Bills sign Manny Lawson

BRAWNDO

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad but true. Nevertheless, this is a good signing.

add a similar level safety, wr, and corner... maybe a TE, or another lb... i wouldnt be terribly upset going into the draft. and those positions (particularly the secondary) have a ton of talent out there that will be turning from high demands to good value by weeks end when the market tightens up.

thats not saying i see playoffs, but i think it would be a good start with the new schemes/coaches

Edited by NoSaint

add a similar level safety, wr, and corner... maybe a TE, or another lb... i wouldnt be terribly upset going into the draft. and those positions (particularly the secondary) have a ton of talent out there that will be turning from high demands to good value by weeks end when the market tightens up.

thats not saying i see playoffs, but i think it would be a good start with the new schemes/coaches

Agreed

So with Lawson and Bradham being penciled in as our starting OLBs, I think that decreases the chance we pick Jarvis Jones, Barkevious Mingo or any other OLB at #8.

I would tend to agree with you... However, I would assume he would be playing the traditional pass rushing OLB as opposed to Bradham, and he doesn't have much of a history of getting after the QB.

According to ESPN:

Lawson is not a major addition. But he will be added to the pile of Buffalo linebackers and should have a chance to compete for a starting job.

To be honest, if Pettine wants him then I have no issues with the signing. I have at least some confidence that Pettine knows what he is doing.

Nice!

He's not a guy who gets a lot of pressure on QBs but is noted for his excellent pass coverage. Great move.

I think this is a damn solid signing. And he can get sacks but wasn't used as much for pressure with the Bungles. It will be very interesting to see how he is used in our system. I have to say good signing.

According to ESPN:

To be honest, if Pettine wants him then I have no issues with the signing. I have at least some confidence that Pettine knows what he is doing.

^^

What this man said.

he is good at covering LB's and RB's out of the backfield. he is not a pass rusher> Something that has burned us the last few years.

Cincy has major LB depth, so his playing time was reduced and he became expendable

If we play a 3-4 isn't Mario one of the starting OLB's? He may be big enough to play some 3-4 DE but he is taller than he is wide/stocky to play a 3-4 DE. I think if we play a true 3-4 Mario is the OLB and Bradham moves to ILB or the bench. Maybe Lawson is the back-up for both the OLB and ILB spots. Will be interesting to see how this defense is structured.

If we play a 3-4 isn't Mario one of the starting OLB's? He may be big enough to play some 3-4 DE but he is taller than he is wide/stocky to play a 3-4 DE. I think if we play a true 3-4 Mario is the OLB and Bradham moves to ILB or the bench. Maybe Lawson is the back-up for both the OLB and ILB spots. Will be interesting to see how this defense is structured.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11284/calais-campbell

@JasonColeYahoo

LB/DE Manny Lawson deal is 4 yr/$12 mill with Buffalo. Gets $7 mill in first 2 years.

Sounds like an extremely fair use of cash. We've frontloaded it, so if things don't work out as he gets older he won't be hard to jettison. If the Bills could make about three more deals like this (between SS, LB and WR) by draft day I'd be feeling pretty good.

I'd be curious to see if Mario Williams could be a DE of something along the lines of JJ Watt, considering they are of similar weight and height.