The Steeler Way

Doug Whaley referred to the "Steeler Way" as being a mindset where failure is not an option (paraphrase). My observations of One Bills Drive (Brandon, Whaley, Marrone) is that this is the "new norm" for the Bills. Obviously, there is still a lot to prove, but there seems to be a greater emphasis on high expectations and accountability than there was in the past. As an avid Ohio State Buckeye fan, I sense some parallels between Urban Meyer's standards of excellence and Doug Marrone's. Here's to hoping that I'm right.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. We'll see if it turns into results in the Win Loss column... but the past decade has been a "We're improving, we are shooting for the playoffs, we expect to be better" instead of "We have one goal, and that is to win the Superbowl... every year."

We also dropped over 100 years of age at the top with the promotions of Brandon and Whaley along with the hiring of Marrone. I sense a more aggressive down to business attitude and culture in the making but whether it translates to more wins on the field is something we have to wait to see.

The Steeler Way ? No coincidence they have had a decent QB in place for the last 10 years. I wonder how the Bills would have fared with Big Ben in the last 10 years. And how would the Steelers have fared with Losman, Fitzpatrick & Edwards. With a decent QB who can win games and especially win close games at the end life is a lot easier. Massive impact in the Wins column and makes everyone look good. Not sure how much impact Whaley had on the successful Pittsburgh teams and how much credit he deserves. If EJ turns out above average then Whaley will probably enjoy a long and happy stay as GM.

The Steeler Way ? No coincidence they have had a decent QB in place for the last 10 years. I wonder how the Bills would have fared with Big Ben in the last 10 years. And how would the Steelers have fared with Losman, Fitzpatrick & Edwards. With a decent QB who can win games and especially win close games at the end life is a lot easier. Massive impact in the Wins column and makes everyone look good. Not sure how much impact Whaley had on the successful Pittsburgh teams and how much credit he deserves. If EJ turns out above average then Whaley will probably enjoy a long and happy stay as GM.

How has that defense worked out for them the past 10+ years? They built most of their team through the draft and I hope for some of that success with the Bills

Its amazing how you can hit at ONE position and then you look like geniouses year in and year out......

quarterback

Before Tom Brady the patriots were an afterthought

Before Big Ben the steelers struggled for quite a while

Still though.....brining in guys who have been part of winning organizations to run the show is a very smart idea....

While I am excited for all of the changes here in Buffalo and looking forward to the upcoming season I am reluctant to buy into a concept of "Accountability" being what turns this franchise around. Its going to take players that fit into a system that works. With every change in head coach comes a new "plan" and every new plan requires new pieces. We have been plagued by a continuing cycle of rebuilding because we have not acquired the right pieces to install on offense AND defense to give us a playoff birth. We are trying to build a Cadillac but we keep buying Kia parts. I am excited to see an offensive coach that seems to know exactly what he wants and drafted guys who should be offensive difference makers. I am excited to have a DC next to our head coach, with a proven track record in a CURRENT nfl, that came to Buffalo because of what he thought he could build with the parts Nix acquired. While none of these things may give us results on the field I am rejuvenated and ready to roll with the new, young , revamped team. It's time to wipe the smug look off the faces of Pats fans for good. Can't wait for Week 1 and can't wait to roll with EJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always BILLIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!

Its amazing how you can hit at ONE position and then you look like geniouses year in and year out......

quarterback

Before Tom Brady the patriots were an afterthought

Before Big Ben the steelers struggled for quite a while

Still though.....brining in guys who have been part of winning organizations to run the show is a very smart idea....

In the last 22 seasons the Steelers have only had 4 losing seasons. They barely struggled at all with or without him

I am drinking the Kool-Aid as well. The Steelers mentality is one that I am all for. They expect to compete every year. Yes they have a QB but they went to a Super Bowl with Neil O'Donnell. Even when they are not that good (I don't think that they are very good right now) their expectation is to compete for a title. I am a little over the goal being to get to the playoffs. I realize that it has been a long time but the goal is a championship. I am glad that they are not trying to plug mediocre veterans in with the hopes of a 10-6 record and a wildcard berth. I think that this regime is really only concerned with winning a title and that's a good thing.

Doug Whaley referred to the "Steeler Way" as being a mindset where failure is not an option (paraphrase). My observations of One Bills Drive (Brandon, Whaley, Marrone) is that this is the "new norm" for the Bills. Obviously, there is still a lot to prove, but there seems to be a greater emphasis on high expectations and accountability than there was in the past. As an avid Ohio State Buckeye fan, I sense some parallels between Urban Meyer's standards of excellence and Doug Marrone's. Here's to hoping that I'm right.

That sounds better than its hard to win in the NFL.

Well, if Marrone doesn't work out, it would be just about the right time for Meyer to jump to the NFL!

In the last 22 seasons the Steelers have only had 4 losing seasons. They barely struggled at all with or without him

Hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good rant based off a totally false assumption!

Edited by jeremy2020

I am all for that approach. It beats "winning is hard and therefore failure is the next best option".