Analytics department yet to exist @ OBD...quote from Brandon.

Drewgetz

"When Russ Brandon was named Buffalo Bills president in January, he announced that the team would be implementing a "robust" analytics department to boost football operations. Four months later, Brandon acknowledged the program does not yet exist."

Linky

What do you think and do you care? I always liked the concept of moneyball in the NFL but feel it may just be a pipe dream and not really feasible. Perhaps Russ spoke too soon and is starting to think the same thing?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really about the analytics department that has yet ot be established, rather a quote from Brandon in the article:

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/34721/Buffalo-Bills--analytics-department-doesn-t-exist-yet/Default.aspx

Last line of the article, "...and ramping up for the last few days in free agency."

Some teams are "done," some still active, but at this point, are we dumpster diving? Anyone out there still worth kicking the tires on, besides Dansby?

I read someones post yesterday about remaining FA TE's, and I responded with a "no thanks" to any of the aging retreads with bum wheels. However, I found a couple of interesting younger guys out there, all of which are Chandler types in the weay of size and skill. A couple with injuries that cut there seasons short, but may catch on somewhere and make something of a career out of football still.

Check these guys out (links are from Wiki, which I found to be best with player history on virtual unknowns, sorry):

Zach Potter; 6'7" 270Lbs.

Jeron Mastrud; 6'6" 260Lbs.

Joey Haynos; 6'8" 270Lbs (oldest of the bunch, but had some promising stats before being derailed by a foot injury)

Ooooh, can I apply to be on the analytics team?! A couple of years ago, I built a database of every NFL play from 2000-2010 to help predict what teams would do in certain situations (ie: if it's 3rd and less than 3, on the road, in the snow, how often does a team run to the left vs run to the right?). Hire me! Hire me! :)

I care. Without analytics what you have is a bunch of old guys looking at paper and film and watching workouts deciding (guessing) what players will perform well in the NFL. How well has that been done for the Bills historically, and particularly in the last 15 years?

I care. Without analytics what you have is a bunch of old guys looking at paper and film and watching workouts deciding (guessing) what players will perform well in the NFL. How well has that been done for the Bills historically, and particularly in the last 15 years?

I agree completely every tool a staff can use to evaluate a player will help to choose the best players for your team.

I think once Nix retires the Bills move towards a younger front office they will establish an analytics dept. That being said they should move forward now in establishing an analytics dept now to demonstrate its effectiveness with the team now.

Edited by BRAWNDO

The linked article quoted Brandon as saying that analytics will apply mostly to "salary cap management."

To that subject the article states,

The San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks currently boast two of the NFL's strongest rosters. That's no coincidence. Those two bold, unconventional franchises realize that no player is more undervalued in today's NFL than a premium quarterback on a rookie contract.

The linked article quoted Brandon as saying that analytics will apply mostly to "salary cap management."

To that subject the article states,

The San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks currently boast two of the NFL's strongest rosters. That's no coincidence. Those two bold, unconventional franchises realize that no player is more undervalued in today's NFL than a premium quarterback on a rookie contract.

With the contracts we gave to Edwards and Losman, we've done very well with the rookie contract part, not so well on the premium quarterback part.

Ooooh, can I apply to be on the analytics team?! A couple of years ago, I built a database of every NFL play from 2000-2010 to help predict what teams would do in certain situations (ie: if it's 3rd and less than 3, on the road, in the snow, how often does a team run to the left vs run to the right?). Hire me! Hire me! :)

Did it work? Coaching changes aside?

well. let me see..Okay stop begging . you seem a good fit. Now if you could send me a definitive resume, some recommends , and of course all your masters degrees in the disciplines please. Just some minor details and we should be up and running in short order. Thanks for posting. One of my best resources in my decision making is TBD.

regards

Russ

They are probably developing some more modern day tools to better evaluate a lot of areas and then to execute. the key of course.

Since Mr Wilson has relinquished some these responsibilities and let a trusted member run the package that is the Bills. , we have all realized that Buffalo Bills are not what they were a year ago or 4 years ago. Lets hope this year is a building block , and a foundation that lasts more than 3 years.

As fans and gurus i suggest we hold off judgement for the whole season because it might well take that long to see the team clearly. staying as they were and truly sucking wind or will the trending be towards the positive? i dont know.

But what i feel so far is definite culture change a majority of the FO truly are going to work at this. Thats part A and the first step.

The more important part for all of us and them is , do they succeed?

I am going to root for them honestly. Even that little guy Brandon

Edited by 3rdand12

Seriously. If be curious to see that data

So, what exactly do you believe "analytics" to be? Do you think that it is something akin to "gee, players with fast 40 yd. dash times are good"?

I am confident that it is more about which positions are most important and which positions are worth paying very high salaries for. I think that they exercised "pre-analytics" logic when they determined that they could not justify paying Levitre (an OG) $8MM/yr. Yes, I do think that it might also include things like: QBs with hand size greater than X have a higher probability of success in the NFL, if they play in the Northeast....

None of this "analytics" is going to be hard and fast rules. It is based on tendencies, trends, rules of thumb.

Even with analytics, you still have humans evaluating humans with uneven experience levels. It will never be perfect.

actual photo of Fezmid

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://wicknews.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/b23b2d9e0348c7ea2b06212e37a65a8b.jpg&imgrefurl=http://wicknews.wordpress.com/2013/04/11/open-the-pod-bay-doors-hal/&h=768&w=1024&sz=31&tbnid=VxquoxAXc0ib5M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhal%2B2001%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=hal+2001&usg=__1zYtNG_50CJly_YqccwJPw5SRmc=&docid=hTF_c7A1dc8-uM&sa=X&ei=L6uBUYnhMMnxigK564HIBA&ved=0CFUQ9QEwBw&dur=274

I did the same thing. We should have cooperated and sold it to the Bills.

"I'm sorry, I can't let you do that Chan."