Buddy Nix and "two or three quarterbacks in this draft"

I noticed that Jon Gruden has declared Nassib the best QB in the draft. I haven't tracked Gruden's rankingss over the years so can make no comment. How about you guys?

FWIW I believe the two QBs who will be flops are Smith & Glennon; I'd avoid both like the plague, especially in the first two rounds. Of the remaining top guys, I think the Bills are looking at Nassib, Barkley, Manuel & Wilson. If they think the Kevin Kolb they signed is the guy so many really liked w/ the Igles, they may elect not to pick any of those QBs, instead waiting until the 3rd or 4th round where they will take one of those guys if available (highly unlikely) or a project QB such as Bray or Scott.

Edited by yungmack

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much how I feel... He is waaaay too transparent.

And the prebuttal to the anticipated "Well it could be a smokescreen", I simply don't buy it.

This much I agree with...Buddy has never been much of a smokescreen guy...If it's a need position, and he knows that you know it's a need position, he pretty much shoots from the hip...Look at how much he talked honestly about the CB's and OT's in last years Draft...That's just the way Buddy is...Take it or leave it I guess... B-)

I think you may parsing words a bit here. I think what Buddy was initially saying is that almost every year -- whether it be a "good" year for rookie QBs or a "bad" year -- there are going to be a couple of guys who become franchise players. I don't think he necessarily had two guys in mind at that time. The "2 or 3" comment he made yesterday was more or less a confirmation of his earlier comment -- with additional information about all of the top QBs in this year's draft. That is to say that at this point he and the scouts have narrowed their focus to the 2 (or 3) guys that he feels has the best chance to be one of those potential franchise QBs.

Regardless, it is fun to guess which QBs the team may have liked best going in -- and which one may have jumped out at them.

I think one of the guys they REALLY liked going in was Barkley. Nix likes guys with leadership and experience at the QB position. He also likes guys who are accurate and anticipate well. That is Barkley. I also think Marrone likes him. The question is whether or not he has the arm strength to stand up in Buffalo.

I agree that Nassib would have been the other choice. Here is one guy that seems to fit the offense they want to run, already KNOWS the offense, and a player about whom they already have a wealth of information. In fact, all of the other QB looks may have been a poorly veiled attempt to throw other teams off the scent -- or it could have been an effort to see if they could talk themselves out of drafting him.

Along those line, it could be that they have fallen in love with another QB's upside over the polish of Nassib and Barkley. Call it a hunch, but for some reason I really do not get the sense that the Bills are all that interested in Geno. (Marrone saw plenty of him up close up and could not have been impressed in those games against SU.) EJ is a possibility, as you suggest. Nix and company have shown a tendency to place a great deal of stock in the Senior Bowl -- and Manuel definitely looked the best there.

There are a few other guys with big upside that could be very intriguing. I thought it interesting that he chose to cite Kaep and Wilson as kids he wished he had not passed on -- rather than, say, Andy Dalton. Manuel could fit that mold. So might Mike Scott. There are also guys like Glennon, Landry Jones and Bray who have big arms and may be available in the 3rd or 4th round.

I think we can book it that the Bills will draft a QB at SOME point in this draft. Will it be at 8? Will they trade back or up into the end of the 1st round? Will they wait and see who is still on the board at 41? Or will that seriously draft BPA and draft their top rated QB in the middle rounds. Whatever thy decide to do, rest assured that they will insist that they got one of the "2 or 3" guys Nix mentioned. If they go that route, I will guess it is Glennon.

I think they had their eyes on Glennon ever since they drafted TJ Graham.

After hearing the way Nix/Whaley spoke about Barkley today. I am hard pressed to believe they would pass on Matt.

This much I agree with...Buddy has never been much of a smokescreen guy...If it's a need position, and he knows that you know it's a need position, he pretty much shoots from the hip...Look at how much he talked honestly about the CB's and OT's in last years Draft...That's just the way Buddy is...Take it or leave it I guess... B-)

Keep in mind that Nix also threw a lot of misdirection about Cordy Glenn last year during the process.

After hearing the way Nix/Whaley spoke about Barkley today. I am hard pressed to believe they would pass on Matt.

Keep in mind that Nix also threw a lot of misdirection about Cordy Glenn last year during the process.

In public, Nix repeatedly said they like Glenn a lot and think he is a LT not a guard. After the draft, he jokingly said behind the scenes they put out a lot of false information about him, but he may have been just messing with people. I think it's very likely that they did try to downplay some stuff to reporters. But in public, Nix was all over Glenn the entire time.

In public, Nix repeatedly said they like Glenn a lot and think he is a LT not a guard. After the draft, he jokingly said behind the scenes they put out a lot of false information about him, but he may have been just messing with people. I think it's very likely that they did try to downplay some stuff to reporters. But in public, Nix was all over Glenn the entire time.

I could be wrong but

"A few days before the draft, Buddy Nix came out in a press conference saying he didn’t believe that Cordy Glenn was a tackle in this league. Nobody knew that Nix was playing games with the rest of the NFL"

That was from nomorelinks... I can't post the link here for one reason or the other.

Ed Kilgore ‏@kedwinkilgore 45m

At #Bills draft preview. I think #Bills go qb @ 8/ Barkley if there. #Nix thinks top qb's this draft can be franchise guys. #wgrz

https://twitter.com/kedwinkilgore/st...47031721906176

I could be wrong but

"A few days before the draft, Buddy Nix came out in a press conference saying he didn’t believe that Cordy Glenn was a tackle in this league. Nobody knew that Nix was playing games with the rest of the NFL"

That was from nomorelinks... I can't post the link here for one reason or the other.

That sounds like some guy in a basement got it wrong. It came from some site as you said, this site doesnt allow links to for some reason.

With no link or quote to what he said. He repeatedly said he thinks Glenn is a tackle.

Here is a direct quote before the draft to WKBW...

We believe that you start a guy there and if he fails it’s easier to move him to right than right to left. With Glenn for us a guy of that size and that type of foot athlete you’d try him out at left tackle. He’s got a chance to play there and produce there at a high level.

http://www.wkbw.com/...-148008175.html

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I think it's just a general thought by Buddy here. Of course EVERYBODY is saying this is a weak QB class but let's be honest, it would be crazy to think that there won't be 1-3 guys that won't have a solid NFL career. I think Buddy is just agreeing with that, all while saying they need to think about which ones will be successful.

IMO it'll be:

Manuel

Nassib

Glennon

In that order.

Who I think Buddy would say:

Barkley

Smith

Manuel

Who I think Marrone would say:

Nassib

Smith

Manuel

I'm really hoping that this is a smokescreen for Nix. If he really believes there's "2-3 quarterbacks worthy of picking at the 8th spot", then they're picking quarterback with that first pick. Personally, I don't get it. They've obviously already signed Kolb to a deal that's laden with incentives, but a mere 2 year contract. Why wouldn't you let it ride with Kolb to see if he can get the job done before drafting a QB early, particularly when the class is somewhat weak after Geno Smith? Now there's a report surfacing that the Bills are "very high" on Tavon Martin. Some mocks have them picking him with the 8th pick. Although that kid has wheels, he's very much undersized at WR. While I've been more than happy with the last 3 years draft, I'm just hoping that this one isn't a major buzz kill. So far, that's what it appears to be shaping up to be.

Why do I get the feeling that we'll hear "Well, you know.... we wish we could pick three guys with every pick, but we just get one" when the team ends up not taking one of those 2-3 "big timers" due to it not being "time" according to their board and they end up missing out on all of them?

People act like the Bills can just trade down and get their guy, as if there aren't a handful of other teams who might want "their guy" as well. If becomes a bidding war, and you become beholden to whatever team has the pick you are trying to trade for so that you can get your QB.

If I'm someone like the Bengals, Broncos, Texans, Steelers, etc. maybe I take slightly less to let Arizona trade with me so they can take Barkley instead of taking a little more from Buffalo. Just an example, but nothing says a team has to agree to trade with you.

That's the risk. Just take the guy at #8 and be done with it.

That sounds like some guy in a basement got it wrong. It came from some site as you said, this site doesnt allow links to for some reason.

With no link or quote to what he said. He repeatedly said he thinks Glenn is a tackle.

Apparently Jerry Sullivan reported in regards to the Nix rumor... Regardless, I do admit Nix has been very straight forward.

I'm really hoping that this is a smokescreen for Nix. If he really believes there's "2-3 quarterbacks worthy of picking at the 8th spot", then they're picking quarterback with that first pick.

He didn't really say that. He said he thinks there are 2-3 guys who "could be long time starters in this league." Josh Freeman is a long time starter. Mark Sanchez. Carson Palmer. Matt Hasselback.

I read where he may have said this afternoon there was one guy worthy of #8 at the Bills draft luncheon.

Apparently Jerry Sullivan reported in regards to the Nix rumor... Regardless, I do admit Nix has been very straight forward.

When and where?

Edited by Kelly the Dog

He didn't really say that. He said he thinks there are 2-3 guys who "could be long time starters in this league." Josh Freeman is a long time starter. Mark Sanchez. Carson Palmer. Matt Hasselback.

I read where he may have said this afternoon there was one guy worthy of #8 at the Bills draft luncheon.

When and where?

Really? You are that guy... This is why I stick to the Bills Message board on their site..

GM Buddy Nix eventried to start a rumor that Glenn was a guard, not a tackle, according to Buffalo news columnist Jerry Sullivan.

Really? You are that guy... This is why I stick to the Bills Message board on their site..

GM Buddy Nix eventried to start a rumor that Glenn was a guard, not a tackle, according to Buffalo news columnist Jerry Sullivan.

What guy?

That link doesnt work, btw.

What you're talking about with Jerry Sullivan is what I referred to earlier that you ignored. AFTER the draft, Buddy joked about fooling people and sending signals out that he was a guard. Nix was talking about behind the scenes, which is what I said earlier in this thread. But in public, he always said Glenn was a LT and he repeatedly said it. Sully was referring to the after the draft press conference when Nix said he spread that rumor. But again, it was behind the scenes, which is not what we are talking about now.

And this same thing was debunked on your buffalobills.com

Edited by Kelly the Dog

really? You are that guy?... The guy with 6 posts calling out well respected posters for years.

;-)

Find me as "billsfan" over on boards.buffalobills.com then talk about reputation. I come here more often than not just for different insight. Seldom post here because I tend to stick to the message board on the Bills webpage.

Exactly...Buddy was asked multiple times about Glenn leading up to the Draft, as was Whaley, and they both said they felt Glenn was an NFL LT...At one time leading up to the Draft they even brought up the comparison to Marcus McNeill from what I remember... B-)

http://www.cbssports...eports/18866954

Hows that for a working link. Clearly states that Nix tried to put it out there that they thought he was a guard. ALmsot 100% CBS is not some guy in his basement.

Again, this is after the draft. Go back and try to find anything Nix said about him being a guard before the draft and you can't. What you can find is Nix saying he's a tackle.

Find me as "billsfan" over on boards.buffalobills.com then talk about reputation. I come here more often than not just for different insight. Seldom post here because I tend to stick to the message board on the Bills webpage.

Skooby??? Is that you? Does your neighbor drive a BMW?

I look at the last 3 years of drafts and have to think that Nix isn't the one I'm counting on to get the "franchise" QB issue resolved. If anyone, it should be Marrone / Hackett doing the evaluating of this years draft class of QB's.

Buddy Nix / Chan Gailey, and their first pick back in 2010 was all Gailey because Chan had coached against him in college, and knew how dynamic Spiller was before they drafted him. This years draft may hold the same type of vision for Marrone, although he isn't talking about his pseudo "water-bug" months before the draft like Gailey did.

Just food for thought: the orangemen played against both USC & WV last year. While they beat the Mountaineers in a bowl game 38-14, and Geno Smith played poorly. Syracuse lost big in week two to USC 42-29 Matt Barkley threw SIX TD's against Syracuse with a QB rating of 188.4.

Plus, Barkley was very well versed in a "pro style" offense while at USC, and he is probably more NFL ready then any other QB in this years draft. While not having prototypical NFL QB size and arm strength he has enough arm to make every throw if he is set properly. Smart QB and knows how to read a defense, set protections.

That said, the Bills signing Kolb tells me that a QB is no longer their main priority in this years draft. This whole thing might be a good old boy smoke screen to nab the guy they really want. Since they allowed OG Levitre to walk and haven't really replaced him, they cut two starting WR's and haven't replaced them either. I'm thinking WR or O line with this years first pick. Matt Barkley with the 2nd.

Edited by FeartheLosing

I think Manuel moved up but not that high. Pretty certain that Geno will be gone by #8. That leaves Nassib and Barkley. My theory is the Bills will take a QB with their first pick because it is the most important position on the team and because the pickings are so slim this year(It's also such a vital need on this team). They may trade down(kind of a gutsy move because I think they risk missing out on the QB they want). In any case, it's still QB with their first pick. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck........it's probably a duck.

Who will it be...........???? Just speculation, but can't imagine any other position doing more to help this team than QB... so Nassib or Barkley.

Regardless of how respected you say you are over there, you seem to be having a hard time differentiating between the idea of Nix saying things before the draft versus saying things after the draft.

For me it's:

1-2 Geno and Nassib.

3 Manuel.

And if there are now three guys instead of two, it increases the chances of not taking a QB at 8.

Kelly, out of curiosity, did you hear Nix's comments about Manuel's inconsistency? The general vibe from attendees at the luncheon is that they are not high on Manuel, what makes you think differently?

Kelly, out of curiosity, did you hear Nix's comments about Manuel's inconsistency? The general vibe from attendees at the luncheon is that they are not high on Manuel, what makes you think differently?

I wrote this before those quotes were said. I still have yet to see the direct quotes, so I'm not sure if my opinion will change or not. I don't think it's any surprise to anyone that Manuel was considered inconsistent, otherwise he would very likely be the consensus top choice.

That said, the Bills signing Kolb tells me that a QB is no longer their main priority in this years draft.

It's their #1 priority by far...And it should be...It's completely clear by the way they have handled the evaluation process on the top 8 (or so) QB's with laser focus...But that does not mean they'll use the #8 overall pick, or even a 1st Round pick on QB necessarily...That all depends on how they grade out the prospects...But I have absolutely no doubt that Kolb, or no Kolb, QB is the #1 priority this Draft...It's just that obvious IMHO... B-)

safest and surest picks in the draft:

#1- Luke Joeckel

#2- Chance Womack

#3- Eric Fisher

#4- Dee Milliner

#5- Jonathan Cooper

#6- Lane Johnson

dont like Joekel as a #1 Johnson and Fisher will be better IMO.

I noticed that Jon Gruden has declared Nassib the best QB in the draft. I haven't tracked Gruden's rankingss over the years so can make no comment. How about you guys?

FWIW I believe the two QBs who will be flops are Smith & Glennon; I'd avoid both like the plague, especially in the first two rounds. Of the remaining top guys, I think the Bills are looking at Nassib, Barkley, Manuel & Wilson. If they think the Kevin Kolb they signed is the guy so many really liked w/ the Igles, they may elect not to pick any of those QBs, instead waiting until the 3rd or 4th round where they will take one of those guys if available (highly unlikely) or a project QB such as Bray or Scott.

Only because Glennon can't run the read option. He said Nassib is the best in class because he can run any offense given to him. He also gushed about Glennon and how he will shred defenses in the NFL. Called him a classic drop back passer. He said Manuel scared him with his ball security and didnt like Wilson's footwork.

Edited by the skycap

It's their #1 priority by far...And it should be...It's completely clear by the way they have handled the evaluation process on the top 8 (or so) QB's with laser focus...But that does not mean they'll use the #8 overall pick, or even a 1st Round pick on QB necessarily...That all depends on how they grade out the prospects...But I have absolutely no doubt that Kolb, or no Kolb, QB is the #1 priority this Draft...It's just that obvious IMHO... B-)

You contradict yourself! QB is the #1 priority, and yet its OK to not take one at #8.... which is exactly what I said, O line or WR #1 and QB at #2.

If QB is their highest priority, then why wouldn't they make it a 100% certainty to grab the QB they want at #8?

Edited by FeartheLosing

As much as everybody says this is a bad year for QB's, Buffalo fans should be rejoicing that this year's class is as it is. We're the most QB hungry, depraved team in the NFL. I would go so far as to say we might have been in the running for a playoff spot last year had we had a better QB (I know, our defense was more of a problem, but you never know how the right QB could raise a team).

Anyway, I've been so frustrated with Buffalo for never losing enough games to get the guy they need to turn things around, and having to sit through 6-10 seasons - pointless! However, we Bills fans might finally have found our LUCKY year! First, we get the new coaching staff - I really like their potential.

As for the QB - in almost every draft before and again, the best QB's would be gone by pick 8. How many of us, this time last year, if we knew we'd be picking 8, would guess we'd be in line to have our choice of MAYBE every QB in the draft? And, if not every one - how many of us would have guessed we could be picking from Matt Barkley, Landry Jones, Tyler Wilson, or maybe Geno Smith? Barkley was being compared favorably to Luck. I, for one, don't think a bad year, behind a bad line, that included an injury to the throwing shoulder, would all of a sudden make Barkley - one of last year's favorites for this year's #1 overall pick - that much less of a prospect.

I don't think Buffalo could have scripted this scenario better for themselves. By December the nation very well might be saying how Buffalo came away with the steal of this year's draft!

You contradict yourself! QB is the #1 priority, and yet its OK to not take one at #8.... which is exactly what I said, O line or WR #1 and QB at #2.

If QB is their highest priority, then why wouldn't they make it a 100% certainty to grab the QB they want at #8?

QB is the #1 priority...Period...My comment was in direct response to your belief that QB is no longer the Bills top priority because they signed Kolb...And I disagree...The comment was about priority, not where we would Draft one because #1 priority or not you have a Draft board to follow...You can't just say...QB is the top priority so come hell or high water we're going to take a QB at #8, even if the top QB available at #8 is rated #38 on our board...So maybe they trade down a bit...Maybe they are forced to wait till the 2nd round...They're not going to reach too far based on their board just because it's by far the teams #1 need and largest priority...I'm sure there is a limit...And that's exactly why they signed Kolb...Insurance...

I'll rephrase my comment so as not to contradict myself...If the Bills feel a QB is worthy of the #8 pick they will take that QB because it is their greatest need...And they will make it their priority to get a QB they really like somewhere in the first two rounds...But things have to play out...And there are too many variables right now to say with certainty that a QB will be Drafted at #8...Regardless of priority... B-)

Where's Dion Jordan? B-)

probably 7th......nice player, but he comes with risk. he played DE in college but projects as an OLB in a 3-4 defense. most likely will start out as a pass rushing specialist and not an every down player in his first year. he has a bum shoulder and underwent surgery after the combine.

all those first 6 players I mentioned start from day 1 and play all downs.

Watched the luncheon. My takeaway: Nix actually wants to do it - he actually wants to trade down. Also, I think Barkley is who we're targeting. I know these are fairly obvious takeaways for those who have watched it, but hey, if I can't read Bills' news I'll write my own until draft day.

EDIT: Their praise of Barkley was designed to look like a smokescreen...when in fact they actually do like him. It's like a smokescreen within a smokescreen. Inception.

Edited by NickelCity