Bills sign UFA DT Alan Branch to 1 year deal

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he meant it more like he's versatile and wants to play. I doubt he knows who Aaron Williams even is.
I don't know man. Williams is considered to be the weakest link on the defense. I don't think it is random that he decided to pick out that spot. On one hand he may be trying to be a leader and light a fire under Williams, but laughing about it is not the sign of a leader. It sounds more like he was mocking him. Edited by 4merper4mer

i thought you experts knew everything. nine pages and still nobody has a clue for the rationale of a one year deal. of course neither do i so im right there with you, and for that im ashamed

six year vet, last two seasons started 31 of 32 games on a good defense. didnt play much at all his first four seasons - did i hear he had motivation problems or something? that would explain the sparse play but youd think 31 starts in two seasons since meant that he had corrected that problem

youd think his play the last two seasons would be rewarded by the hawks so why does it seem the bills got him too easy? still seems like something big is missing from the equation.

If this is such a great signing, why didn't at least one poster on TBD advocate for Branch to be brought in and looked at? You would have thought at least 1 person on here, given no a priori knowledge of the Bills plans, would have thought this may be a good guy to target.

i thought you experts knew everything. nine pages and still nobody has a clue for the rationale of a one year deal. of course neither do i so im right there with you, and for that im ashamed

six year vet, last two seasons started 31 of 32 games on a good defense. didnt play much at all his first four seasons - did i hear he had motivation problems or something? that would explain the sparse play but youd think 31 starts in two seasons since meant that he had corrected that problem

youd think his play the last two seasons would be rewarded by the hawks so why does it seem the bills got him too easy? still seems like something big is missing from the equation.

In case you missed it, generally speaking this has been a bad year for FA's. Quality players are signing for low contracts, primarily because of two reasons.

1) Salary Cap didn't expand this year. So when you have a cap that doesn't expand, and existing salaries rising, you have less available money for new players.

2) Contracts for Franchise QB's have spiked this year. Many teams that are expecting to re sign their QB's understand that in order to retain their services that they have to set aside anywhere from 15-20% of their entire cap for their Franchise QB.

So you have a lot of one year performance contracts. Basically what it says is that they believe in themselves, so rather than sign a multi year contract at below their perceived value, they'd rather roll the dice a little, sign a one year deal and hope that next year's FA market will reward them more so than this year.

Edited by Magox

thats reasonable but that makes free agency in even worse shape than i thought. looks like a player that finally put it together and was a solid starter for two seasons. id think that still had value enough to push at least multiple season deals but i guess maybe not. that would put this in worst ever free agency territory imo

This signing is a short term NEED for Pettine to get up and running. The ability to play multiple gap and fill the 3-4 nose tackle position. He even mentioned that his job would be to push the runner outside and the other guys make the tackles. I think thats his real job here. as a rotational guy and then hoping he can penetrate in a two gap as aplus. Now if Troup shows up at camp without issue we will have great depth on the line.

Its alot of money though for one year.

I dont that kinda money is easy pickin's from the hawks. But i bet it was their budget before it is something nefarious : }

rationale of a one year deal

Edited by 3rdand12

If this is such a great signing, why didn't at least one poster on TBD advocate for Branch to be brought in and looked at? You would have thought at least 1 person on here, given no a priori knowledge of the Bills plans, would have thought this may be a good guy to target.

This is sarcasm...right? Please for the future of the human race, tell me this is sarcasm...

I don't know man. Williams is considered to be the weakest link on the defense. I don't think it is random that he decided to pick out that spot. On one hand he may be trying to be a leader and light a fire under Williams, but laughing about it is not the sign of a leader. It sounds more like he was mocking him.

Is Williams officially a safety yet? Or is he still in name, a corner?

This is sarcasm...right? Please for the future of the human race, tell me this is sarcasm...

Why would you think this is sarcasm? I happen to believe that TBD, as a collective mind, has a very deep fund of football knowledge. When FA starts, there are usually over 10 new posts per day with people tooting their horn about a player that's available. This is not like the draft where there are hundreds of players to pick from, this is FA. In FA, there are usually less than 100 players anyone would give a damn about, but not one single poster here singled him out, even as a distant possibility. I just don't get it.

I think we've managed to stabilize the universe.

/air raid sirens wind down/

Maybe he takes on 2 players and allows other to make tackles? It's not always about stats.

Don't get too high concept now.

Whoah! Whoah!

Settle down

Lets not get carried away.

Too late. I think we lost Peteski.

If you watch the video he also says he is willing to play safety. I know Aaron Williams sucks but should the new guy really be taking pot shots like that at a brand new teammate? He even chuckles as he says it. I know he is a big guy but I am guessing Williams takes a run at him in the locker room or at practice.

LOL

Why would you think this is sarcasm? I happen to believe that TBD, as a collective mind, has a very deep fund of football knowledge. When FA starts, there are usually over 10 new posts per day with people tooting their horn about a player that's available. This is not like the draft where there are hundreds of players to pick from, this is FA. In FA, there are usually less than 100 players anyone would give a damn about, but not one single poster here singled him out, even as a distant possibility. I just don't get it.

Did we see any threads about de/dt generally? They were essentially forgotten by the board outside a few devito references.

And there are far more than 100 free agents worth mention.

thats reasonable but that makes free agency in even worse shape than i thought. looks like a player that finally put it together and was a solid starter for two seasons. id think that still had value enough to push at least multiple season deals but i guess maybe not. that would put this in worst ever free agency territory imo

It's possibly as simple as him wanting to pad his résumé a little and hit free agency fast while still young