Rd 3, Pick #78: WR Marquise Goodwin - Texas

boyst

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After doing more investigation, I am warming up to the pick. Clearly, extremely fast. I now understand that he might have some more to learn/grow than most prospects since he missed most of Spring practices with Texas while running track.

At worst, he can get a few touches a game and be a very speedy decoy on lots of plays to open up the field. Just the threat of him running an end around with Spiller going the other way will have to worry defenses. It would be great if he can develop as a WR and be a good #3 option with great speed. Hopefully, he can help on kick returns, but his small size won't let him run through many tackles on returns.

i like this pick quite a bit actually. i've never seen him play but reading descriptions and analysis and watching highlights intrigues me quite a bit. i think that a creative coordinator could really take advantage of his strengths and a smart coordinater could probably work around any deficiencies. he could be deadly underneath, on gadget plays or screens. just don't lead him into traffic to be blown up by a guy with half a foot and 60 pounds on him.

Perhaps now that he can focus solely on football on a FT basis he can achieve his full potential. That said, why not Markus Wheaton (also fast and much more polished), Steadman Bailey, Quinton Patton or DaRick Rogers. All higher ranked. Know their games are different but going with surer picks seems smarter. This affirms Buddy f'ed up with Graham.

And we passed on Jordan Reed for him who was the last truly talented TE--a position of need with a value pick available.

The Rogers signing has made many people very happy around here, myself included.

Kid should have a lot of motivation.

I am starting to warm up to this pick. Found some more film.

Clip 1, found from a Denver Broncos fan site. Check out 3:37. Penalty in the NFL but DAMN! Hell of a lick for a track star.

Clip 2, found on a NE Pats* web site. 2011 highlights

Ciip 3, senior highlights

Clip 4, another highlight film (Vikings fan?)

Some comments, with the obvious caveat these are highlight clips, not coaches film:

1) his QB was not afraid to throw into traffic to him. Argues some confidence in his route running skills.

2) kid has some field sense and some moves - can spin, juke a bit, make guys miss, knows where the 1st down marker and the sideline are and gets it done.

3) willing to throw his body into it - (see 3:37 in 1st clip - Damn again)

4) I saw some catches where he knew he was gonna get slammed and dove or jumped for the catch anyway so there's that

5) physics says F = ma and he's got the "a" part down. Several places where he took the first tackler with him for severa; yards

6) they used him a lot out of the backfield - "end around" varient from shotgun, WR in motion, snap to the QB just before he got there, handoff. The teams they played had to have known that play was coming - it's on 2 years of film at least - HAD to have known - and they still couldn't stop it or its RBT variant. Kid squirted through holes like a grape seed. I know the NFL defenders are faster and stronger but damn he's fast in pads, and slipperier than you'd think.

Hard to tell from the highlight clips what his route-running skills are like or what his hands are, really, but I'm no longer as down on this pick as a "track star who wants to play football". He might just be a baller who happens to excel at track.

I don't recall seeing quite this much out of TJ Graham last year - his major highlight film skill seemed to be getting open by running faster than everyone else, which is not to be scorned, but does not make a complete player.

If nothing else, thie kid ought to push TJ Graham. Graham is no longer the only fast guy and maybe no longer the fastest guy on the team. They both better learn their routes and get them right and work the juggs machine for their hands or they'll be playing "left bench".

Edited by Hopeful

I saved the combine workouts on my DVR. There was one throw in particular where the QB is supposed to arc the ball up high and the receiver has to track it down. Goodwin's head was moving right to left like two times and didn't come down with the catch. The pass was on the money.

I posted 4 links to film clips I found surfing the net. He caught several deep balls, including a couple where he clearly had to slow down or go back for the ball. I'd give the benefit of the doubt to him on limited experience with different QB of different arm strength. Check out the other clips - his "meh-armed" QB was clearly not afraid to air it out there and trust Goodwin to wind up under it, or to throw to Goodwin in a tight window in traffic.

Looks like a football player to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkNSSV1NukM

From the perspective of the final view, it looked to me like he led with his shoulder, just got a little high and made helmet contact. Nothing a bit more refinement in technique couldn't fix and DAMN! that was nasty. Like I said, he got the "a" part in F= ma down pat. Where's jboyst? Tell us what you see in that.

What's more important than his technique is his willingness to mix-it-up, at his size. Speed/finesse guys usually try to avoid contact whenever possible.

Yep. I think I said it in another thread, but if you weren't told this guy was a track star and Olympian, there is no way you would come away from the tape on him and say he looks like a track star trying to play football. You would say he looks like a small football player with track star speed. He changes directions, he waits for blocks, he blocks himself, he looks for holes and changes direction on the fly, he does all of the football moves that a RB or a WR would do.

He may not be good, he may get killed, he may not get big production, but he looks like a football player. I wasn't all that thrilled at first but I'm liking this pick now, especially when looked at as a piece of a three man puzzle between the reliable, all around Woods, the blazing smurf Goodwin, and the big, physical Da'Rick.

From the perspective of the final view, it looked to me like he led with his shoulder, just got a little high and made helmet contact. Nothing a bit more refinement in technique couldn't fix and DAMN! that was nasty. Like I said, he got the "a" part in F= ma down pat. Where's jboyst? Tell us what you see in that.

That was a textbook block and a horrible call. He hit him right in the chest. Plus, it wasn't really blindside, he was blocking down on the guy. If the defender is so clueless as to run up field without looking around, it's his fault.

In any event, you're not going to see Tayvon Austin throwing blocks like that.

That was a textbook block and a horrible call. He hit him right in the chest. Plus, it wasn't really blindside, he was blocking down on the guy. If the defender is so clueless as to run up field without looking around, it's his fault.

In any event, you're not going to see Tayvon Austin throwing blocks like that.

Or Renaldo Nehemiah or Jeff Demps.

Yep. I think I said it in another thread, but if you weren't told this guy was a track star and Olympian, there is no way you would come away from the tape on him and say he looks like a track star trying to play football. You would say he looks like a small football player with track star speed. He changes directions, he waits for blocks, he blocks himself, he looks for holes and changes direction on the fly, he does all of the football moves that a RB or a WR would do.

He may not be good, he may get killed, he may not get big production, but he looks like a football player. I wasn't all that thrilled at first but I'm liking this pick now, especially when looked at as a piece of a three man puzzle between the reliable, all around Woods, the blazing smurf Goodwin, and the big, physical Da'Rick.

I said it before but after looking at his listed height and weight when he was picked and then seeing him on tape, I was surprised that he looked bigger that his listed size.

I said it before but after looking at his listed height and weight when he was picked and then seeing him on tape, I was surprised that he looked bigger that his listed size.

He's supper well proportioned. A lot more developed in the upper body than TJ Graham (who's lower-body centric, IMO).

Goodwin:

http://leftonbase.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Marquise-Goodwin-Associated-Press.jpg

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/04/12/40/1091623/4/628x471.jpg

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/14/37/45/3275088/3/628x471.jpg

Graham:

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/.a/6a00d83451b85a69e2017743daa9d6970d-320wi

http://www.alumniblog.ncsu.edu/blog/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/newfrontuniform.jpg

I'm rooting hard for the kid and think Hackett and Marrone will be a lot more creative than Chan would've been in using this kind of skill set...

Holy guacamole is he fast. Don't need a stopwatch to know he was burning up the track.

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=0iyAuxcjA8U

The 'simulcast' is really cool (looks like Goodwin won to me!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c96Oocok21s

Edited by Lurker

He's supper well proportioned. A lot more developed in the upper body than TJ Graham (who's lower-body centric, IMO).

I'm rooting hard for the kid and think Hackett and Marrone will be a lot more creative than Chan would've been in using this kind of skill set...

The 'simulcast' is really cool (looks like Goodwin won to me!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c96Oocok21s

That was pretty cool. Goodwin clearly won to me, and then they immediately showed Austin ahead of him (although they both posted 4.25) on the list.

His low time was 4.17 ;)

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=90106&draftyear=2013&genpos=WR