Draft Grades

Acantha

I find it amusing that Mel Kiper gave the Bills the worst grade and Todd McShay was spitting venom...nyah when EJ Manuel was drafted. The guys they were touting as late first rounders or early second rounders (Barkley and Nassib) went in the fourth. So either those 2 are correct and the rest of the NFL is wrong or they believed their own hype? if the Bills took Nassib at 8, would Kiper have given them a better grad? Would McShay been signing the praises of how Buffalo got a great value/QB at 8? Both come off as bitter little brats. I think the Bills had a very good draft. Here is my mature response to those 2...nyah!!!

Here is what I found so freaking ironic and hilarious and definitive proof why Kiper is a sham (as if anymore was even needed). Kiper expected and felt we should take Nassib at 8, or at the very least in 2nd. He had Nassib as a later first or early 2nd round grade and certainly thought we should have taken Nassib at 16 after the trade.

Now lets fast forward to day 2...Round 3 is closing in to being over and they keep showing Kipers "best available" and Nassib is the 10th best player on his board. Now fast forward to day 3 at the start of the 4th round after Barkley was taken, and Nassib is still like the 8th best player available.

So here we are in round 4, and this QB he felt we should have taken and was a mistake not to take isnt even close to the best player available still on his so called board...we are in the picks over a hundred now...yet he wants to grade us negatively for not taking him in the first. He can go F himself with his BS.

And, on day 1 when Raiders were first on the clock at pick 3 before the trade, he was mocking the Raiders draft history, and literally mentioned how bad the Raiders were for taking guys like Michael Huff and Robert Gallery. I MEAN WTF!!! Kiper was hyping Huff as the best SS prospect since Ronnie Lott literally saying he needs to go top 5 that year. He was saying Gallery was best tackle prospect in a decade and best player in the draft and should be taken #1 overall. Now, he sits back and talks about how bad the Raiders were at drafting because they drafted the same guys he promoted as some of the best in a decade.

How does he even have a job? He is wrong literally like 95% of the time, McSh*t too.

Edited by Alphadawg7

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what I found so freaking ironic and hilarious and definitive proof why Kiper is a sham (as if anymore was even needed). Kiper expected and felt we should take Nassib at 8, or at the very least in 2nd. He had Nassib as a later first or early 2nd round grade and certainly thought we should have taken Nassib at 16 after the trade.

Now lets fast forward to day 2...Round 3 is closing in to being over and they keep showing Kipers "best available" and Nassib is the 10th best player on his board. Now fast forward to day 3 at the start of the 4th round after Barkley was taken, and Nassib is still like the 8th best player available.

So here we are in round 4, and this QB he felt we should have taken and was a mistake not to take isnt even close to the best player available still on his so called board...we are in the picks over a hundred now...yet he wants to grade us negatively for not taking him in the first. He can go F himself with his BS.

And, on day 1 when Raiders were first on the clock at pick 3 before the trade, he was mocking the Raiders draft history, and literally mentioned how bad the Raiders were for taking guys like Michael Huff and Robert Gallery. I MEAN WTF!!! Kiper was hyping Huff as the best SS prospect since Ronnie Lott literally saying he needs to go top 5 that year. He was saying Gallery was best tackle prospect in a decade and best player in the draft and should be taken #1 overall. Now, he sits back and talks about how bad the Raiders were at drafting because they drafted the same guys he promoted as some of the best in a decade.

How does he even have a job? He is wrong literally like 95% of the time, McSh*t too.

You would think there was some accountability in the world of draftniks.

You would think but you'd be wrong.

They deal in revisionism.

You would hope there would be some honor in their world but how often do you hear Kiper or McShay admit their mistakes (of which there are no shortage)?

Kiper served a purpose years ago because there was no on be else like him and he was a good catalyst to get discussions started. Now there are a lot more informed sources and he's really an annoyance. His superficiality is closer to skip bay less than any kind of real player/position analysis.

who cares. draft grades are stupid and totally without a quantifiable basis. if i were the editor of a sports journalism organization, i would prohibit draft grades until at least one season is played.

I recall the bills receiving high draft grades in the past when the drafts (ultimately) turned out to be really bad; i think marv levy even got an A once...

but now that football is on a 365 24/7 news cycle, well, it makes asses out of all of us from time to time. anyone who assigns draft letter grades is an ASS, and any Editor that allows it is a bigger ASS, only looking for clicks...

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet

Wiper and McShyte have products where success requires a continuous belief that THEY hold the knowledge that YOU do not. Any time that (or their ego's) are threatened/challenged/undermined/proven dead wrong, will result in their having to make justifications.

What a perfect way to do that in retrospect: A grading system they control.

Bottom line is: The Bills didn't follow "the script" and turned the QB end of the draft (the most marketed aspect of the draft) on its ear. Time will tell...but I like it.

I bet if the Nix released his board the Bills would grade out the highest based on it. It's like a FF draft, after the draft every single owner thinks they had the best draft because they're basing it on their own board. Then reality sets in and I win the league - again.

The draft gurus--like Kiper--shouldn't be allowed to grade drafts.

You should call/write your congressman and demand that he proposes a law preventing draft gurus from grading drafts.

Edited by MDH

+1. They grade drafts on how self-validating they are.

If he's grading the same way he did in the past, his grades are based on how close teams are to picking his picks at or around the values he placed on them.

The draft gurus--like Kiper--shouldn't be allowed to grade drafts. Their grades are just going to be a reflection of their mocks.

New York Jets. A-. The motto of the Jets' draft was quality over quantity. Mark Sanchez's selection made this team's draft because he's a franchise-maker. New coach Rex Ryan likes his defense, so the organization felt it could focus on the offense in his first draft. The Jets picked up Iowa running back Shonn Greene, who will fit into the rotation with Leon Washington and Thomas Jones. Guard Matthew Slauson was an OK pick in the sixth round, but the key to this draft is up top with Greene and Sanchez.

Buffalo Bills B+. Aaron Maybin was the pass-rusher this team needed to anchor the defensive line.

Here is someone's breakdown of Mel's 2004 grades. http://bottom-of-the-barrel.blogspot.com/2011/05/grading-mel-kipers-2004-nfl-draft.html

sounds about right.

Naa, hitting 4 out of 5 targets they did better then a C-.

CBSSports.com gave them a B

Even if EJ doesn't start, (and 1st round QB's usually do start). I like the WR Robert Woods as an instant impact starter, and so is LBer Kiko Alonso if he can stay out of trouble.

Woods should help that offense right away with sure hands, good route runner and 4.36 speed.