Who would you place at all time best LB?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man that's a lot of guys plus there is a difference between inside and outside guys. That said I would go Lawrence Taylor outside, inside .... so many ... Tommy Nobis, Jack Lambert, Mike Singletary. I don't think Butkis would be great today because I don't think he has the range but he still was one of the all time bests.

Oh and Ray Lewis, what was I thinking ( thinking about Butkis made me think of older players)

Man that's a lot of guys plus there is a difference between inside and outside guys. That said I would go Lawrence Taylor outside, inside .... so many ... Tommy Nobis, Jack Lambert, Mike Singletary. I don't think Butkis would be great today because I don't think he has the range but he still was one of the all time bests.

Oh and Ray Lewis, what was I thinking ( thinking about Butkis made me think of older players)

Well I don't think the player's he went up against where hobbled, he still had to go side line to side line..Lambert and Singletary where hardly pass defenders either.

I know you're question was overall in the league, but if you asked who was the best Buffalo Bill LB, it's clear to me it was Spiderman (Daryl Talley). Not even close in my eyes. One ugly dude, but man he was in every play for all of those years, and seemed like he was niver hurt.

I know you're question was overall in the league, but if you asked who was the best Buffalo Bill LB, it's clear to me it was Spiderman (Daryl Talley). Not even close in my eyes. One ugly dude, but man he was in every play for all of those years, and seemed like he was niver hurt.

Yeah I loved Talley[ was he not the "we're going to the show! Or was that Smith?] But all time NFL? No.

I love Talley too, but he is a bit overrated by Bills fans because they loved his attitude. Cornelius Bennett was better than Talley. Takeo Spikes was better too. Bryce Paup had a great season.

I think it's between Bennett and Spikes.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Ray Lewis, no doubt in my mind.

No doubt in my mind either. I'm 38, so growing up, singletary and LT were the best in my childhood. One could make a case for either of them, but Lewis reigns supreme in my mind.

Been thinking about this and right now would go with Dick Butkus. Why? Watched some old games and it looked like the stretcher crew never got to sit down when he was in. All clean hits. At 6 3 245 I think he could play today. You're pick? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxR9qYSHt8U

The number of plays where he completely stood up/drove back a RB moving forward are pretty damn impressive. 6'3" 245 was huge for his day.

I think Butkus is great but in today's NFL I don't think he would be great. Good, but not great. I know the players in that video said he was amazingly fast but I just Didnt see it. He seemed slow at times to me there. I know it's a different world back then without all the roids but I don't think you can compare them.

Also, I think if Butkus played today, he would have been suspended in about 3 quarters and probably kicked out of the league the first game he got back. The LBs today have to play by different rules and that has an effect in how they play IMO. A guy like Suh (different position, I know) would have been one of the best ever had he played in those times.

With all that said, I'm going to go with LT, or Singletary, or Ray Lewis.

First off, there is no "all time best" at any position. Each player is limited and/or elevated by the players around him, the teams in his division, the coaching, the era in which he competed and so on. That said, there are a number of LBs who by any standard are in the pantheon. And what each and every one of them share is an ability to dominate and implant fear in opponents. They also share a love of, not just hitting hard, but of hitting hard enough to hurt. Not only do they take pleasure in the violence of the game, they revel in it. They border on the psychotic. And one of the problems with the Bills is that they haven't had any of those kinds of guys in a very long time. Which is why I am enthusiastic about Alonso and Williams.

boy...Butkus, LT and Ray Lewis...in a tier by themselves and you can make the case for any one of them.

Second tier...Huff, Nobis, Nitschke, Singletary....

Third tier...you might find Talley Paup and some bills in this rather large group IMHOP....by the way this group would be a list of really terrific linebackers as well.

I love Talley too, but he is a bit overrated by Bills fans because they loved his attitude. Cornelius Bennett was better than Talley. Takeo Spikes was better too. Bryce Paup had a great season.

I think it's between Bennett and Spikes.

I have to go old school on this one and go with Mike Stratton, form back in the 60's. He was a punisher (what older Bills fan doesn't remember the hit on Keith Lincoln in the championship game!