Beer Snobs Unite

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought a 6 of Dogfish Head 60 minute on your recommendations and a 6 of Founders All Day IPA. Opened bottle of Dogfish Head 60 min and all I can say is "wow"...not overbearing with hops but really smooth, delicious.

I'll advise how the Founders is and plan on getting the Raging B word later this weekend. I saw it there.

My place didn't have Lagunitas, Victory, Stones, Ommegang or Anderson.

This 60 min IPA is really excellent. Thanks fellas.

St. Bernardus abt. 12

I remember I asked you for advice ( :o ) regarding beer seeing I knew you knew your stuff. And you mentioned Dogfish Head IPA. 60 minute? Good and hoppy. 90 minute? Really hoppy. 120 minute? What the !@#$ where they thinking?? :lol:

I've kind of gone of the real hoppy IPA's. Too fruity for me. I like the ambers and browns. Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron is fantastic. Be careful though it's 12 abv and expensive. My go to "just want a draft" is Anchor Steam. We used to live a few blocks from Anchor Brewing when we lived in SF. We could smell when they were discarding the spent grains. The whole neighborhood spelled like whole wheat bread.

I'll look for it...my selection of Dogfish Head was limited, but I agree, it's nice to switch over to darker beers also.

Guinness dark or Labraya Tar Pits dark??

Le Brea. :lol:

I am sick of beer snobs. Every one I know is one:"ooh, so hoppy, with a hint of orange." For real??!!!

Yeah it's funny the looks I get when I say I'm off IPA's. It's like breaking open a joint, pouring it in your beer and adding a squeeze of grapefruit. :thumbdown:

Le Brea. :lol:

My familiarity with "Le Brea" tar pits is based exclusively on the Bugs Bunny episode where he asks the little Scottish golfer guy "Hey McDoc...can you tell me the fastest way to get to the Le Brea tarrrrrr pits?". Hence, my inability to spell it correctly.

By the way, the Founders IPA was mega-hoppy but good.

So far so good on suggestions.

My familiarity with "Le Brea" tar pits is based exclusively on the Bugs Bunny episode where he asks the little Scottish golfer guy "Hey McDoc...can you tell me the fastest way to get to the Le Brea tarrrrrr pits?". Hence, my inability to spell it correctly.

By the way, the Founders IPA was mega-hoppy but good.

So far so good on suggestions.

I lived not far from La Brea when I lived in LA. I just love your phonetic spelling of it. :thumbsup:

I like a good snobby beer as much as anyone. Frankly I'm partial to Heffeweissens like Franziskaner. I also like beers from Unibroue like Le Fin du Monde.

But I also like good cheap beer. And I'll get flack from some folks but I think pretty much anything from Yuengling is very good, especially since it's priced like PBR. In fact I'm in Maryland this weekend and on my way down here I stopped in my favorite Delaware liquor store and stocked up on cases of Old Chesterfield Ale and Black & Tan. (Yuengling is not available in New England.) At $16.99 a case you can't beat the quality and value.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

not to pick nits, but i consider myself a beer geek, not a beer snob...while i prefer the craft/micro beers to the major breweries, i will not not drink one on occasion....that said welcome to the club...its fun to discover new beers...if you do social media, check out untappd, its an app you can 'check in' and rate beers you drink...its a nice way to catalog what you have had....

https://untappd.com/

So up until last year, I always drank Coors Light, Bud Light or Corona (in the summer)...never developed a taste for richer beer.

Suddenly, this past year I have bought all kinds of different beer just to experience the different flavors (hops, barley, sweet, bitter, etc). I'm really enjoying this and feel that I am growing into a beer snob...I need alot more training and there is much work to be done.

Thus far, my favorites are:

Red Hook Long Hammer IPA

Davidson Brothers (here in Glens Falls) Dacker Ale

Carlsburg

Otter Creek (green label - Hops)

I'm heading over to buy some different beer for this weekend - any suggestions you have are appreciated for a beer snob newbie like myself.

i was driving to and from richmond all day yesterday...funny i posted here before i saw your post :-)

Why hasn't Poojer posted in this thread?

Chimay Grande Reserve - Run, don't walk to your nearest beer snob center and pick up a bottle of this TODAY.

Chimay is one of the few makers for which every type of beer they make is amazing to me. I got a mix pack (came with a drinking vessel) for a holiday this past year: a white, blue, and red, and it was by far the best mix pack beer gift ever.

Chimay released a 150th anniversary beer "Speciale Cent Cinquante" that was amazing. If you can still find it, it's worth every penny.

I will 2nd the Lagunitas Little Sumpin', but they also have a "Brown Sugga" that is awesome.

Also Anderson Valley is a good beer. I haven't had one I haven't liked yet. The Boont Amber is good, but the Brother Davids Abbey Ale is also good. I haven't had their Wild Turkey Barrel Stout yet, but a guy I work with says it's very hard to get, but worth it if you can get it.

If you like hoppy, then Dust Bowl's (Turlock, CA.) "Hops of Wrath" is good.

I only have two Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA left...amazing.

So I have no place to buy the Lagunitas...is this a California thing??

I saw Widmer at my beer outlet so that may be next on the list...and Raging B word. Have not found Anderson either.

Chimay is one of the few makers for which every type of beer they make is amazing to me. I got a mix pack (came with a drinking vessel) for a holiday this past year: a white, blue, and red, and it was by far the best mix pack beer gift ever.

Chimay released a 150th anniversary beer "Speciale Cent Cinquante" that was amazing. If you can still find it, it's worth every penny.

That's about three votes for Chimay so I will see if they have it. Thx.

I only have two Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA left...amazing.

So I have no place to buy the Lagunitas...is this a California thing??

I saw Widmer at my beer outlet so that may be next on the list...and Raging B word. Have not found Anderson either.

That's about three votes for Chimay so I will see if they have it. Thx.

Not sure how far east Lagunitas goes but it's very easy to find here. Grocery stores carry it. But then again they're only 45 minutes away from where I live.

Lagunitas Sucks!!!

- a personal favorite

Not sure how far east Lagunitas goes but it's very easy to find here. Grocery stores carry it. But then again they're only 45 minutes away from where I live.

Did some beer tasting 2 years ago when we went to Hawaii. Went to a brewery and got a tee shirt last beer before tomorrow.

Ordered a sampler, 10 6oz samples. . Good thing I had help with the samples, I was driving.