Ryan Fitzpatrick - QB - Tennessee Titans

MClem06

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000151508/article/ryan-fitzpatrick-meets-with-cincinnati-bengals

Fitz will no doubt make a great back up for a team in the near future but it's funny how we took him from the bengals as a backup, made him a starter and then are going to send him back to the same team so they can make him a backup once again. LOL Bills front office is incredibly inept.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Answer this: After Fitz's fast start 2 years ago, were you one of the majority saying the Bills should sign him to an extention during the year so as to keep his salary down, rather than risking he hit free agency at the end of that season and invariably see his salary demands increase?

If yes, you cannot call the Bills front office inept - you saw what they saw. He played extremely well. Everyone was shocked when he failed to maintain that level of performance. The money added pressure he couldn't handle. He stopped being a gunslinger and tried to play it safe and lost that edge that made him successful early in the year.

If you answered no, maybe you should go to OBD and tell 'em how it should be done!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000151508/article/ryan-fitzpatrick-meets-with-cincinnati-bengals

Fitz will no doubt make a great back up for a team in the near future but it's funny how we took him from the bengals as a backup, made him a starter and then are going to send him back to the same team so they can make him a backup once again. LOL Bills front office is incredibly inept.

Uh, dude... Fitz was brought to Buffalo as a backup to Edwards. He backed up Edwards in 2009. When Gailey took over in 2010, Edwards won the starting job amd got kicked to the curb after two games. Fitz took over by default and actually earned the job. It wasn't until after he was shown the money that he mailed it in.

Bills saw him as a back up too. I believe it was Ralph that put forth the edict to sign Fitz to a lt contract. From an accuracy and arm strength perspective, in no way does he fit Buddy's proclaimed model of a qb. Fitz signing has Ralph's fingerprints all over it... just like with Rob Johnson.

I will say yes to that but at the time of his extension i did think it was very premature to offer him that kind of money. I was at the time in favor of an additional year of play before that kind of contract was given out. They could have strung him along until then but they didn't. This is why they are inept not the fact that he did play well for a stretch of games... We were way to quick to pull the trigger on that contract and therefore I reserve the right to call the front office inept on that point alone.

I will ask this question here, cuz I am not sure where else to ask it, without starting a new thread... (I am not advocating this), but just supposing the Bills and Fitz had a change of heart...could they conceivably re-sign a player they cut? Would his previous contract then be null and void, or would the re-signing team (in this case the Bills) still be on the hook for that old contract? Is there a date set, after which a cut player could sign with his old team?

Edited by Buftex

it's only fair. We took the Bengals castoff, so they might as well take ours.

I will ask this question here, cuz I am not sure where else to ask it, without starting a new thread... (I am not advocating this), but just supposing the Bills and Fitz had a change of heart...could they conceivably re-sign a player they cut? Would his previous contract then be null and void, or would the re-signing team (in this case the Bills) still be on the hook for that old contract? Is there a date set, after which a cut player could sign with his old team?

May lightning strike you for even suggesting that! (kidding)

It's a brand new deal for both sides. Teams usually do it to clear the cap, but obviously run the risk that the player will be picked up as he's waived.

I will say yes to that but at the time of his extension i did think it was very premature to offer him that kind of money. I was at the time in favor of an additional year of play before that kind of contract was given out. They could have strung him along until then but they didn't. This is why they are inept not the fact that he did play well for a stretch of games... We were way to quick to pull the trigger on that contract and therefore I reserve the right to call the front office inept on that point alone.

"stringing him along for another year" was not an option. He was a free agent after the year. They could have waited until the end of the year. In hindsight, that may have been a better option. However, there was very little disagreement at the time in extending the starting QB at low level starter money. Of course now all the hindsight heroes know better. This was not an "inept" move at all - but one they would take back if they could I am sure.

http://www.nfl.com/n...cinnati-bengals

I dont think the shows the Bills as inept at all. Teams make mistakes on QBs all the time. Cassel, and Kolb are two prime examples recently. WE signed a guy that had played well for us, was showing signs of being a leader and they made a move. It didnt work out. If the defense showed up at all over the next season in a half, things may have turned out very differently

I think it's strange that Fitz is willing to accept back-up money from another team, but not the same (if not more, if he restructured) from us.

The fact that one of the leagues' worst GM's was catfished and heard by the entire nation that Fitz would have to compete just to be a backup here.