Eugene Cyril "Geno" Smith III - QB - West Virginia

Assuming our own FAs are signed, our top needs are:

1. QB

then far behind that...

2. LB

3. WR

then some more LBs, OLs, DBs, WRs for depth and grooming.

Nothing, NOTHING, is as important as our QB need. And no other position is as important in the modern league. We have a glaring hole at the most important position. The Redskins needed a lot more in their rebuild, and look what simply adding RG3 did for them.

Not saying Smith is RG3, but an upgrade at QB does wonders for a team and is really the only magic bullet out there.

Oakland's problems, needs, and failures have nothing to do with our needs.

Alfred Morris doesn't get enough credit for his part in the Skins' turnaround, but yeah, a great QB can cover a lot of deficiencies and elevate a team to contention. The problem is still whether or not we can find that kind of QB in this draft. The dropoff between a QB we take at #8 to a QB at #40 won't be huge, unless other teams reach for QBs early. If Geno falls to us, I'd consider taking him though.

Edited by Big C

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stats dont mean everything, but I ask everyone that hasnt seen them yet to take a good look at Smith's stats over the last 3 years of starting.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/488025/geno-smith

The Completion Percentage. The Yards per Attempt. The TD:INT ratio... The TD:INT ratio...

Then add in his arm and ability to make all the throws, with touch, or with heat, or deep. And he does it accurately.

Then add in his ability to learn a new offense in the middle of his college career, and his drive to excel in it.

Then add in his mobility and ability to burn you on the ground.

The only place I question him is in his heart or toughness. But I havent been in the huddle, or on the sideline, or in the locker room with him, so I dont know. I'll leave that to the professionals to figure out in the interviews.

But as it stands, Im willing to invest multiple picks in order to bring him to Buffalo.

All I want to add is that Geno is not a running QB. If you don't believe me you can look up his rushing stats over his WVU career.

Thank you, it seems people who don't watch much college football think this guy is a dual threat. He really is not much of a runner at all.

The way I see it, the Bills are almost GUARANTEED to be able to pick one of: Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, and Tyler Wilson. Add Matt Glennon, Ryan Nassib, or EJ Manuel, and the Bills are certain to be able to get a QB this year who has better skills than anyone we have. People are arguing that any of the above mentioned QB's could be good in the NFL. They're comparing Wilson to Jim Kelly. So, I'm not too worried whether the Bills will get a guy. I just hope they have accurate evaluations and are willing to GO GET the one they like the most.

Ask yourselfs this: Which is more valuable to a team, having - Dareus, Spiller, and Gilmore vs having Robert Griffin III? Sure, there is no QB comparable to Griffin, but the idea is, if you know you have a QB you can win with, is it worth trading some picks?

I'd feel fine with Buffalo going something other than QB with the 8th pick and THEN trading back up to get someone like Nassib, Glennon, Manuel, or with great luck Wilson.

Thank you, it seems people who don't watch much college football think this guy is a dual threat. He really is not much of a runner at all.

Yeah - that's been bugging me too - I hate to say this but are people assuming he's a running QB just because he's black?? He's a pocket QB guys.

So now we are hallucinating that Geno Smith is in even remotely the same class as RG3 much less Luck???

Luck, probably not. RG3, definitely same class. Not same exact level, but same group. And I say that because of the success of 2nd Tier guys like Kaepernick and Russel Wilson are having, not to mention 2nd/3rd tier guys like Cousins, Dalton, and Ponder.

Luck was a prototypical blue-chip top tier QB prospect. He was in a class of his own, but RG3 was a top tier guy too. Probably the lower end of that tier, but still top tier. Right where Geno Smith is as well.

Edited by DrDareustein

Luck, probably not. RG3, definitely same class. Not same exact level, but same group. And I say that because of the success guys like Kaepernick and Russel Wilson are having, not to mention 2nd/3rd tier guys like Cousins, Dalton, and Ponder.

Luck was a prototypical blue-chip top tier QB prospect. He was in a class of his own, but RG3 was a top tier guy too. Probably the lower end of that tier, but still top tier. Right where Geno Smith is as well.

while it may be semantics, RGIII's ceiling has always been higher (IMO) due to his pure athletic ability. He can throw a 50yd bomb right on the money and break a 50yd run in the same game. however, this is not to say that RGIII > Geno in 8yrs.

If all three were coming out in this draft class, i'm almost certain it would be 1. Luck; 2. RGIII; 3. Geno. But i hear what you're saying re: Geno

while it may be semantics, RGIII's ceiling has always been higher (IMO) due to his pure athletic ability. He can throw a 50yd bomb right on the money and break a 50yd run in the same game. however, this is not to say that RGIII > Geno in 8yrs.

If all three were coming out in this draft class, i'm almost certain it would be 1. Luck; 2. RGIII; 3. Geno. But i hear what you're saying re: Geno

I agree with your ranking of them.

Id also add that if they were all coming out at the same time, the prospects would be ranked 1. Geno Smith; 2. Colin Kaepernick; 3. Russel Wilson; 4. Kirk Cousins

And no telling where Barkley or Wilson (or even Manuel) would rank in there as well. My overall point is that it is possible for the Bills to find their QB of the future in this draft. They just have to pick the right one. And imo, that guy is Smith. :thumbsup:

Ok, Im done, I promise. This is the most crusading Ive ever done here. lol

**see RG3, Luck** QB is boss in the NFL. Time for us to catch up with the Joneses

rg3 and luck......yes they have been sucessful.....but where did mobility land rg3 this year? where do you think defenses are going to land these free running QB's in the NFL? Because mobile QB's are the hot thing right now......doesn't mean it will be that way in a few years. Or even next year. Defenses will figure out how to defend these types of QB's, and then it will be back to the drawing board and the new "it" thing. Kind of like the wildcat? I do agree we need a QB, but i do not agree that we need an RG3 or Luck.......what we need is the type of QB that will be the next "it" type.

Bobo, I love your 4 rd selection. Add Honey Badger and AJ Klein as the other two selections and we may be saying AFC East Champions.

Stats dont mean everything, but I ask everyone that hasnt seen them yet to take a good look at Smith's stats over the last 3 years of starting.

http://espn.go.com/c...8025/geno-smith

The Completion Percentage. The Yards per Attempt. The TD:INT ratio... The TD:INT ratio...

Then add in his arm and ability to make all the throws, with touch, or with heat, or deep. And he does it accurately.

Then add in his ability to learn a new offense in the middle of his college career, and his drive to excel in it.

Then add in his mobility and ability to burn you on the ground.

The only place I question him is in his heart or toughness. But I havent been in the huddle, or on the sideline, or in the locker room with him, so I dont know. I'll leave that to the professionals to figure out in the interviews.

But as it stands, Im willing to invest multiple picks in order to bring him to Buffalo.

THANK YOU.

Sounds pretty good.

Whatever it means, I agree.

I can get a hell of a good look at a T-Bone steak by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it.