Lane Johnson (OT), Glenn to (LG)?

SoggyHog

Just wondering what you guys think if Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma fell to #8, would it be wise for the Bills to grab him and move Cordy Glenn to LG where he had success in college. That would be a solid line with Johnson (LOT), Glenn (LG), Wood C, Urbik (RG), Pears/Harriston (ROT).

This would allow the Bills to select a QB in round 2. Maybe Nassib, Manuel, Glennon or Wilson.

What do you think?

*sorry if this is already posted. I did a search and didn't find anything*

How about leave Glenn at tackle and find a replacement in the draft or FA for levitre (but not in the first teo rounds). we need impact players and using top 10 picks to replace lineman is spinning our wheels. WR, QB, or pass rusher are the impact positions we need now. Oline can be addressed in later rounds.

Cordy Glenn's success at LT in the NFL means more to me than his success at LG in college.

He's our starting LT and will be for a long time. If it's not broke why are people trying to fix it?

I think the whole moving Glenn to guard thing is such a terrible idea.

Cordy Glenn's success at LT in the NFL means more to me than his success at LG in college.

He's our starting LT and will be for a long time. If it's not broke why are people trying to fix it?

I wouldn't want to move Cordy to guard, but to right tackle YES! If Lane Johnson is the best player available at 8 then I have no problem taking him there. Just because it's not broke don't mean you can't upgrade it.

It's mentioned because most thought he would be an interior lineman, and a very good one at that. Could even be an upgrade to Levitre, and a blue chip LT would be an upgrade over Glenn.

Granted I am not high on the draft a LT in the first, but it is a reasonable option for our exaggerated line. Our quick release QB was one of the 10 most hit QB's in the league.

Now we lost our quick release QB, and one of our better O-Lineman. Both need to be fixed. Chicken or Egg. Grab a Qb and hope he makes the line better or protect your rookie.

I wouldn't be too upset with a Lane Johnson in the first (who will be there) and a Manuel, Glennon, Bray in the 2nd.

It's mentioned because most thought he would be an interior lineman, and a very good one at that. Could even be an upgrade to Levitre, and a blue chip LT would be an upgrade over Glenn.

Granted I am not high on the draft a LT in the first, but it is a reasonable option for our exaggerated line. Our quick release QB was one of the 10 most hit QB's in the league.

Now we lost our quick release QB, and one of our better O-Lineman. Both need to be fixed. Chicken or Egg. Grab a Qb and hope he makes the line better or protect your rookie.

I wouldn't be too upset with a Lane Johnson in the first (who will be there) and a Manuel, Glennon, Bray in the 2nd.

With how awful the rest of our roster is, Ill be pissed if they spent a top ten pick on a position that is already pretty solid.

The problem is, it is broke. When Andy left, the line needs fixed. If you believe Johnson can be a better LT than Glenn and Glenn can be a better LG than Levitre (and I do think this) then you just made two positions on your team better by one pick. That is value! This is how you draft. FROM NOW ON.... THIS IS HOW YOU DRAFT! (Will Smith, Bad Boys)

Will they be better? Who knows. However, the possibility exists.

Edited by SoggyHog

I wouldn't want to move Cordy to guard, but to right tackle YES! If Lane Johnson is the best player available at 8 then I have no problem taking him there. Just because it's not broke don't mean you can't upgrade it.

I'm all for Barkley or Geno if either fall to us. If both are selected which could happen cuz Qbs always get "over rated" come draft day. Someone will fall in love with a QB based on his pro-day (Geno).

If this situation occurred and we did move Glenn back to guard, only tackle worth that spot is Fisher (excluding Jeockel who will be gone by #8). To use a top 10 pick on the OL when for the 1st time in a long time is a position of strength! Just doesnt seem to make sense. Fitz was barely touched last year and we threw more than the league average yet couldnt complete a pass more than 7 yards downfield.. and thats being generous!

Even though, Geno and Barkley are not Luck and RG3, they are both very good QB;s which would fit nicely in an tempo/ west coast style of offense which seems likely which new regime. We need to address WR2 in top 3 rounds and make sure NOT to get a "project type" WR which we have done in the past (Hardy, Graham). Graham could progress a lot in year 2 but at BEST we will be a solid WR3. In this era, u NEED a slot guy that can cause damage after the catch.. A guy like Ryan Swope who be a GREAT selection in 2nd.

This isn't the first thread to suggest this. It makes no sense to me at all - instead of drafting a player to address one of the team's many immediate and pressing needs (QB, WR, LB, CB, etc...) the OP wants to take a shot and marginally upgrade a position and move a guy who's shown he's perfectly capable at the position his plays now.

Glenn is already a better than average tackle. He may turn out to be a great one. But yeah let's move him just because we lost a couple interior guys. Guards can be found anywhere. You can get a servicable one off the street.

Drafting a OT high this year doesn't do this team any good. They don't have the luxury of drafting a "blue chip" OT prospect (who may or may not work out) with all their other needs.

I really hope this dumb idea gets buried soon. Glenn's a good LT and probably a great RT. those are the only two positions he should be playing.

Yeah, if you have a decent team, a playoff team, sure.

Not when you're bad. You don't spend high pick to upgrade when so many other areas are seriously broken.

I don't see it.........sure , I would love to have all-pro up and down the line, but I don't think that that is the best way to spend a Top Ten pick.

The actual difference (in performance) between an "elite" tackle and a good one is not nearly as much as the difference between an "elite" WR (or QB) and a "good " one.

When you're that high........Draft the skill positions !

This isn't the first thread to suggest this. It makes no sense to me at all - instead of drafting a player to address one of the team's many immediate and pressing needs (QB, WR, LB, CB, etc...) the OP wants to take a shot and marginally upgrade a position and move a guy who's shown he's perfectly capable at the position his plays now.

Glenn is already a better than average tackle. He may turn out to be a great one. But yeah let's move him just because we lost a couple interior guys. Guards can be found anywhere. You can get a servicable one off the street.

Drafting a OT high this year doesn't do this team any good. They don't have the luxury of drafting a "blue chip" OT prospect (who may or may not work out) with all their other needs.

I really hope this dumb idea gets buried soon. Glenn's a good LT and probably a great RT. those are the only two positions he should be playing.

Yeah, if you have a decent team, a playoff team, sure.

Not when you're bad. You don't spend high pick to upgrade when so many other areas are seriously broken.

I don't want to take a shot. I just asked if it would be wise for the Bills to do this. I was just thinking of things the Bills do that totally confuse me and this scenario came to mind. I thought about it for awhile and I can see them do this. How bad would it be really if they did think Johnson could be better than Glenn and Glenn could be better than Andy? Again, if they thought they could upgrade two positions in one pick, would it be worth it at #8?

Just wondering what you guys think if Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma fell to #8, would it be wise for the Bills to grab him and move Cordy Glenn to LG where he had success in college. That would be a solid line with Johnson (LOT), Glenn (LG), Wood C, Urbik (RG), Pears/Harriston (ROT).

What do you think?

I think we should quit with assuming pro athletes who have a decent year at one position are little FRUs who can be swapped around to other positions.

It is possible Glenn might be an upgrade at RT, and if they are impressed enough with Lane Johnson to think he's BPA at #8, then that's what they should do.

I've also wondered if they've had their eye on Barrett Jones as C and moving Wood to guard, which would likely be an upgrade to Levitre.

Wood is starting to be worrisome with all the injuries, and perhaps he'd be more durable at guard. Barrett Jones seems impressive.

That said, with all the holes we have this is one of the examples of things the Bills do that make little sense to me. I think BPA is to some extent a myth, since it's hard to say who is better a specific talented LB or a specific talented LT? So letting Levitre and Rhinehart go and then drafting OL high would give me flashbacks of the same 'ol same 'ol the Bills have pulled for the last decade +

You don't upgrade it when other areas aren't broken their shattered.

People why can't you see that drafting to fill a need is what got us in this pickle in the first place. We NEEDED a QB, so we reached and traded a 1st rounder for Losman. We NEEDED a pass rusher, so we reached and drafted Maybin. You can still fill your needs without reaching. Cordy Glenn is a prime example. Many we're pissed when Buddy passed on a lineman in the 1st last year and picked Gilmore. Now the Bills have two potential pro bowl players. When will you learn from mistakes in the past to help rebuild your future!

I think we should quit with assuming pro athletes who have a decent year at one position are little FRUs who can be swapped around to other positions.

It is possible Glenn might be an upgrade at RT, and if they are impressed enough with Lane Johnson to think he's BPA at #8, then that's what they should do.

I've also wondered if they've had their eye on Barrett Jones as C and moving Wood to guard, which would likely be an upgrade to Levitre.

Wood is starting to be worrisome with all the injuries, and perhaps he'd be more durable at guard. Barrett Jones seems impressive.

That said, with all the holes we have this is one of the examples of things the Bills do that make little sense to me. I think BPA is to some extent a myth, since it's hard to say who is better a specific talented LB or a specific talented LT? So letting Levitre and Rhinehart go and then drafting OL high would give me flashbacks of the same 'ol same 'ol the Bills have pulled for the last decade +

You say to stop assuming swapping players to other positions would be beneficial then in third paragraph you say draft Barrett Jones and move Wood? Confused.

I don't want to take a shot. I just asked if it would be wise for the Bills to do this. I was just thinking of things the Bills do that totally confuse me and this scenario came to mind. I thought about it for awhile and I can see them do this. How bad would it be really if they did think Johnson could be better than Glenn and Glenn could be better than Andy? Again, if they thought they could upgrade two positions in one pick, would it be worth it at #8?

I'm all for two for one!

I wouldn't mind at all if the Bills selected any of the 3 very highly rated OTs with their first pick. Instead of moving Glenn to G, I think he'd make a dynamite RT and find a G somewhere else, maybe even Colin Brown.

If there were a QB with a very good chance of becoming a good NFL starter, I'd lean that way, but I just don't see anybody this year. If the Bills' scouts also don't like any of the QBs, they could do a lot worse than to add a very good OT prospect and focus this year's offense around the running game.

You say to stop assuming swapping players to other positions would be beneficial then in third paragraph you say draft Barrett Jones and move Wood? Confused.

Sure, I'll explain my thinking anyway. It depends upon the position. Glenn has now had 2 years of development as a tackle. Some people think he'd make a better RT, and that's a common transition, but it doesn't follow he'd pick up the somewhat different skill set of a guard or play at the same level as a guard. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't.

Wood, on the other hand, played guard his first 2 years here and played very well. When he's injured and goes out at center, there was a huge drop off even with a veteran QB who was good at reading the D and calling the protections. If we're bringing in rookie QB(s), it would make a certain amount of sense to try to upgrade the options at center, unless they really feel Colin Brown is "The Man".

Why is it a bad idea if you can get an even better LT and still upgrade your LG situation (that's right, I think Glenn would be better than Levitre. And by a lot). There have been far worse ideas in the past.

I'd be shocked if they Bills did draft an LT because the two best ones will most likely be gone. But I wouldn't be surprised.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9