FREE AGENCY THREAD

It isn't too difficult to search out background on the Coach and find where current and ex NFL players have discussed their interaction with Marrone. I am looking forward to seeing how he does with this team. I truly believe last year the Bills played uninspired football.

This year, on the other hand, I believe Marrone will take a group (albeit a small group) of talented veterans and a number of rookies and UDFA's and get maximum production from them. We may not have a winning season, but we will at least have players who respond to the coach and D Coordinator. Unlike Gailey and Wanny, I firmly believe Marrone and Pettine will demand excellence rather than mediocrity. It starts with veteran leadership and it has to spread throughout the team. We need a hard nosed group of young rookies and UDFA's. Looking forward to the season.

http://www.buffalobi...7d-dae6e540b50e

Former NY Jets C Kevin Mawae

Q: Can you talk about your general thoughts of Coach Marrone as a person and a coach?

A: As a person, I think he is a great guy. Obviously having played for him as my o-line coach in New York we became friends. He was the first coach that I ever had that was close to my age in my career. We developed a personal relationship with our families together and things like that. I think he is a great guy. I think he is a good person and he is a great friend.

As far as a coach, I had four great offensive line coaches when I played and he was my third one. He was a coach that brought a lot of insight to the game both from a player’s perspective, because he did play in the NFL and got a couple of years in.

I thought what was really cool about him was that not only did he know how to coach the game, but he knew the history of the game. He would teach us about the history of the 4-3 and 3-4 defenses and what coach developed this scheme or that scheme. That was pretty cool from a player’s standpoint because who was someone who appreciates the game itself. He was a coach that knew what he was talking about and all of the players respected him highly for his coaching ability.

I know the players respected Gailey and Jauron. We will have to wait and see.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the players respected Gailey and Jauron. We will have to wait and see.

I think they did as well...but as gentlemen rather than coaches. My hope is that Marrone and Pettine won't be afraid to ruffle some feathers and worry less about people's feelings. Hopefully, they won't get into the "it's his turn to run the ball" mentality or the "players need to fit it up" perspective. We need Marrone and Pettine to be solid "x's and o's" coaches that demand hard, solid tackling technique and proper execution. I don't care if we find a solid LB from Western New England College or Tulsa School of Diesel Mechanics. If a young guy is bright, hungry, strong, and willing to embrace the overall gameplan - those players can succeed (a la Freddie Jackson, Stevie, Arian Foster, etc). With a few wins early in the season we will look like geniuses. Hey, a guy can dream can't he?

The only thing I lost faith in is Buddy Nix. Daggumit. He is a likeable guy, but he looks like such a tool regarding the QB situation. To pin all your plans on this QB draft class. No decent Free Agent Qbs. Now letting Fitzy go the way that he did. He's complaining on why he had to pay on that contract. HELLO. You gave him that contract you wanker. I hope Whaley takes over sooner than later. Now I see nix moving up and losing a 3rd rounder for Geno Smith. Third round picks are not cheap. You get good players there. I say you sit pat at 8 either draft Dion Jordan or O lineman. Grab best available QB in second. Typically, the Qbs fall. I think Barkley will be there. He could slide if Geno smith goes to Arizona. If not than I'd be ok with ej manual or Glennon in the second

Are there any visits to the Bills planned by any available free agents other than maybe Florence? This team is going nowhere until it has a viable, starting caliber QB.

Looks like Florence will be in Carolina today. I would like to see Moore, Gibson, Keenan Lewis and Fred Davis. With just over $20m to spend its possible but the spending so far (as always has been crazy).

The only thing I lost faith in is Buddy Nix. Daggumit. He is a likeable guy, but he looks like such a tool regarding the QB situation. To pin all your plans on this QB draft class. No decent Free Agent Qbs. Now letting Fitzy go the way that he did. He's complaining on why he had to pay on that contract. HELLO. You gave him that contract you wanker. I hope Whaley takes over sooner than later. Now I see nix moving up and losing a 3rd rounder for Geno Smith. Third round picks are not cheap. You get good players there. I say you sit pat at 8 either draft Dion Jordan or O lineman. Grab best available QB in second. Typically, the Qbs fall. I think Barkley will be there. He could slide if Geno smith goes to Arizona. If not than I'd be ok with ej manual or Glennon in the second

In all fairness, when they gave Fitz the contract, I believe they were 5-2, he was playing well and most people thought the team was headed in the right direction. It was a good faith move that backfired. Fitz was never the same after taking that hit to the chest from London Fletcher. He lost his mojo and never got it back. In retrospect, yes, it was a bad contract, but at the time, most people thought it was a good idea.

Yeah, the overspending has been crazy. But it has only been a handfull of players. I really thought a lot more players would be signed by now, but it looks like a lot of teams are waiting for the dust to settle on the overspending before getting their hands dirty.

When there are like no free agents left and we sign no one of value, then I would be worried. I think they are going to get at least 1 decent signing.

Nix has nothing to do with contracts. Overdorf handles negotiations

At the end of that recorded call you can hear Nix say "it's not a good time to need a QB". To me that says he might not like the draft class. It almost certainly says that the Josh Freeman rumors are not all that solid given the guy on the other end of the phone.

In all fairness, when they gave Fitz the contract, I believe they were 5-2, he was playing well and most people thought the team was headed in the right direction. It was a good faith move that backfired. Fitz was never the same after taking that hit to the chest from London Fletcher. He lost his mojo and never got it back. In retrospect, yes, it was a bad contract, but at the time, most people thought it was a good idea.

Not to mention that the contract he gave Fitz paid him 19th in the league for QBs. He finished 18-19 in passer rating, 18 in yards and 13 in TDs I think. It wasn't outrageous at all, and it was designed so he could get out of it early, like he did, if Fitz proved not to be the answer.

. True, but going forward from that point. You had to have a contingency plan. Because, the cap space that was put in place was bad. Hey, I liked Fitz too, but you always make sure you do not handicap yourself by not at least backing yourself up. We should have got a QB last draft for this move to not be as bad as they let it get to. That's on Nix.

That's the problem - the organization is so starved for signs of talent that when someone shows flashes they immediately rush to do a big, long term deal. They made exactly the same mistake with Jauron - the minute he got on a streak they extended his contract (lest anyone else come and scoop him up), and as a result he stayed at least a year longer than he should have (and they still had to pay him to leave). Same situation with Fitz - paid him too early, it didn't work out and now it's cost time and money.

I think they did as well...but as gentlemen rather than coaches. My hope is that Marrone and Pettine won't be afraid to ruffle some feathers and worry less about people's feelings. Hopefully, they won't get into the "it's his turn to run the ball" mentality or the "players need to fit it up" perspective. We need Marrone and Pettine to be solid "x's and o's" coaches that demand hard, solid tackling technique and proper execution. I don't care if we find a solid LB from Western New England College or Tulsa School of Diesel Mechanics. If a young guy is bright, hungry, strong, and willing to embrace the overall gameplan - those players can succeed (a la Freddie Jackson, Stevie, Arian Foster, etc). With a few wins early in the season we will look like geniuses. Hey, a guy can dream can't he?

Didn't mean to be so negative. This team can do it to you.

Not to mention that the contract he gave Fitz paid him 19th in the league for QBs. He finished 18-19 in passer rating, 18 in yards and 13 in TDs I think. It wasn't outrageous at all, and it was designed so he could get out of it early, like he did, if Fitz proved not to be the answer.

. True, but going forward from that point. You had to have a contingency plan. Because, the cap space that was put in place was bad. Hey, I liked Fitz too, but you always make sure you do not handicap yourself by not at least backing yourself up. We should have got a QB last draft for this move to not be as bad as they let it get to. That's on Nix.

Please read Kelly's post. It wasn't a big deal.

That's the problem - the organization is so starved for signs of talent that when someone shows flashes they immediately rush to do a big, long term deal. They made exactly the same mistake with Jauron - the minute he got on a streak they extended his contract (lest anyone else come and scoop him up), and as a result he stayed at least a year longer than he should have (and they still had to pay him to leave). Same situation with Fitz - paid him too early, it didn't work out and now it's cost time and money.

well said. That's it in a nutshell

Stevie's pushing for Darrius Heyward-Bey to the Bills:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/13/stevie-johnson-wants-darrius-heyward-bey-in-buffalo/

He's no Jennings or Wallace, but I think he'd be a good fit and is pretty much what we're looking for in a WR (tall and fast) and I don't think we'd have to break the bank for him.

People talk about this team not being very good, and they're right. We were a couple idiotic plays from being 9-7 last year. Had we accomplished that we would still have Chan, and probably Fitz. And we'd be picking 18th or so. With the same group of guys. The defense was horrible last year. That was addressed by hiring a new coach and a bona fide DC. We had no real Number One Wide Receiver last year, and we can address that by signing or drafting somebody.

I don't think there is a giant difference in talent between an 8 million dollar guard and somebody like Rinehart. Remember when the Giants went to the Super Bowl with two guys we cut? Parker and Zeigler. It's all about the schemes and having decent talent. And good play-calling. We'll miss Levitre, but if they use that dough on a difference-maker, I'm okay with that.

Fitz was mediocre. He's gone. We've still got mediocrity at QB, but with a better athlete. We'll find somebody.

I just want to hear/read that they are bringing in somebody to fill some position. What happened to all those Jets looking for work? Maybe we should bring back Winfield.

Blah blah. Sorry. just had to get some thoughts down here. Out for now. Go Bills.

Guess we just signed LB Manny Lawson, got the text. He's been an underachiever his whole career but at least we've dipped into free agency, hopefully he wasn't expensive.

GO BILLS!!!

Super Bowl or Bust