2013 Draft Confessional: Has this EJ pick made you an emotional mess?

As a Bills fan, this pick was exciting. Nobody cared about the first pick. NFL fans and the media were waiting for the fireworks to start with "our" pick. Furthermore, the whole backstory with the QB drama made the whole thing go off the charts. The drama was further enhanced by our trade and the clock ticked. The unexpected choice of EJ blew everyone away and we were the talk of the entire weekend. All the buzz was about our team. What made it delicious was how the media argued about our selection - bold move or simply a folly?

I sat back and felt good about the pick. But why? Was it the buzz the pick generated? Was it how it surprised even me? Was it the player? Could it have been that this unknown coach knew something everyone else didn't see? Was the selection that brilliant?

Fast forward to today. I watch old FSU clips looking at our new guy. I am not disheartened but not overly impressed. However, he is glad to be here and he is ours. We want EJ to be a continuation of those super bowl teams - a time when our team mattered. When we had best in class players. I feel like I am waiting to go on vacation. It feels good waiting. My mind drifts...the eight hour car ride is no problem or the three hour wait in the airport. I want to milk this for all it's worth before I have to come back to work after my escape.

Gasp - What if it all goes wrong? The first few chapters in this book have been thrilling. My mind starts to wander...what if he busts? if that happens he will take down this coach with him...you mean we will have to bring in a new one again? Have mercy...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't the slightest bit surprised by the pick, nor am I an emotional mess as a result. Anyone who followed college football for the past couple years, and paid close attention to the offseason workouts, senior bowl, or the combine was not surprised by this pick. Despite what some jacka$$ "draft gurus" might have said in their rankings, it was clear to anyone with half a brain that Manuel was one of the top QB's in this draft. What made him the BEST QB prospect, IMO, were the attributes besides arm talent and athleticism. His mental make-up, his intelligence, his leadership ability, his ability to adapt to any offensive scheme that might be thrown his way. EJ Manuel, with the right coaching, could very well develop into a star in this league.

I'm hopeful and curious. But really, my feelings are kind of low in general. I'm not confident in this team, simply because we've been down for so long. On paper, this guy should be better than anyone since Flutie/Rob Johnson, if not Kelly, but I also felt optimistic, at a time, with Edwards, Losman and Fitzpatrick.

I'll just keep low expectations, and cross my fingers as hard as possible that we right the ship with this one. :)

I decided the have scrambled eggs for breakfast this past weekend. I broke the eggs into a bowl, careful not to get any shells in it. I then proceeded to whack those eggs. Before I knew it, I had tears streaming down my cheeks. Why, God, why?

I'm all verklempt.

So it's not just me / oh thank the saints.

Since the EJ pick .. even after trading down and filling some much needed needs , i am still having trouble sleeping maybe.

I tear up over GI joe you tube videos , plus it seems to be getting warmer lately. Hormones or the pick of Manuel. not sure.

probably ask my shrink next visit

go Bills

I decided the have scrambled eggs for breakfast this past weekend. I broke the eggs into a bowl, careful not to get any shells in it. I then proceeded to whack those eggs. Before I knew it, I had tears streaming down my cheeks. Why, God, why?

I feel your pain. Just like a lobster loooking at you with those beady black eyes before hes plunged head first into the boiling water

I skimmed the first post...it seemed normal. Then i saw everyone posting sarcastically and calling the OP crazy. Re-read the original post, and I don't know what to think.

Or wait do i?

C-MAN??????? OR SHOULD I SAY CRAYONZ YOU OLD RAT BASTARD

Lol...

If you are fortunate enough to be spared the experience when you are young, as you grow older you face more of life's tragedies.

You bury friends and family taken by accidents, cancer, and such. You learn to appreciate the simple diversion and camaraderie that sports and the occasional stiff drink can offer.

Being a Bills and Sabres fan for as long as I have been, and experiencing the crushing disappointments I have had following both I don't think I could dredge up that much emotion over the draft. After all the years and the many times I have stomped off vowing to end the relationship, both teams somehow manage to reel me back in no matter how many times I lie to myself and say that I just don't care any more. I guess hope does spring eternal. Maybe hope is just being really stubborn and staying the course even when life kicks you in the nads.

My advice, enjoy the ride. If the Bills draft makes you an emotional mess, then you are going to need to be seriously sedated to survive following this team.

Edited by ColdBlueNorth