Interesting Drafting Pattern

Going back to the days of Wade, with their first pick in the draft, the Bills have always drafted a player on the side of the ball for which the new coach had built his reputation.

1998. Wade Phillips, former defensive coordinator. The Bills drafted linebacker Sam Cowart. Now, this was actually a 2nd round pick, but the team had traded away their first rounder for (gulp!) Rob Johnson.

2001. Gregg Williams, former defensive coordinator. The Bills traded down a few spots in the first round and drafted CB Nate Clements.

2004. Mike Mularkey, former offensive coordinator. The Bills drafted WR Lee Evans and traded back into the 1st round again for QB J.P. Losman.

2006. Dick Jauron, former defensive coordinator. The Bills drafted DB Donte Whitner and traded back into the 1st round for DT John McCargo.

2010. Chan Gailey, former offensive coordinator. The Bills drafted RB C.J. Spiller.

Now, in 2013, and we have former offensive coordinator D. Marrone as our new head coach. If the pattern continues that would suggest QB, WR, OL, or TE. (I am leaving RB off, as I can't believe that even the Bills' font office would be foolish enough to go that route.) Possibly with a trade BACK into the 1st round to address two of these positions.

Hmmm.

It will be Tavon Austin or trade down.

There's absolutely no way the Bills take a 5'9" 170 lb player at #8 overall. Tavon may become a very good to great slot receiver in this league, but if the Bills don't draft Geno Smith, they would either draft Patterson over Austin or they would draft defense. Obviously that's my opinion, but I'd be truly shocked if they drafted Austin at #8.

I think the Bills are doing a very good job of mudding the water with misinformation.

There's absolutely no way the Bills take a 5'9" 170 lb player at #8 overall. Tavon may become a very good to great slot receiver in this league, but if the Bills don't draft Geno Smith, they would either draft Patterson over Austin or they would draft defense. Obviously that's my opinion, but I'd be truly shocked if they drafted Austin at #8.

I think the Bills are doing a very good job of mudding the water with misinformation.

Agreed on all counts.

I do think that is more of a coincidence than we realize. I think the Bills have their idea of best players and are hoping for one to fall to #8. Who those players are... your guess is as good as mine. I am personally hoping for a pass rusher to put opposite from Mario. This needs to be an attacking defense.

It will be Tavon Austin or trade down.

No thanks

CBF

Thank you. I'm not looking for another Roscoe Parrish. Even if he would be 100x better.

We need height for our WR's

CBF

Going back to the days of Wade, with their first pick in the draft, the Bills have always drafted a player on the side of the ball for which the new coach had built his reputation.

1998. Wade Phillips, former defensive coordinator. The Bills drafted linebacker Sam Cowart. Now, this was actually a 2nd round pick, but the team had traded away their first rounder for (gulp!) Rob Johnson.

2001. Gregg Williams, former defensive coordinator. The Bills traded down a few spots in the first round and drafted CB Nate Clements.

2004. Mike Mularkey, former offensive coordinator. The Bills drafted WR Lee Evans and traded back into the 1st round again for QB J.P. Losman.

2006. Dick Jauron, former defensive coordinator. The Bills drafted DB Donte Whitner and traded back into the 1st round for DT John McCargo.

2010. Chan Gailey, former offensive coordinator. The Bills drafted RB C.J. Spiller.

Now, in 2013, and we have former offensive coordinator D. Marrone as our new head coach. If the pattern continues that would suggest QB, WR, OL, or TE. (I am leaving RB off, as I can't believe that even the Bills' font office would be foolish enough to go that route.) Possibly with a trade BACK into the 1st round to address two of these positions.

Hmmm.

Cordarrelle Patterson

Thank you. I'm not looking for another Roscoe Parrish. Even if he would be 100x better.

We need height for our WR's

CBF

yes, we should avoid guys like desean jackson and focus on james hardy.

drafting based on one dimension and ignoring overall talent certainly seems like a sound philosophy. (again, not saying tavon is desean, or cordarelle is hardy, just frustrated by the waaaaaaaay oversimplified arguments when it comes to WR especially)

yes, we should avoid guys like desean jackson and focus on james hardy.

drafting based on one dimension and ignoring overall talent certainly seems like a sound philosophy. (again, not saying tavon is desean, or cordarelle is hardy, just frustrated by the waaaaaaaay oversimplified arguments when it comes to WR especially)

Agreed. Would it be nice to add a WR with height? Sure, but not at the expense of bypassing a better WR. I'd take Austin over Patterson every day of the week.