A Few Thoughts About The "Best Player Available".....

I am NOT an advocate of this type of draft philosophy. Some positions (obviously QB) mean much more than others.

If the Bills think that there is a qb in this draft who can develop into a top 10 qb, they should grab him at #8.. Kolb hopefully will provide a window of time to do this.

The above said, DJ Fluker, imho, will be the best RT since Erik Williams. Yes, I said this. I have never, ever seen a RT coming out of college who looks as good as this kid. People on Sirius say he can play LT but ino that would be dumb. The kid is a monster RT. I like Warmack a ton at guard, but Fluker is just an insane RT.

Btw, I think more of Pears than the average Bills Fan. He can play, and is especially good (when healthy) on running plays. I know that RT isn't a position of need on the Bills. I get it. But a draft in rounds 1 and 2 of Fluker/Bray would work for me.

AND, they could probably trade down and do this.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Best player available should always be balanced with positional importance, supply & demand and team needs.

Last year, most rankings had Matt Kalil, Trent Richardson and David DeCastro listed as the best overall players in the draft. But the Colts and Redskins would have been nuts to pass on Luck or RG3.

Fluker is interesting, but don't they already "have him" in Cordy Glenn? I could see Lane Johnson to play LT and move Glenn to RT - then I think they'd have both good run and pass blocking.

I am not a fan of Tyler Bray. He didn't light it up with two outstanding WRs in college. It is hard for me to project success for him in the NFL where he'll face better competition with likely less at WR than he had at Tennessee.

I am NOT an advocate of this type of draft philosophy. Some positions (obviously QB) mean much more than others.

If the Bills think that there is a qb in this draft who can develop into a top 10 qb, they should grab him at #8.. Kolb hopefully will provide a window of time to do this.

The above said, DJ Fluker, imho, will be the best RT since Erik Williams. Yes, I said this. I have never, ever seen a RT coming out of college who looks as good as this kid. People on Sirius say he can play LT but ino that would be dumb. The kid is a monster RT. I like Warmack a ton at guard, but Fluker is just an insane RT.

Btw, I think more of Pears than the average Bills Fan. He can play, and is especially good (when healthy) on running plays. I know that RT isn't a positio of need on the Bills. I get it. But a draft in rounds 1 and 2 of Fluker/Bray would work for me.

1) I agree with you on Pears.

2) Please have someone video you when the Bills are on the clock in the 1st Round and post it here. If they take a DB early, I want to see the carnage as your head explodes. That would be sooooooooooooooo cool! :death::w00t::nana::lol:

Edited by ExWNYer

Best player available should always be balanced with positional importance, supply & demand and team needs.

Last year, most rankings had Matt Kalil, Trent Richardson and David DeCastro listed as the best overall players in the draft. But the Colts and Redskins would have been nuts to pass on Luck or RG3.

Those rankings were wrong, then. In terms of their abilities at their respective positions and their overall impact on the game, RG3 and Luck were certainly better than Richardson and (injured for most of the season) Decastro.

That being said, I think it was the consensus last year that RG3 and Luck were truly special QB talents, unlike anyone coming out this year.

Btw, I think more of Pears than the average Bills Fan. He can play, and is especially good (when healthy) on running plays. I know that RT isn't a positio of need on the Bills. I get it. But a draft in rounds 1 and 2 of Fluker/Bray would work for me.

If there is a year to trade down and acquire more picks this is the year to do it. But is the staid GM going to act out of character and exercise some flexibility in this draft? His old school approach is sufficating this franchise.

How would you compare Fluker with Andre Smith, another very big Crimson Tide lineman?

With respect to the qb prospects in this draft I am baffled. There are so many conflicting reports that it is difficult to get a clear assessment on this qb class. If I had to venture a guess the Bills are going to draft a qb who is suited for the westcoast offense. It that is the case then that leans toward Barkley and Nassib being selected. Don't besurprised if Nix ends up with Tyler Wilson in the second round. Nix has a bias for the southern boys from the SEC. From what I have read Marrone favors Barkley.

1) I agree with you on Pears.

2) Please have someone video you when the Bills are on the clock in the 1st Round and post it here. If they take a DB early, I want to see the carnage as your head explodes. That would be sooooooooooooooo cool! :death::w00t::nana::lol:

My worst meltdown was the 2006 draft. Taking Whitner sent me over the edge.The A. Williams selection was the most angry I have been since then.

Now, I expect idiocy. Sad but true.

If there is a year to trade down and acquire more picks this is the year to do it. But is the staid GM going to act out of character and exercise some flexibility in this draft? His old school approach is sufficating this franchise.

How would you compare Fluker with Andre Smith, another very big Crimson Tide lineman?

Fluker is stronger, in better condition, and a MUCH harder worker. The kid can take over a game. Spiller, your favorite lol, would have literal truck sized holes on the right side. John, please watch tape if any exists and you tell me.

My worst meltdown was the 2006 draft. Taking Whitner sent me over the edge.The A. Williams selection was the most angry I have been since then.

Now, I expect idiocy. Sad but true.

Fluker is stronger, in better condition, and a MUCH harder worker. The kid can take over a game. Spiller, your favorite lol, would have literal truck sized holes on the right side. John, please watch tape if any exists and you tell me.

At a later time I will watch some tape of him. What I can say now is that last year's Alabama OL is the best college line I have ever seen. They were big, tough, mobile and were smart. When they played Notre Dame it was men against boys.

At a later time I will watch some tape of him. What I can say now is that last year's Alabama OL is the best college line I have ever seen. They were big, tough, mobile and were smart. When they played Notre Dame it was men against boys.

The heck with the ND game. Did you see 'Bama play against Georgia in the SEC title game? They made a better defense than ND look even sillier. 350 yards rushing? That's shades of Nebraska running over Cal-Poly Pamona back in the day. Seriously, that line could enter the NFL intact and hold their own, especially from G to G. Some of the best interior OL play I've seen in years.

GO BILLS!!!

Those rankings were wrong, then. In terms of their abilities at their respective positions and their overall impact on the game, RG3 and Luck were certainly better than Richardson and (injured for most of the season) Decastro.

That being said, I think it was the consensus last year that RG3 and Luck were truly special QB talents, unlike anyone coming out this year.

That's exactly my point. You can't compare the impact a QB has on the game to a guard.

If we draft a QB and hit a homerun, we are back in the playoffs. We draft Warmack and hit a homerun, our team is slightly better than last season with Levitre.

Btw, I think more of Pears than the average Bills Fan. He can play, and is especially good (when healthy) on running plays. I know that RT isn't a position of need on the Bills. I get it. But a draft in rounds 1 and 2 of Fluker/Bray would work for me.

When we drafted Spiller, he was BPA. Did we need him? On paper, no. Aren't you glad he's on the roster now?

That's exactly my point. You can't compare the impact a QB has on the game to a guard.

If we draft a QB and hit a homerun, we are back in the playoffs. We draft Warmack and hit a homerun, our team is slightly better than last season with Levitre.

Right. I'm also saying that even Warmack isn't necessarily a home-run; "safe" prospects are often busts, or don't become stars. Richardson had an average year last year, and RB is the most overrated position in the league (a first-round starting RB hasn't been to the Super Bowl in years).

When we drafted Spiller, he was BPA. Did we need him? On paper, no. Aren't you glad he's on the roster now?

A devil's advocate would ask you how many playoff wins Spiller has produced, and he/she might also wonder how many more years he will be productive. Will he be productive when the Bills are a playoff team? Will he still be on the roster?

The Bills drafting Spiller and switching to the 3/4 at the same time set the franchise back 5 years.

Do I love watching him run the ball? Absolutely I do, but it's about winning.

A devil's advocate would ask you how many playoff wins Spiller has produced, and he/she might also wonder how many more years he will be productive. Will he be productive when the Bills are a playoff team? Will he still be on the roster?

The Bills drafting Spiller and switching to the 3/4 at the same time set the franchise back 5 years.

In this QB drive league, I would say our situation at that position has had more to do with our January vacations. Spiller is a dynamic playmaker, and I for one am really, really glad he was on the roster when Fredex went down.

In this QB drive league, I would say our situation at that position has had more to do with our January vacations. Spiller is a dynamic playmaker, and I for one am really, really glad he was on the roster when Fredex went down.

True, I don't know if Lynch could have carried the load without him. (still in devil's advocate mode)

The heck with the ND game. Did you see 'Bama play against Georgia in the SEC title game? They made a better defense than ND look even sillier. 350 yards rushing? That's shades of Nebraska running over Cal-Poly Pamona back in the day. Seriously, that line could enter the NFL intact and hold their own, especially from G to G. Some of the best interior OL play I've seen in years.

GO BILLS!!!

Those were two heavy weight teams going at it. It was a game full of ferocious play. At the end of the game Georgia's qb, Aaron Murray, had the very good bama defense on the ropes. He was taking a beating yet was still getting the ball off and completing a lot of tough passes. It was a very classic and memorable game.

By the time we are competitive, Spiller will be asking to be paid like one of the top backs in the NFL.

Then after a year or two, he will be a 7-8 year vet and on the downside of his career.

On the flipside, if we had drafted Jimmy Clausen, the team might have been bad enough to be in the position for Luck or RG3 in 2012.

Just something to think about.

I am quite sure the Bills do not think that there is a qb in this draft who can develop into a top 10 qb, therefore they will not be drafting a QB at 8. Nor will anyone else in the top 10, IMHO.

If the Bills think that there is a qb in this draft who can develop into a top 10 qb, they should grab him at #8..

In my opinion, unless the Bills have a strong conviction about one of the QBs, they should not select one in the first three rounds. The early rounds should not be about thinking that a player could or might be able to do what you think he should do. It should be about being convinced that the player can do it. Are there any QBs in this class that give you that conviction?

As for Fluker; I like him in the 2nd. I'm always happy when capable linemen are selected. You cannot win without good linemen.

He is exciting to watch and a very good player, but not necessarily a great selection.

He has the potential to be great. If he had a line in front of him that could dominate other teams you would unlock his potential.

If you add a Kaepernick or Russell Wilson to the roster the tenor of any analysis of the Bills dramatically changes to the positive. The full court press that Nix is belatedly administering in his current qb search should have been the same priority right from the start when he took over the football operation.

You make a very astute observation. Selecting players for the 3-4 and then quickly changing the defense to a 4-3 is like runnig a race and then in the middle of the race you go back to the starting line while your competitors continue to move forward. What has crippled this organization for a very long time is the stunning incompetence of those people who are supposed to be in charge.

If you add a Kaepernick or Russell Wilson to the roster the tenor of any analysis of the Bills dramatically changes to the positive. The full court press that Nix is belatedly administering in his current qb search should have been the same priority right from the start when he took over the football operation.

You make a very astute observation. Selecting players for the 3-4 and then quickly changing the defense to a 4-3 is like runnig a race and then in the middle of the race you go back to the starting line while your competitors continue to move forward. What has crippled this organization for a very long time is the stunning incompetence of those people who are supposed to be in charge.

Not to mention them changing HC/Supporting Staff/Schemes ever 3-4 years over and over and over again. The front office (and the fans) have no stomach for losing. So the losing will continue until we have continuity.

I was watching ESPN when Kiper came on talking about the draft and assessing Flucker. He said that he was the best run blocking OT he has seen in the past 25 years. He felt that he was going to be taken in the middle of the first round.

With respect to Pears I don't understand your man crush on him. In my mind he is a pedestrian sluggish RT who is easily replaceable. I understand he has been plagued with injuries but I put him in the lackluster category of being serviceable.

I agree with you on Pears, Bill. Which is what makes picking an OT on par with picking another DB. Actually, we are currently waaay better off at OT than we are at CB.

I wouldnt mind going OL later in the draft (4th round or later) because I think we should always be looking to add talent in the trenches. But definitely not in the 1st.

With respect to the qb prospects in this draft I am baffled. There are so many conflicting reports that it is difficult to get a clear assessment on this qb class. If I had to venture a guess the Bills are going to draft a qb who is suited for the westcoast offense. It that is the case then that leans toward Barkley and Nassib being selected. Don't besurprised if Nix ends up with Tyler Wilson in the second round. Nix has a bias for the southern boys from the SEC. From what I have read Marrone favors Barkley.

linky?

Bill, I hate to admit it but John C is right about Pears. Look at the Bills depth chart, he isn't even a starter! I'm on the draft Lane Johnson bandwagon. He can play either side of the tackle positions, which would allow Hairston or Pears to move inside. Johnson, Joeckle, and Fisher are the only offensive linemen I'd consider at 8.

Edited by the skycap

True, I don't know if Lynch could have carried the load without him. (still in devil's advocate mode)

(playing devils advocate myself)...Come on, you know Lynch was one blunt away from a year long suspension. Maybe he would have stayed out of more trouble here but it was highly unlikely. They got what they could for him. And I liked Lynch but I understand why they did what they did.

(playing devils advocate myself)...Come on, you know Lynch was one blunt away from a year long suspension. Maybe he would have stayed out of more trouble here but it was highly unlikely. They got what they could for him. And I liked Lynch but I understand why they did what they did.

Yes and before that they were crying about trading McGahee.

Edited by the skycap

linky?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21977671/report-bills-scheduled-to-meet-with-matt-barkley

I have read many commentaries that Marrone is very familiar with Barkley because Syracuse played against USC and that he likes him. Joe Buscagllia of WGR who covers the Bills has stated on more than a few occasions that the Bills who will be running a westcoast offense like Barkley very much. The issue for them is where to take him in the draft.

I've heard of many silly draft ideas, but the o.p. is perhaps the worst. He wants to reach for a QB at # 8 when there is no QB worthy of that pick. Then he wants a RT or a guard - two of the absolute weakest positions of any draft. Bray is a 4th round prospect that everyone you read says negative things about. The RT idea at #8 is abjectly ridiculous. And Warmack is a nice player but the Bills need LINEBACKERS, WR, maybe a OLT.

Jarvis Jones or Eric Fisher. Get a stud not a RT. ROFL at the original post

I thought the Bills were gonna run a version of the no huddle(K-Gun)offense? I just don't see Barkley in the Bills plans for the simple fact that he can't drive the ball downfield and won't be able to utilize TJ Graham's speed with the deep passes. I know WGR calls Buscaglia their resident expert, but?

I've heard of many silly draft ideas, but the o.p. is perhaps the worst. He wants to reach for a QB at # 8 when there is no QB worthy of that pick. Then he wants a RT or a guard - two of the absolute weakest positions of any draft. Bray is a 4th round prospect that everyone you read says negative things about. The RT idea at #8 is abjectly ridiculous. And Warmack is a nice player but the Bills need LINEBACKERS, WR, maybe a OLT.

Jarvis Jones or Eric Fisher. Get a stud not a RT. ROFL at the original post

We're exchanging opinions here and to posture as if your opinion is clearly better than someone else's is a questionable approach.

For one thing the OP is one of the very good posters here. He's right much more than he's wrong.

For another thing, while I don't agree with a Fluker/Bray sequence to start the draft, many would say that your idea of Jarvis Jones at #8 is just as if not more ridiculous.

Just a few thoughts collected while reading your post…

http://www.cbssports...th-matt-barkley

I have read many commentaries that Marrone is very familiar with Barkley because Syracuse played against USC and that he likes him. Joe Buscagllia of WGR who covers the Bills has stated on more than a few occasions that the Bills who will be running a westcoast offense like Barkley very much. The issue for them is where to take him in the draft.

I thought the Bills were gonna run a version of the no huddle(K-Gun)offense? I just don't see Barkley in the Bills plans for the simple fact that he can't drive the ball downfield and won't be able to utilize TJ Graham's speed with the deep passes. I know WGR calls Buscaglia their resident expert, but?

As usual John backs up what he writes.

But skycap speaks to my confusion on this subject too.

I've heard that the Bills would run a West Coast variant, sometimes referred to as the "Gulf Coast Offense" as a homage to the system Sean Payton runs in New Orleans which Doug Marrone learned in his time there. However the Saints offense is much more vertical than a West Coast Offense typically is.

ALSO, there's been a lot of talk that the Bills will be running "The K-Gun" offense.

As with their defense, we really don't have much clue as to what the Bills will be running except for a few Kolb-related remarks about using a quick, rhythm system which sounds West Coastish.

The Bills are definitely playing things close to the vest.

The OC, Hackett, is going to run a west coast offense. Kolb certainly wasn't acquired because he has a big arm. He was signed because he is suited to the offense Hackett is going to run, i.e. west coast offense.

Joe B's primary job is to follow and report on the Bills. Regardless of whether you have a high or low regard for him because he covers the team he has some insights into what the Bills are doing and thinking.

We're exchanging opinions here and to posture as if your opinion is clearly better than someone else's is a questionable approach.

For one thing the OP is one of the very good posters here. He's right much more than he's wrong.

For another thing, while I don't agree with a Fluker/Bray sequence to start the draft, many would say that your idea of Jarvis Jones at #8 is just as if not more ridiculous.

Just a few thoughts collected while reading your post…

As usual John backs up what he writes.

But skycap speaks to my confusion on this subject too.

I've heard that the Bills would run a West Coast variant, sometimes referred to as the "Gulf Coast Offense" as a homage to the system Sean Payton runs in New Orleans which Doug Marrone learned in his time there. However the Saints offense is much more vertical than a West Coast Offense typically is.

ALSO, there's been a lot of talk that the Bills will be running "The K-Gun" offense.

As with their defense, we really don't have much clue as to what the Bills will be running except for a few Kolb-related remarks about using a quick, rhythm system which sounds West Coastish.

The Bills are definitely playing things close to the vest.

SJB, In some respect you have answered your own question regarding the offense that the Bills are going to run. The OC ran a west coast offense at Syracuse for Marrone. The signing of Kolb is a strong indication that the offense he is most suited for is a short and quick passing game. He doesn't have the arm for the long vertical passing game. In addition, Hackett the son learned from his father who not only was a proponent of that particular offense but he was one of the orginators of it. It shouldn't be a surprise that Nassib, a qb that many people think the Bills are interested in, is training with pop Hackett preparing for the draft.

Edited by JohnC