Complete 180 in WR Talent

Agreed. GM grills potential coaches about scheme, philosophy etc... Picks his guy. Coach gets scouts and GM his priorities in evaluation. GM puts together a board based on priorities in the coaches schemes/style. From there I think you go by the board but coaches might tag a few guys as priority and the GM makes every effort to get that guy (EJ for example)

And, ironically, I just caught the tail-end of a show with Mariucci and Irvin focusing on "top prospect" WRs.....where Irvin teaches elements of the pro-game......anywho, what was interesting is the Bills are now in possession of 2 of the top 5(6?) WRs highlighted on the show and who were brought in to work with Mooch / Irvin.....Woods and Rodgers.....pretty interesting and informative piece, especially in light of this draft. Me thinks this could pan out quite well for the Bills in 2013 and beyond.

I guess if you want to hang your hat on who called the commish with the pick ("made the pick")--fine, it was Buddy. But because of the stark contrast of this draft from the others, I just can't believe that Marrone said anything like "I need a QB QB who can run the read-option and some speed receivers..can you go out and get me some?"--like he was sending him to Wegmans with a grocery list.

I'm inclined to believe it was collaborative, but that there wasn't a single instance where Marrone didn't first say "let's take ____" before each pick.

The point is that the consensus was driven by who Marrone wanted. Do you think there was a single pick where Buddy disagreed with what his HC wanted? Who in the room is going to disagree with what the newHC of a team in trouble wants? And why would anyone? I bet Buddy said this more than once: "hooo dawg, that sounds good to me!".

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess if you want to hang your hat on who called the commish with the pick ("made the pick")--fine, it was Buddy. But because of the stark contrast of this draft from the others, I just can't believe that Marrone said anything like "I need a QB QB who can run the read-option and some speed receivers..can you go out and get me some?"--like he was sending him to Wegmans with a grocery list.

I'm inclined to believe it was collaborative, but that there wasn't a single instance where Marrone didn't first say "let's take ____" before each pick.

The point is that the consensus was driven by who Marrone wanted. Do you think there was a single pick where Buddy disagreed with what his HC wanted? Who in the room is going to disagree with what the newHC of a team in trouble wants? And why would anyone? I bet Buddy said this more than once: "hooo dawg, that sounds good to me!".

Obviously it's collaborative but I don't think marrone evaluated 300+ guys and had a board either. They collaborated on weighted skillsets and positions, and our scouting staff created rankings. Marrone might've had pick between a handful of guys lined up by the scouting staff but generally our scouts and GM still have jobs for a reason. I don't think our process was somehow different than the wide majority of war rooms.

My guess, nix had final say still 100% but that they were obviously working towards a common goal

For example someone mentioned marrone giving nix his breakdown for the 90 man roster and nix was free to fill the spots to get to those desired counts. The GM is the boss but the two sides really work for each other when effectively functioning.

As I said before, I have no doubt that when making picks, Buddy took Gailey's input into account, like it appeared he took Marrone's. I can see Gailey having told Buddy "hey, don't take a QB high because dadgumit, Fitz is the real deal!" Or "stay away from those bad boys. They're harder to control than a greased pig!"

As I said before, I have no doubt that when making picks, Buddy took Gailey's input into account, like it appeared he took Marrone's. I can see Gailey having told Buddy "hey, don't take a QB high because dadgumit, Fitz is the real deal!" Or "stay away from those bad boys. They're harder to control than a greased pig!"

I think Marrone's going to be a very involved, hands-on HC (check out that picture of him playing center in the recent OTA--can't picture Chan or any Bills HC ever doing that!!). He probably will "see all and know all" about these rookies, rather than doing the delegation / guy-in-the-tower routine.

Hence, the addition of checkered past guys we haven't seen in quite a while around here. Maybe also why the league is gravitating toward college HCs more than the old school 'treat them like men' guys like Marv...

I think Marrone's going to be a very involved, hands-on HC (check out that picture of him playing center in the recent OTA--can't picture Chan or any Bills HC ever doing that!!). He probably will "see all and know all" about these rookies, rather than doing the delegation / guy-in-the-tower routine.

Hence, the addition of checkered past guys we haven't seen in quite a while around here. Maybe also why the league is gravitating toward college HCs more than the old school 'treat them like men' guys like Marv...

He was great on the post draft interview. He wants to get with the O linemen soon and start teaching them himself what he wants out of them like a position coach would. He has a confidence and arrogance about himself as a teacher that I kind of like. It doesn't come off as the Greggo style but we don't know yet. Greggo came in with a reputation for bluster and over-confidence. Marrone came in with everyone seeming to like him.

Influx of talent on the offensive side of the ball, yes, definitely. What really gets me excited is the new approach to the offense and adding players that can produce within the system. Marrone and Hackett want to bring speed and pace to the offense - so we go out and draft speed and pace guys. Everyone evaluating our draft class is eyeing Manuel. If he can come in, win the starting job and run the offense efficiently, the offense will put up points and silence the critics. I'd be fine sitting him for a year to learn like Kaepernick, but he was drafted in the 1st rd to be the franchise guy and should play.

These rooks will be a reflection of how good Hacketts system really will be.

Greggo came in with a reputation for bluster and over-confidence. Marrone came in with everyone seeming to like him.

Man Boobs never played the game, which gives Marrone a whole different level of 'buy in' from the kids and the millionaires...

Strangley I remember last year when people proclaimed we had the best young corner duo in the league with Aaron Williams and Stephen Gilmour. How'd that turn out?

I don't remember that to be the case.

I remember people here were very disappointed in Aaron Williams' play and were wondering if he was a draft mistake.

As long as Rogers can keep his act together here, we have some serious, serious talent at WR...Rogers is likely the most talented of them all...dude has a chance to basically be Terrell Owens in the NFL...

Within 3 years, the Bills will have the best WR corp in the NFL...bank on it.

Obviously it's collaborative but I don't think marrone evaluated 300+ guys and had a board either. They collaborated on weighted skillsets and positions, and our scouting staff created rankings. Marrone might've had pick between a handful of guys lined up by the scouting staff but generally our scouts and GM still have jobs for a reason. I don't think our process was somehow different than the wide majority of war rooms.

My guess, nix had final say still 100% but that they were obviously working towards a common goal

For example someone mentioned marrone giving nix his breakdown for the 90 man roster and nix was free to fill the spots to get to those desired counts. The GM is the boss but the two sides really work for each other when effectively functioning.

Maybe, but I can't imagine Buddy crossing Marrone on a single pick. It's inconceivable. I don't think Buddy, of all GMs this year, "was free to fill the spots". I'm betting Boss Russ made sure of this.

I don't remember that to be the case.

I remember people here were very disappointed in Aaron Williams' play and were wondering if he was a draft mistake.

I believe he meant prior to the season starting.

Bold... likely ludicrous. There's no clear-cut number one receiver on the roster.

Johnson is a number 1, Woods and Rogers both have the talent to be number 1s...that's why I said within 3 years, not as of today...

Edited by matter2003

Bold... likely ludicrous. There's no clear-cut number one receiver on the roster.

Bold, yes. I don't know about ludicrous though. Stevie and Woods alone make a pretty darn good receiving tandem on their own. Rodgers has the potential, if he keeps his head on straight, to be an ELITE WR...better than both Stevie and Woods. To say "best WR in 3 years" may be a pretty big leap of faith, but I honestly think the potential is there.

Maybe, but I can't imagine Buddy crossing Marrone on a single pick. It's inconceivable. I don't think Buddy, of all GMs this year, "was free to fill the spots". I'm betting Boss Russ made sure of this.

Maybe the proof in this is 2 Pac12 pics with one of them by some peoples evaluation being a character risk.

As long as Rogers can keep his act together here, we have some serious, serious talent at WR...Rogers is likely the most talented of them all...dude has a chance to basically be Terrell Owens in the NFL...

Within 3 years, the Bills will have the best WR corp in the NFL...bank on it.

Bolded, Italicized, and Underlined one hell of a big IF!!!!

I'm glad they took the chance on him - just as I am glad they took a chance on Manuel for his upside - but I'm definitely NOT going to BANK on it.

Edited by BobChalmers