look for trade offers.

The reason to trade him will be that only Byrd knows if he will be back by week 1. And because of that, the Bills will wonder if he's back at all, at that point they may look for trade offers.

Well anything may happen. Personally I don't see Brandon, Whaley and Marrone as particularly neurotic. The trading deadline is what, week 6? IMO they'd have to be a pretty panicky bunch to be unwilling to wait and see if Jairus comes in by opening day.

I know this shouldn't be the nature of my thinking but I got so used to losing that I don't mind saving some cap dollars after we take care of Byrd and Wood to maybe get a nice free agent pickup next year...

I'm happy with our squad this year believe it or not... Looks like a completely different Bills team than we're used to that's for sure... We're young, we're fast, we've let go of baggage and kept the good players on the team... Almost everything that us as fans have asked for, the front office has provided... We got rid of the injury prone McGee who was just taking up space, FINALLY got rid of Kelsay, nomore Fitz, nomore Gailey and his spread offense, picked up a QB, got him some young fast weapons at receiver and got some decent free agents in here with Manny Lawson being my favorite... I believe that guy will surprise a lot of folks on here.

This year is the 1st year I can say that a head coach of the Buffalo Bills really truly deserves 3 years on the job to determine what he does to this franchise... He doesn't deserve to get his head chopped off if this year ends up being a losing season with all the new players and young guys we've added... If he can turn some of these young guys we drafted into starters and make last year's starters better than they ever were, then this guy is a keeper and it will show in about 2 or 3 years...

Getting back to the topic at hand, I say focus using cap space on players we already have and like and leave the rest for next year...

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.

Now that all of the Bills 2013 picks have agreed to contracts and Doug Legursky has been signed, how much cap space remains? How should the remaining cap space by utilized- Save it? Try to get a long term deal done with Byrd? Extend the contracts of Wood or Spiller?

In my opinion, it makes little sense to extend either Wood or Spiller right now. Wood has had injury troubles, so giving him a deal mid-season or postseason next year would make more sense: if he gets injured again this year, his earning potential goes down, and if he plays well and doesn't get injured, then we have good reason for him to remain on the team. Regarding Spiller, I'm sure that the Bills will create a contract commensurate to his playing level, but I just don't see it happening this offseason- I envision more along the lines of next offseason or further down the road.

Finally, do you think that the Bills should cave in to Byrd's alleged demands of 9M per year, or stick to their offer of 7M roughly? Byrd is a special player, no question..

Edited by Sumin

Bump.

Now that all of the Bills 2013 picks have agreed to contracts and Doug Legursky has been signed, how much cap space remains? How should the remaining cap space by utilized- Save it? Try to get a long term deal done with Byrd? Extend the contracts of Wood or Spiller?

In my opinion, it makes little sense to extend either Wood or Spiller right now. Wood has had injury troubles, so giving him a deal mid-season or postseason next year would make more sense: if he gets injured again this year, his earning potential goes down, and if he plays well and doesn't get injured, then we have good reason for him to remain on the team. Regarding Spiller, I'm sure that the Bills will create a contract commensurate to his playing level, but I just don't see it happening this offseason- I envision more along the lines of next offseason or further down the road.

Finally, do you think that the Bills should cave in to Byrd's alleged demands of 9M per year, or stick to their offer of 7M roughly? Byrd is a special player, no question..

Wood - extend contract but put incentives based on number of games. He plays more games and he gets more money.

Byrd - not at 9 million. Play hardball. if we had chance to advance in playoffs might be different situation.

Spiller - depends if he is willing to sign a deal which gives him money upfront early rather than later. Spiller could take chance and get hurt.

Because baseball is so boring that it warps time-space. It's the only sport where a radio broadcast has about 45 minutes of dead air, that somehow is still more entertaining than 3 hours of the color analyst.

Realists are getting hit hard on this thread. I love Byrd. I want to sign him. But we already drafted two S in anticipation of him leaving. He's smart. His agent smells money on the open market. Unless EJ shines in camp and Mario shuts his expensive mouth, I don't see him staying just because he likes the wings here.