Jairus Byrd: Jason Peters Part II?

Dawgg

"transgressor"-- only in your warped world does a new thread constitute a transgression. I read what was out there and believe that a new thread is sufficiently justified.

Are you trying to reach the venerable status of "Moderator" like Simon? Best of luck in your quest.

And thanks for the feedback!

Agreed -- there's too much chastising on this board about multiple threads.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Byrd will NOT be starting week 1.

this is going to be a long drawn out process.

it's going to get ugly.

I say he reports around week 10 just in time to get credit for a vested year.

Oh yeah? Well I say he WILL be starting week 1. I also say you've been reading too many articles about Logan Mankins. :flirt:

7. Based upon the record of his agent's clients, Byrd will be out as a starter in 3 years. SAD...

What an incredibly stupid thing to say...

• Hines Ward (Super Bowl XL MVP and four-time Pro Bowler)
  • Steven Jackson (St. Louis Rams star running back)
  • Richard Seymour (4 time All Pro)
  • Walter Jones (5 time All Pro)
  • Larry Fitzgerald (All Pro)
  • Derrick Brooks (9 time All Pro)
  • Rod Woodson (11 time All Pro)
  • Michael Crabtree (San Francisco 49ers 2009 1st Round Draft Pick)
  • Devin Hester (All Pro)
  • Cedric Benson (Cincinnati Bengals star running back)
  • Laveranues Coles (All Pro receiver)
  • Jason Peters (All Pro left tackle)
  • Greg Jennings (Green Bay Packers, 2006 2nd Round Draft Pick)
  • Felix Jones (Cowboys 2008 1st Round Draft Pick]
  • Tashard Choice (Cowboys 2008 4th Round Draft Pick)
  • Tyson Jackson (Kansas City Chiefs 2009 1st Round Draft Pick)
  • Former
  • Emmitt Smith (NFL all time leading rusher)
  • Curtis Martin (5 time All Pro)
  • Aeneas Williams (8 time All Pro)

Kelly, you should know by now that facts have no business in a thread created specifically to rag on one particular player (and/or his agent). :)

Parker is easily one of the best agents in the business and there is a great reason great players flock to him, he's a great agent. He's also tough, and he's willing to take a very hard stand. That's why he is so good.

There is no real reason to think that Byrd will hold out, considering the kind of guy Byrd is, his family, the position he plays and the position he is in (just being franchised). What's easy to imagine is Parker being tough with the Bills and demanding that Byrd get a long term deal commensurate with his status as being one of the top safeties in the league, getting better, and entering the prime of his career.

Parker is easily one of the best agents in the business and there is a great reason great players flock to him, he's a great agent. He's also tough, and he's willing to take a very hard stand. That's why he is so good.

There is no real reason to think that Byrd will hold out, considering the kind of guy Byrd is, his family, the position he plays and the position he is in (just being franchised). What's easy to imagine is Parker being tough with the Bills and demanding that Byrd get a long term deal commensurate with his status as being one of the top safeties in the league, getting better, and entering the prime of his career.

Yeah having a top agent to go to bat for you is vital if you want to make top dollar for sure.

1. Peters was and is a ProBowl LT that the Bills ahve still not replaced

2. Yes Peters has already signed a deal but he was still grossly underpaid for a starting LT. The two guards were making more money than he was. He deserved a raise.

3. Byrd is not the best FS in the league nor was Flacco anywhere near the best QB. However Byrd has all the leverage and the team has the cap space to play him and more holes on the OL and LB to deal with.

Just make him the highest paid S in the league and in three months two or three other players will have higher contracts than him. There is pleny of money to be saved when Lindell and Brad Smith are cut.

Stop giving away good-great players.

2. Yes Peters has already signed a deal but he was still grossly underpaid for a starting LT. The two guards were making more money than he was. He deserved a raise.

3. Byrd is not the best FS in the league nor was Flacco anywhere near the best QB. However Byrd has all the leverage and the team has the cap space to play him and more holes on the OL and LB to deal with.

Just make him the highest paid S in the league and in three months two or three other players will have higher contracts than him. There is pleny of money to be saved when Lindell and Brad Smith are cut.

This is 100% spot on. Jason Peters was vastly underpaid and this boneheaded front office handed Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker mega-deals. It's hard to blame him when he has to play alongside inferior talents who are paid like they were stars.

Same with Byrd. He has watched the front office sign Kyle Williams and Chris Kelsay to 2 extensions. He has watched them hand McKelvin $5M a year when he has yet to prove that he is a starting caliber CB. He watched the Bills give $100M to Mario Williams whose effort was openly questioned by his teammates. The Bills put themselves in this position and in order to keep him, they need to pay up.

My hunch is that Byrd and his agent want a market value contract from another team. The Bills got the message and drafted accordingly.

Good points. I think we as fans don't keep always keep things in perspective. A player has only so many years he can and will play. He wants to maximize what he can make during those years. The team has to balance that players skill against their budget and other players demands. They will also consider how easy it is to replace a particular player. This is just a negotiation. Its not personal. That being said I would like to see Byrd and the Bills come to terms as soon as possible. It doesn't do anyone any good to draw things out. I think Buddy feels the same way...

+ 1

I like BYrd also, but does the 28th, 30th, 26th ranked D in the league really need the highest paid S in the league?

How many times in the past few years have people on this board explained how important safeties are to the game? I remember during the Whitner debate that people repeatedly echoed this sentiment. And while I realize Donte was a SS and Byrd a FS, the position is evolving. In the box types are giving way to more well-rounded guys who cover and play the run. Now I'm not about to compare Byrd with a Troy Polamalu as a run defender, but he's the best they've got and fits the latter description. I know Mike Pettine can use him and if the pass-rush is improved, he stands to collect some turnovers.

If the Bills can't sign Jairus Byrd long term this off-season, he's gone. The Bills haven't done a major in-season contract extension, save Fitz when they were pressured, in a long time.

That's impossible. He's not the problem child that Peters is, and his dad would never let him do it even if he was like that, which he is not.

Besides, Peters didn't sulk and report out of shape after he got paid the top dollar and going rate, it was only before.

Just the latest in a line of reasons to not work that hard. It started after the draft when he refused to go to rookie camp due to "still being in school". He has missed a lot of preparation but plays in games. That's why I call him

J

rus

Byrd will NOT be starting week 1.

this is going to be a long drawn out process.

it's going to get ugly.

I say he reports around week 10 just in time to get credit for a vested year.

and miss out on those nice, big weekly paychecks? Doubtful

And we are paying him his Franchise tag which is top 5 money for this year, and we are negotiating. But we can't spend stupid money on one player when Wood and Spiller are due soon. I'm all for paying the man as long as he's being reasonable about his value.

PTR

Am I the only one who thinks Wood doesn't deserve a huge 2nd contract given his injury history. Love the guy, and yes he's very good when healthy, but how the management handles his negotiations will be very interesting.

And as for Byrd, pay the man like a top-5 player at his position and the imaginary problem of Eugene Parker will magically disappear.