Biggest Remaining Weakness (Post Draft)

Well, the team I'm looking at now is different than the one we saw at the end of last season. We completely changed out coaching staff, went from a 4-3 to a hybrid which appears to be based in the 3-4, gutted out WR corps, and let go of some popular veterans, cut Fitz because he wouldn't take a pay cut, and lost Levitre and Rinehart.

Alternately, we brought in Kevin Kolb as a veteran who fits the system but has run into injury problems and took a high risk, high reward pick with EJ Manuel. While we lost Nelson and Jones, we drafted Woods, Goodwin and took Rodgers. While we lost Barnett, we picked up Lawon, Dowtin and Alonso. We cut Wilson, but moved A Rodgers to SS and took two more safeties as well.

So far, I think we're a stronger team for it. We cut the players who were pretty dependable but had long reached their ceiling. I can think of 5 rookies who could all start together (Manuel, Woods, Alonso, Rodgers and Hopkins).

But in the end, you can't fix all of your problems in one draft. Where do we think the Bills are still weakest?

For me, it's at CB. The additional safeties will help, especially if Pettine is intend on using A Willams, and D Williams and nickel and dime guys, but they're really safeties. I see very little depth after Brooks, and Brooks and McKelvin at #2 and #3 doesn't sound all that promising.

After that...as much as I have to say it, it's at Guard. I absolutely, positively did NOT want Cooper or Warmack in the first round but I can't deny that while the Bills have depth, we have yet to see a stud starter, even if Nix and Marrone look satisfied.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After that...as much as I have to say it, it's at Guard. I absolutely, positively did NOT want Cooper or Warmack in the first round but I can't deny that while the Bills have depth, we have yet to see a stud starter, even if Nix and Marrone look satisfied.

Even that might be fixed with the signing of Chibane...

Nice summary. Guard is the position that really screms out to me first, then CB. We have a lot of guys in the secondary who will continue to get better, so I count guard as more pressing. I'm really high on Brooks and hopeful he comes on strong at CB this year.

Other than that, I'd say we're still too thin at TE. Let's say we want to run a couple two TE plays in the opener against the Patriots... I think lack of healthy talent is going to dictate what we run, which is the definition of a weakness.

if we have A Rodgers we better leave him at QB :P ...for once the WR core is not the weak link..it's been years since we could say that so thats kool...I'm liking the ppl we have for the front 7, although i might like another DE maybe...FB could be a need but not a dire one...I'd have to go with your outlook on CB and OG...OG being the more pressing one...I guess I'll just have to be patient and trust in Marrone's feeling on the depth we have now.

Edited by Tsaikotic

Yeah - I don't know anything about Chibane - but, its safe to say Marrone and Hackett do. They wouldn't of brought him in if they didn't think he could add something to their NFL offense. He was brought in before Moore was.

I'd say G, TE, and CB are the weakest places, until we see how our OLB'ers do this year. CB has guys like Rogers, Brooks, McKelvin - all who have flashed promise and talent. We'll see if in Pettine's defensive schemes they're good enough. TE is obviously the place lacking the most in playmaker ability. We have Chandler - himself virtually an unknown before he came to Buffalo - and a bunch of unknowns. If no one comes out of that group shining this year, I think its safe to say we'll invest in that spot more next year.

But, between those 3 places, lets not forget there will still be cuts, and there are still guys out there that could change the complexion of those spots by season's beginning.

Power running game is a concern. Gailey didn't like to use the fullback other than to block, but plenty of other teams use a fullback as a change of pace or short yardage option. Spiller can't carry the ball every time, and Fred is getting older and has had problems with nagging injuries and fumbles. Choice is nothing special, and they picked up Zach Brown, but I'm still not convinced they have the stable of backs that they need to get through the season. I know running backs are not usually drafted very high these days, and I hope they address this with free agency at some point.

Yeah - I don't know anything about Chibane - but, its safe to say Marrone and Hackett do. They wouldn't of brought him in if they didn't think he could add something to their NFL offense. He was brought in before Moore was.

I'd say G, TE, and CB are the weakest places, until we see how our OLB'ers do this year. CB has guys like Rogers, Brooks, McKelvin - all who have flashed promise and talent. We'll see if in Pettine's defensive schemes they're good enough. TE is obviously the place lacking the most in playmaker ability. We have Chandler - himself virtually an unknown before he came to Buffalo - and a bunch of unknowns. If no one comes out of that group shining this year, I think its safe to say we'll invest in that spot more next year.

But, between those 3 places, lets not forget there will still be cuts, and there are still guys out there that could change the complexion of those spots by season's beginning.

Agreed as others previously noted, G and CB, and you aptly added TE. That said, we're really nit-picking!!! Between the draft and UDFAs we've changed ... I think for the better. I'm pumped (I was last year too but I think the difference is that this time we are changing the culture of the team--that was the most important move we made!).

CB is a definite weakness, #3 and #4.

TE is a definite weakness.

OG is a clear question mark.

ILB is still a question mark since we're relying on a rookie mid 2nd rounder to not make it a ?

QB is still a huge question mark until someone plays well, considering it's Kolb and an unproven raw rookie.

Power running game is a concern. Gailey didn't like to use the fullback other than to block, but plenty of other teams use a fullback as a change of pace or short yardage option. Spiller can't carry the ball every time, and Fred is getting older and has had problems with nagging injuries and fumbles. Choice is nothing special, and they picked up Zach Brown, but I'm still not convinced they have the stable of backs that they need to get through the season. I know running backs are not usually drafted very high these days, and I hope they address this with free agency at some point.

I know I mentioned FB as well, but then I forgot about what i heard from the press conf.....Marrone mentioned that we shouldnt be surprised to see a Defensive player come in and play FB when they are in goal-line situations and such...I'm paraphrasing since I cant remember what he said exactly...I seem to recall K.Williams playing FB once or twice last season...I'd be ok with this if it frees up a spot for another player that they need more...as far as a lead blocker in the middle of the field type of FB...not sure what they plan there..

QB is THE question mark no matter who starts the season as #1.

O-line worries me, but, it's obvious that it doesn't worry the FO or coaching staff.

LB...can the Alonso contribute day 1? Will Bradham flourish in this defense?

CB...do we have enough there?

D-front 7...can they stop the run regardless of who lines up where?

QB is THE question mark no matter who starts the season as #1.

O-line worries me, but, it's obvious that it doesn't worry the FO or coaching staff.

LB...can the Alonso contribute day 1? Will Bradham flourish in this defense?

CB...do we have enough there?

D-front 7...can they stop the run regardless of who lines up where?

We've turned a lot of holes into a lot of question marks. We likely bat like .500 on those leaving us a variety of issues still but we made a lot of progress. Who succeeds and how fast is a question that just can't be answered today.

Isn't Brandon Moore still on the market?

I wonder now that the dust has settled and we didn't come away with a high-round interior linemen, we can address that position with the remaining free agents out there.

That would make sense, and I bet the market has closed for Moore as well, considering the massive run on O-line players that happened in the early rounds.

DE, DT, LBs CBs QB, OL, Coaching Staff, FO, Ownership

I agree for the most part...only you're wrong about the DE's, DT, LBs, QB, all but one spot on the O-line, the Coaching Staff, FO and Ownership. In short, GTFO.

CB is a definite weakness, #3 and #4.

TE is a definite weakness.

OG is a clear question mark.

ILB is still a question mark since we're relying on a rookie mid 2nd rounder to not make it a ?

QB is still a huge question mark until someone plays well, considering it's Kolb and an unproven raw rookie.

Good assessment...

After most drafts I feel that they are still so far underwater that it made little difference. But for the first time in a long time I think that they could be just one draft away from plugging all major holes. If the picks from this year pan out and we draft TE, OL, CB in some order next year, we could be sitting very pretty.