I worry we take a QB @ 8 just to placate fans

Exactly. If they take a qb at 8, its because they think he can be a franchise qb. If they dont take a qb at 8, its because they dont feel there is one. But Nix has already come out and said there are 2 or 3. So my guess is, the Bills will be taking a QB at 8. If they miss, so what? We've missed on a lot of players in the draft before. The one player you cant pick up in free agency is a franchise qb. You can address every other position in FA. Only place to get a franchise qb is through the draft. This is mind boggling to me that fans dont even want this team to attempt to get a QB that might work out to be a franchise qb.

I disagree. The idea is to get the best value at the pick. And if they see the QB they feel is the guy the pick him as close to his ranking as possible. Easier said than done.

Wasn't Kolb considered the Franchise guy even though he went in the second.

All that being said Bills4. i can accept they might have to grab at the guy as early as 8

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest fear is we pass on a franchise-caliber player at another position at 8 just to pick a QB so fans don't revolt. I don't think any QB this draft is going to be what we want in the long run, and we will still need another QB in 2 years.

Anyone feel the same way?

PTR

I most certainly feel this way... /crosses fingers

I disagree. The idea is to get the best value at the pick. And if they see the QB they feel is the guy the pick him as close to his ranking as possible. Easier said than done.

All that being said Bills4. i can accept they might have to grab at the guy as early as 8

No, no no.

When you have a franchise QB, you can afford to go for best "value." When you dont, you have to find one at all costs.

And what is "value" anyway? BPA? Value according to Kiper? Most likely to not be out of the league in 3.5 years?

Value is a player who can help your team. Value at #8 is an impact player. When you dont have a QB there is no higher value. Period.

Edited by maddenboy

My biggest fear is we pass on a franchise-caliber player at another position at 8 just to pick a QB so fans don't revolt. I don't think any QB this draft is going to be what we want in the long run, and we will still need another QB in 2 years.

PTR

So I have you on record as zero successful qbs in the draft?

Seriously, why would any reasonable person think this was true, if there was so much dissension amongst the fans as to who is the top QB available.

I have seen very, very few fans say "Just take a QB at 8, I don't care who it is."

I don't think there is one guy available that even 50% of the fans would be in favor of if they drafted him. So how would this possibly benefit the team by "placating the fans". Not a huge portion under any possible scenario would be placated.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Quarterback gurus, draftniks, etc. can drink all the koolaid they want. The odds of the Bills grabbing a starting QB with Nix at the wheel is not a bet I would make. His record is in stone and less than impressive as a GM. Buddy Nix, with his claim that 2 (or3)very good QB's will emerge doesn't hold much weight. The chances of him, identifying those 2 and drafting one of them is very shaky territory. Considering he's rebuilding again after 3 just years.

The Bills have a great chance at drafting a "franchise backup" this year in the second round. and shouldn't even be thinking QB at 8.

The fans and marketing guru Brandon with his inventory to sell, could very well sway that pick though.

No, he wasn't. He was drafted to be a back-up until McNabb was gone. He sat on the bench for three years.

I cheered when we cut Fitz. I have been adamant that you cannot win in this league if you do not have a good QB. If Marrone thinks his guy, whoever that may be, warrants a pick at 8, I'm good with that. If we wait until 41 and miss all the QB's or, heaven forbid, panic to make a Losman type move, I will be pissed.

Edited by Marauder24

Seriously, why would any reasonable person think this was true, if there was so much dissension amongst the fans as to who is the top QB available.

I have seen very, very few fans say "Just take a QB at 8, I don't care who it is."

I don't think there is one guy available that even 50% of the fans would be in favor of if they drafted him. So how would this possibly benefit the team by "placating the fans". Not a huge portion under any possible scenario would be placated.

Just take a QB at 8. I dont care who it is.

If you, the front office, think (not feel) that he is either a franchise guy, or might be a franchise guy, then take him.

If it doesnt work out, then Rinse, Repeat. Without a franchise guy you are nothing.

If you think you can get one at 41 you are stupid. If you think you can trade down and get one at 16 you are stupid. IDENTIFY exactly the guy you want. And get his ass. Dont gamble or try to be cute or try to be the smartest guy in the room. Just get him. At #8.

(right now, if a team had drafted Russell Wilson at 8, would we be calling them stupid? At the time, yes. But how about now?)

Edited by maddenboy

They did their due dilligence with every single QB prospect this year, so if they take one with the first round pick I can't say they didn't do their homework and drafted one just to placate fans.

Agreed. At the very least you have to say they put in the effort. Hopefully, it'll work out.

PTR

Me too.

PTR

It seems as though the Bills have a long history of making moves simply to placate fans.

disagree...take 2 qbs in teh draft and let them compete w/ Kolb...in 2 years 1 of those 3 will be the best qb we've had in a long time even if they aren't top 5 in the league....long term says take 2 qbs including 1 at 8...if you think we're assured a franchise player at another position at 8 you aren't watching the same draft I am

No, no no.

When you have a franchise QB, you can afford to go for best "value." When you dont, you have to find one at all costs.

And what is "value" anyway? BPA? Value according to Kiper? Most likely to not be out of the league in 3.5 years?

Value is a player who can help your team. Value at #8 is an impact player. When you dont have a QB there is no higher value. Period.

you might be a bad business man and taking a hefty risk on your investment. But i understand

No, he wasn't. He was drafted to be a back-up until McNabb was gone. He sat on the bench for three years.

I cheered when we cut Fitz. I have been adamant that you cannot win in this league if you do not have a good QB. If Marrone thinks his guy, whoever that may be, warrants a pick at 8, I'm good with that. If we wait until 41 and miss all the QB's or, heaven forbid, panic to make a Losman type move, I will be pissed.

Oh heck no we cant wait till 41 with three teams needing QB beginning the second round before us. as you know.

The trick this season is to manuever to get the QB otherwise if not sure just take him at 8 and get it over with. But it's bad value.

And i really thought Kolb was drafted to replace Mcnabb and become the franchise guy. My memory is not what it was i suppose

And i really thought Kolb was drafted to replace Mcnabb and become the franchise guy. My memory is not what it was i suppose

No QB is taken in the second round is "expected" to be the franchise guy. They are "hoped" to be the franchise guy. If they were really expected to be the franchise guy they would have been drafted in the first round. I'm not sure any QB taken after pick 15 or so is really "expected" to be a franchise guy. GMs are just taking an educated guess.

No QB is taken in the second round is "expected" to be the franchise guy. They are "hoped" to be the franchise guy. If they were really expected to be the franchise guy they would have been drafted in the first round. I'm not sure any QB taken after pick 15 or so is really "expected" to be a franchise guy. GMs are just taking an educated guess.

Depends on the draft

Depends on the draft

Well, if you want to count, like, the 1983 draft then perhaps. I think the Bills probably "expected" Kelly to be the franchise guy, but he was later in the draft because of worries about his shoulder. I doubt, but I don't know, that the Dolphins "expected" Marino to be. He had some serious question marks going into that draft.

You're probably right though. There may be 1-2 exceptions over the years.

Well, if you want to count, like, the 1983 draft then perhaps. I think the Bills probably "expected" Kelly to be the franchise guy, but he was later in the draft because of worries about his shoulder. I doubt, but I don't know, that the Dolphins "expected" Marino to be. He had some serious question marks going into that draft.

You're probably right though. There may be 1-2 exceptions over the years.

I would say more exceptions but I do generally agree w/ your statement...for the most part you go top 15...the position is that crucial and teams drafting there are that bad

I think it's entirely sensible to draft a qb first every year until you have a good one. For people who spend so much time on an nfl message board, it constantly amazes me how blind people are to the fact thatit is impossible to win in the nfl without a good qb.

Stop the madness.

I think it's entirely sensible to draft a qb first every year until you have a good one. For people who spend so much time on an nfl message board, it constantly amazes me how blind people are to the fact thatit is impossible to win in the nfl without a good qb.

Stop the madness.

I understand that. But that doesn't mean the team would consider or is considering taking one just to placate the fans. That is what I was referring to.