Beer Snobs Unite

So up until last year, I always drank Coors Light, Bud Light or Corona (in the summer)...never developed a taste for richer beer.

Suddenly, this past year I have bought all kinds of different beer just to experience the different flavors (hops, barley, sweet, bitter, etc). I'm really enjoying this and feel that I am growing into a beer snob...I need alot more training and there is much work to be done.

Thus far, my favorites are:

Red Hook Long Hammer IPA

Davidson Brothers (here in Glens Falls) Dacker Ale

Carlsburg

Otter Creek (green label - Hops)

I'm heading over to buy some different beer for this weekend - any suggestions you have are appreciated for a beer snob newbie like myself.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as widely available beer, you can never go wrong with Anderson Valley, Widmer Brothers or even New Belgium, in my opinion.

I've never had Davidson Brothers or Otter Creek. Red Hook is OK, and I'm not sure I've ever had a fresh Carlsburg.

You're in Glens Falls???

Jauronimo is quite the beer connoisseur, so I'm sure he'll chime in.

Me, personally, I like Belgian beer. Leffe, Hoegaarden and Stella are a few you can get right at Hannaford/Price Chopper.

One beer that I tried and loved was Raging B word beer by Flying Dog Brewery. You can find that at Price Chopper. It's a Belgian-style IPA and packs a punch. A 6-pack will have you feeling fantastic.

IPA's: Bell's Two hearted Ale, Dogfish head 60 minute, Bear Republic Racer 5, New Belgium Ranger.

American Pale Ales: Great Lakes Burning River, Victory Headwaters, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Anything else from this list:

http://www.homebrewe...eers-in-america

I'll look for Bell's and Great Lakes.

Dogfish was great, Sierra Nevada is also nice.

You're in Glens Falls???

Jauronimo is quite the beer connoisseur, so I'm sure he'll chime in.

Me, personally, I like Belgian beer. Leffe, Hoegaarden and Stella are a few you can get right at Hannaford/Price Chopper.

One beer that I tried and loved was Raging B word beer by Flying Dog Brewery. You can find that at Price Chopper. It's a Belgian-style IPA and packs a punch. A 6-pack will have you feeling fantastic.

Stella excellent. Want to try new ones so I'll keep my eye out for the Raging B word or the Leffe.

Yep, right near Glens Falls.

You guys notice that alot of beers now are 6% (Red Hook Long Hammer and others)...when we were in HS we would go to Ft Erie and get cases of Bradors just because the alcohol content was 6% (or maybe 6.5%)....I guess all the manufacturers are now making more potent brew.

As far as widely available beer, you can never go wrong with Anderson Valley, Widmer Brothers or even New Belgium, in my opinion.

I've never had Davidson Brothers or Otter Creek. Red Hook is OK, and I'm not sure I've ever had a fresh Carlsburg.

Anderson Valley found in grocery store?? Never saw it. Will try.

I'm gonna be sleeping for a week if I try all these this weekend.

I'm all about the hops right now. Victory's Hop Devil, Heavy Seas' Loose Cannon, DogfishHead 60 minute and 90 minute IPAs, Stone's Arrogant Bastard, Double Bastard, IPA, Pale Ale and Ruination are all superb. I like Ithaca's Flower Power.

Theres a few different breweries which I tend to gravitate toward. The aforementioned Victory, Stone, Dogfish, and Heavy Seas, as well as Rogue, Lagunitas and Goose Island.

I'm all about the hops right now. Victory's Hop Devil, Heavy Seas' Loose Cannon, DogfishHead 60 minute and 90 minute IPAs, Stone's Arrogant Bastard, Double Bastard, IPA, Pale Ale and Ruination are all superb. I like Ithaca's Flower Power.

Theres a few different breweries which I tend to gravitate toward. The aforementioned Victory, Stone, Dogfish, and Heavy Seas, as well as Rogue, Lagunitas and Goose Island.

I made the deadly sin of ordering a Goose Island "3-12" two weekends ago, instead of the correct "3-1-2." That was embarrassing. Good beer!

I made the deadly sin of ordering a Goose Island "3-12" two weekends ago, instead of the correct "3-1-2." That was embarrassing. Good beer!

Who's the chick in your avatar?

Lagunitas is one of my favorite. And Sam Adams has a number of beers I enjoy.

Hops are great...that Otter Creek Hops I have is pretty bitter...(not as bitter as grapefruit juice, but you get the idea). I saw KD liked Lagunitas so I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a 6 pack of:

Lagunitas

Bell's

Raging B word

Anderson

and Dogfish

(assuming my local big beer store has these)

I've kind of gone of the real hoppy IPA's. Too fruity for me. I like the ambers and browns. Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron is fantastic. Be careful though it's 12 abv and expensive. My go to "just want a draft" is Anchor Steam. We used to live a few blocks from Anchor Brewing when we lived in SF. We could smell when they were discarding the spent grains. The whole neighborhood spelled like whole wheat bread.