Rd 1, Pick #16: QB EJ Manuel - Florida St.

SDS

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manuel's 70% completion percentage while rolling out / on-the-run is very impressive. The past couple of years once you saw our QB rolling out to avoid pressure you just kind of knew the play was over before it even was. This will be a nice change.

Like many others, the Bills did not do what he thinks they should have (pick Geno Smith at 8 in this case) so he is having a hissy fit. Typical. Given all the debate and disagreement by fans on TSW leading up to the draft on pick a QB or not, which one to pick, etc, this is not surprising. Personally, I am much more comfortable leaving that decision to the people who get paid for it. They needed a QB, they extensively evaluated the options, and made the choice. It will be an interesting year at the very least, but I feel very good about the draft so far, especially Manuel.

:lol: 16-32 baby!

I like it. I'll be the drummer.

You're definitely the band manager.

I hope all these so-called experts at ESPN are wrong about this pick. Wouldn't be the first time.

I hope my initial reaction, that it was a reach, was wrong too. The Bills identified the guy they wanted, but still had the stones to trade down to add a good lb too. Just hope Kolb can give Manuel time to learn how to read and react to pro defenses.

I love the Manuel pick. I was on the Nassib bandwagon pre-draft, but after watching EJ's highlight film, and reading up on him, I feel like EJ has a higher ceiling and more potential than any of the qbs in the draft. He certainly has the most athletic ability. It will be nice to have a qb that can actually throw a 15 yard out. Not to mention the guy can flick the ball 50 yards down field with little effort and lots of accuracy.

We drafted alot of athletically gifted prospects. At this point, its up to the coaching. If Marrone was able to coach Syracuse to play to above and beyond their potential, Im really hoping he can do the same in Buffalo. We landed 3 or 4 guys who had combine best numbers, and the Darick Rogers was a complete steal. I couldnt be happier.

We finally have some nfl caliber players on our roster, lets hope our coaches can do their jobs. What a difference from the Levy/Jauron drafts with "character" guys.

I love the Manuel pick. I was on the Nassib bandwagon pre-draft, but after watching EJ's highlight film, and reading up on him, I feel like EJ has a higher ceiling and more potential than any of the qbs in the draft. He certainly has the most athletic ability. It will be nice to have a qb that can actually throw a 15 yard out. Not to mention the guy can flick the ball 50 yards down field with little effort and lots of accuracy.

We drafted alot of athletically gifted prospects. At this point, its up to the coaching. If Marrone was able to coach Syracuse to play to above and beyond their potential, Im really hoping he can do the same in Buffalo. We landed 3 or 4 guys who had combine best numbers, and the Darick Rogers was a complete steal. I couldnt be happier.

We finally have some nfl caliber players on our roster, lets hope our coaches can do their jobs. What a difference from the Levy/Jauron drafts with "character" guys.

x2.

This is the thing I am most pleased with about this draft. Glad we're finally drafting players with an edge to them instead of these nice guys.

I think we always had NFL Caliber players....however our coaching staff was from the JV league.

I hope all these so-called experts at ESPN are wrong about this pick. Wouldn't be the first time.

I hope my initial reaction, that it was a reach, was wrong too. The Bills identified the guy they wanted, but still had the stones to trade down to add a good lb too. Just hope Kolb can give Manuel time to learn how to read and react to pro defenses.

Well, 48 hours later and the dust has started to settle. The brats that got embarrassed about being wrong (McSay and Co.) have been fed and changed and are less cranky. As Im watching ESPN and NFLN this morning, while poking around on the web, it looks like the "experts" are starting to come around as they see what the Bills did as a whole.

David Shaw (HC Stanford) and Mayock both gave the Bills a ton of credit on their draft. Jaws was just on ESPN raving about Manuel and talking about how he is a Day 1 starter.

Pretty interesting - Gil Brandt was asked about the Manuel pick and said "I knew that was going to be the pick. In fact, I've known for about three months now that was going to be the pick."

I wonder if he an 'ol Buddy are 'ol buddies? Or if he just meant he always felt that EJ was the best fit / had the most upside so logically the Bills would take him (knowing we needed a QB)?

He didn't really offer any thoughts on EJ's potential, but interesting none the less...

Edited by Heitz

I think we always had NFL Caliber players....however our coaching staff was from the JV league.

We havent had an NFL caliber qb in 13 years, and the only NFL caliber receiver we have had since Eric Moulds is Stevie Johnson. It is all yet to be determined, but our wide receiving corps has been massively upgraded.

EJ gets his college #3: http://www.buffalobi...5b-f86cfd2a31fb

The best Buffalo Bills player to wear #3 was our kicker, Pete Gogolak, in the 1960's. Hopefully was can keep Manuel and not lose him to the Giants (an AFL joke, if anyone remembers the Gogolak story) :P

Edited by BmoreBills

There were those who yelled " if you like the guy take him at 8 "

They found THE guy and gained picks.

Then give him 2 WRs to throw to that were a need position. Oh and a linebacker who could replace Shepp and a need position.

DOOMED !?

or

Well played Mr. Nix.

i know it was 2 WRs when you posted this but man, DaRick Rogers added to that? Two 1st round talents at WR and the fastest guy in the draft. To team that with Stevie, Freddy, CJ, TJ? Wow.

You're definitely the band manager.

Hey man, all bull-stojan aside, wouldn't it be just a little bit better place around here if the blind optimists didn't try to "yay team" everyone to death and the negative nancies didn't always insist doom is imminent? There are lots of folks who can debate both sides of the coin without becoming overbearing. And believe it or not, it's actually possible to admit Nix has made some mistakes without throwing the baby out with the bath and labeling him a buffoon. Just sayin. I think we just saw how well Buddy and his staff can go out and execute a plan his coaches want to implement.

Secrecy helps Bills land E.J. Manuel, perhaps long-awaited return to postseason:

http://sports.yahoo....-125312562.html

Very upbeat article 26. thanks.

as far as the pundits coming around. dont care a whit. look at buddy and listen to Coach. These guys know they nailed it and continue with the post draft pickups. Marrone is dominant in the pressers and Nix is gloating. Rightly so i say

I have read every post here and am glad to see now we are settling down and can see all the picks and quick udfa pick ups after.

Could they have done better ? sure we can always have done better.

I think its safe to say , as a brother poster has already. It's gonna be interesting. Thats for sure.

Now where's Dansby ?

and i want to be in the Band too. i can play guitar or bass. i'm not good but i am scheme versatile and play all 3 downs

Edited by 3rdand12

:lol: 16-32 baby!

You may find it funny, but I do not think anyone with even a partial brain would prefer you were making decisions for the Bills. Given that your "expert analysis" thus far in this thread amounts amounts to "I know you are but what am I", I would be surprised if you are allowed out of the house without a helmet.

Hey man, all bull-stojan aside, wouldn't it be just a little bit better place around here if the blind optimists didn't try to "yay team" everyone to death and the negative nancies didn't always insist doom is imminent? There are lots of folks who can debate both sides of the coin without becoming overbearing. And believe it or not, it's actually possible to admit Nix has made some mistakes without throwing the baby out with the bath and labeling him a buffoon. Just sayin. I think we just saw how well Buddy and his staff can go out and execute a plan his coaches want to implement.

so what would you say has been the impetus to have done such a large turnaround in apparent competency ? (devils advocate )

Jim Miller talked a bit about Manuel on Sirius earlier - he felt EJ was by far the best QB and always felt EJ would be the first QB off the board. Said Manuel was head and shoulders above all of the other QBs at the Senior Bowl in terms of prep, poise, knowledge, ability to throw it, etc.

Can't wait to see how EJ develops!!