(OT) Best remake of a classic song

Rayzer32

The cover that Nonpoint does of Phil Collins "In The Air Tonight" has to be listed IMO. They do a great heavy version without butchering the song. Of course I am more into the heavier style remakes of any song anyways. If you haven't heard it give it a listen, you might like it. :D

Another good one is Type O' Negative's remake of Seals and Crofts "Summer Breeze".

Hoping I will find some I haven't heard before from all the vast musical knowledge on TBD. :D

I'm still waiting for a remake of "Muskrat Love" by the Carpenters, that was music! I've heard rumors that Boy George may try to remake it. Please let me know if anyone hears of any early bootlegs of this fine recording project.

Another good one is Type O' Negative's remake of Seals and Crofts "Summer Breeze". 

198059[/snapback]

Type O Negative did a good remake of "Cinnamon Girl" as well.

I love George Lynch's remake of Black Sabbath's "Paranoid". He did it with Vince Neil on vocals. Some of the best solo work I've ever heard.

The cover that Nonpoint does of Phil Collins "In The Air Tonight" has to be listed IMO.  They do a great heavy version without butchering the song.  Of course I am more into the heavier style remakes of any song anyways.  If you haven't heard it give it a listen, you might like it.  :devil:   

Hoping I will find some I haven't heard before from all the vast musical knowledge on TBD.  B-)

198059[/snapback]

I love Non Point. I have to get that remake your talking about and give it a listen. The song the do "What a Day' is one of the better songs of the last decade. IMHO of course

Type O Negative did a good remake of "Cinnamon Girl" as well. 

I love George Lynch's remake of Black Sabbath's "Paranoid".  He did it with Vince Neil on vocals.  Some of the best solo work I've ever heard.

198129[/snapback]

Lynch's "Lynch Mob" did a pretty sweet version of "Tie Your Mother Down", too.

I'm still waiting for a remake of "Muskrat Love" by the Carpenters, that was music! I've heard rumors that Boy George may try to remake it. Please let me know if anyone hears of any early bootlegs of this fine recording project.

198114[/snapback]

Wasn't that originally by America, remade to pop success by the Captain And Tennille?

How about Slayer's remake of Iron Butterfly's "Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida"?

Or Therion covering Abba's "Summer Night City".

I also like Dwight's remake of Suscpicios Minds. Big Fan of his music.

I also like Goldfinger's remake of 99 Red Ballons

311's remake of Love Song

Dynamite Hack's remake of Boyz in tha Hood

And that all I got to say about that

Jimi, All along the watchtower

Stevie Ray anything Jimi

Judas Priest Green Manalishi, Diamonds and Rust, Better By You Better than me, johnny B Goode...um...no

Another thing coming Pat Boone

too damned many to think of......must sleep....,

All Along The Watchtower by Jimi.

Beat that if you can. :devil:

198082[/snapback]

I might be the only one, but I always preferred Dylan's version. That's just me, though.

Also, most covers of George Harrison songs seem to be better than the originals. Which isn't a dig on the guy, he was a great composer and a terribly under rated guitarist, but most of the covers I've heard of his songs seem to blow the originals away.

I might be the only one, but I always preferred Dylan's version. That's just me, though.

Also, most covers of George Harrison songs seem to be better than the originals. Which isn't a dig on the guy, he was a great composer and a terribly under rated guitarist, but most of the covers I've heard of his songs seem to blow the originals away.

198244[/snapback]

I am a huge George Harrison fan. What songs were covered? I would love to hear them.

Something

Here Comes the Sun

Within You Without You

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Taxman

For You Blue

Free As a Bird

Isnt it A Pity

My Sweet Lord

Give Me Love(give me peace on earth)

What is Life

If I needed someone

All Things Must Pass

Which Harrison songs were covered?

I am a huge George Harrison fan.  What songs were covered?  I would love to hear them.

Something

Here Comes the Sun

Within You Without You

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Taxman

For You Blue

Free As a Bird

Isnt it A Pity

My Sweet Lord

Give Me Love(give me peace on earth)

What is Life

If I needed someone

All Things Must Pass

Which Harrison songs were covered?

198248[/snapback]

I don't know how many songs have been covered or by who, but have you seen Concert for George? If you haven't, definitely pick it up (that's what I was using as a reference. All of the covers they did of his songs were phenomenal!)

The Yardbirds remake of Smokestack Lightning By Howlin Wolf ( Chester Burnett)

The Yardbirds remake of Mannish Boy by Muddy Waters

The Yardbirds - The BBC Sessions = True Greatness

198292[/snapback]

Wow another Yardbirds fan. They are few and far between. I thought for sure someone would say Aerosmith's remake of "Train Kept Arolllin," which I personally didn't think was anyway near what the Yardbirds did.

I believe the BBC is a compilation, isn't it? There are a few cuts from my favorite Yardbirds album "Rave Up", of which Smokestack LIghtning is one.

BTW, if you haven't heard it, get a listen to Birdland. Basically it is a remake of their some of the old Yardbird stuff with guest guitarists. There are also a couple of new songs which are very good. Makes you really wish they were originally recorded with a little bit of fidelity. The other odd thing about the album is some guy from Queen is the steady lead singer, lead guitarist ( I forgot his name) and he does one amazing job in reproducing the Keith Relf sound. You really have to hear it.

The other odd thing about the album is some guy from Queen is the steady lead singer, lead guitarist ( I forgot his name) and he does one amazing job in reproducing the Keith Relf sound.  You really have to hear it.

198308[/snapback]

Brian May