Fred Davis FA TE has dinner with Bills brass

Scott_36

Just wondering how this clown should be treated here if he signs. Apparently high character is no longer a Bills FO buzzword if that happens. The new Bills! Analytics!

His rap sheet appears to dwarf Lynch's. And way more interesting. You know how Lynch was run out of town, because he's one strike away from a long suspension, etc. Now, Should we forgive and forget with Davis? How long would the honeymoon last? Or will he get the Lynch treatment from the start?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Keim@john_keim 10m

Also, an NFL source says TE Fred Davis will not visit the New York Jets on Friday. Down to Buffalo and the #Redskins

John Keim@john_keim 5m

Feeling from person I spoke with is that Bills offer a little better, but not substantially so over the #Redskins.

John Keim@john_keim 4m

The other feeling by this person was that Davis would return to the redskins. But obviously until he signs u never know

Edited by BRAWNDO

John Keim@john_keim5m

The other feeling by this person was that Davis would return to the redskins. But obviously until he signs u never know

Scott Jackson@JacksonSports11m

@john_keim today in Buffalo he was asked about Jets said planned on visiting wonder if they canceled on him?

John Keim@john_keim11m

@JacksonSports yes

[/left]

You may want to check your numbers one more time on that.

Davis averages 2.5 rec/game, 31.8 yds/game, .19 td/game

Chandler averages 2.48 rec/game, 29.3 yds/game, .36 td/game

Taking the last two seasons.....the only 2 seasons where both players were the designated starter for their team....

Davis averages 4.37 rec/game, 59 yds/game, .16 td/game

Chandler averages 2.79 rec/game, 33.1 yds/game, .41 td/game

The major issues that I can see based upon the stats is that Davis only played 19 of 32 while Chandler played 29......and Chandler caught a much higher rate of TDs. In terms of catches and yards, Davis lead in those areas by a wide margin.

The Bills need so much, and have some money, there is no reason not to outbid the strapped Skins on this one. Davis will likely go for the Bills if the offer is slightly more than slightly better, IMO. They need him more than the Redskins do. The Skins are also going hard after Winfield right now. Just up the offer and I think he is ours.

A little more news from the Washington Examiner reporter who seems to be on top of this...

Davis had visited with Buffalo on Thursday. The NFL source said Buffalo could be offering a two-year deal, but their package is less than $1 million more than Washington’s one-year offer.

What it doesn't say is if the "less than one million" is per year for the Bills offer, or over both years (meaning, just $500,000) more for each of two years. If the Bills are offering a million more for this year, like, say, four mil instead of three mil, I think it's a pretty easy choice for him and he would take the Bills offer. This is a tough choice for him. He would probably put up better numbers in Buffalo, even with much crappier quarterbacking.

How the hell could the Bills, who have one of the better cap situations in the league, be outbid by the Redskins, who have a disastrous cap situation? Not that I think Davis is anything above marginal, plus he's seemingly a congenital law offender to boot. But still.

How the hell could the Bills, who have one of the better cap situations in the league, be outbid by the Redskins, who have a disastrous cap situation? Not that I think Davis is anything above marginal, plus he's seemingly a congenital law offender to boot. But still.

The Skins offer, in all likelihood, is very low, and they are unlikely to raise it since they are wining and dining Winfield tonight and don't even have money enough to sign him. If the Bills lose Davis it will be because they just didn't offer him enough money, and it wouldn't be a lot. I think he signs with the Bills tomorrow. He probably was hoping the Skins would up the ante at the last minute but they don't appear to be doing it. When Davis spoke about the Skins today, as well as in that radio interview, he sounded like he wanted to be back there but he didn't like their offer. It's one year, and less than the Bills. We need to do this, even if it is a risk.

He also cancelled his flight to NY, so he could very well be in Buffalo overnight and meet with the Bills again tomorrow. It's just conjecture but it would be a wise move for him to do that if he wanted the Bills or the Skins to raise their offer.

I'll be the first to say what everybody knows: Davis is just screaming about Shanahan in this quote.

Agreed. RG III just made remarks yesterday which most people are reading as a criticism of Shanny. Old Rat Face is a good coach but not too many people seem to actually like him.

I would say the answer is salary cap discipline. I get the sense more than ever before that the Bills are really sharpening their pencils and appraising players and sticking to those appraisals.

BTW, I think Davis' decision will ultimately be made by guaranteed money.

Taking the last two seasons.....the only 2 seasons where both players were the designated starter for their team....

Davis averages 4.37 rec/game, 59 yds/game, .16 td/game

Chandler averages 2.79 rec/game, 33.1 yds/game, .41 td/game

The major issues that I can see based upon the stats is that Davis only played 19 of 32 while Chandler played 29......and Chandler caught a much higher rate of TDs. In terms of catches and yards, Davis lead in those areas by a wide margin.

You make a good point with using the last two years of numbers identifying a more fair comparison for Davis. Yes Davis leads by a wide margin in catches/yds but the TD's is wide enough to argue he's the more effective TE. I'm just pointing out that Chandler has played admirably better than most Bills fans give him credit for.

You make a good point with using the last two years of numbers identifying a more fair comparison for Davis. Yes Davis leads by a wide margin in catches/yds but the TD's is wide enough to argue he's the more effective TE. I'm just pointing out that Chandler has played admirably better than most Bills fans give him credit for.

I agree. Plus Chandler has had Fitz throwing him the ball. I don't know how anyone can claim to be able to evaluate the receivers when the QB is so bad. WOuld Davis have fared any better if he played for the Bills? I doubt it.

I agree. Plus Chandler has had Fitz throwing him the ball. I don't know how anyone can claim to be able to evaluate the receivers when the QB is so bad. WOuld Davis have fared any better if he played for the Bills? I doubt it.

Fitz isn't that good but come on....

Also, I'm not sure you can argue grossman or beck were probowlers

Scott Chandler has been the best down field receiver the Bills have had the last two sesons. Although not fast, he gets into his route early and plays the ball well when above his head. Even when covered, Fitz liked throwing it to him especially if the defender was in chase mode with their back to the ball.

Not surprised. What an odd offseason. A period of total inactivity, followed by flying out the entire top contingent to wine and dine a guy with a severed Achilles and a long rap sheet, just so they can lowball him and watch him go elsewhere. This is shaping up to be another fine season.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

If this isn't a red flag player/person then no one is. He is not a malicious person so much as he is a dope. He is simply contemptuous of the authorities and the laws.He just doesn't care about the consequences. He was under the league drug system. So what. He continued to smoke the weed He ends up being suspended for four games. He has gotten 29 traffic tickets in less than five years, mostly for the same offenses in the same area.

Fred Davis was starting to emerge as a player. Then he submarined himself with his immature behavior. As a talent he is an intriguing player. As a person he is far from being dependable. When the Bills drafted Marshawn Lynch they were well aware of his history. Now they are pursuing Fred Davis knowing his history. Buyer beware!

http://privateoffice...ateofficer-com/

Edited by JohnC

It that is the case then I am relieved.

Like some others here the guy I wanted as a FA TE was Brandon Myers. Here are the details of Myers' contract with the Giants:

3/16/2013: Signed a one-year, $2.25 million contract. The deal included a $1.5 million signing bonus. 2013: $725,000 (+ $25,000 workout bonus), 2014: Free Agent

A 27 year old coming off an excellent season (79 receptions, 806 yards, 4 TDs) in spite of playing the entire year with a bum shoulder.