Jairus Byrd--think he'll be traded?

JTO

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't hold out in 2013.

That's the new CBA.

If you don't report by week1 you lose I think multiple years now.

I just checked on that- he would stand to lose a year of accrued service. He's already had four years, and as far as I can tell I don't think losing a year changes his status at this point in his career, although I'm hardly an expert.

But you're right, the new rules are more prohibitive and are designed to put the pressure on the player/agent and get a quick resolution.

I just checked on that- he would stand to lose a year of accrued service. He's already had four years, and as far as I can tell I don't think losing a year changes his status at this point in his career, although I'm hardly an expert.

But you're right, the new rules are more prohibitive and are designed to put the pressure on the player/agent and get a quick resolution.

I think the point is though, if you hold in 2013, you're under the same contract in 2014 so you basically don't gain anything. That's how I understood the Mike Wallace situation.

Why do I get the feeling that the bills will trade Jairus Byrd for a couple of draft picks? Does any one here get the same feeling?

nope not at all. don't really know why you might think that, makes no sense.

Trading byrd for a first round pick would be awsome..theres ton of veteran safeties in FA who can replace byrd at a cheaper price then 7mil a season..the more picks the better..bills need playmakers on offense..the nfl has changed its more a offensive league...many teams with crappy defenses have made the playoffs due to having above average type of offenses

Edited by Hotpockets28

I think the point is though, if you hold in 2013, you're under the same contract in 2014 so you basically don't gain anything. That's how I understood the Mike Wallace situation.

That's also true, but as far as I can tell they would almost certainly bring in an arbitrator and the holdout would eventually result in a new contract. And even before that would happen, it's more likely they'd trade him like I said and make it some other team's problem.

Not that we should be worrying about it or speculating. It was a dumb post by me in a dumb thread. Byrd has until July to sign the tender. However, it seems like it is in his best interest to get it done soon: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/08/melton-spencer-were-wise-to-sign-franchise-tenders/

Why do I get the feeling that the bills will trade Jairus Byrd for a couple of draft picks? Does any one here get the same feeling?

If the 49ers want a safety so bad, why wouldn't they just re-sign Dashon Goldson and keep their picks?

• 1 month later...

The issue with this speculation is that they are basing it off of the fact that we are showing interest in drafting a safety while ignoring the fact that we have a big hole at the other safety position.

I would not do it for two seconds. Really all you are getting in return are two players that are likely 50-50 shots to make the roster and have impact. A first and low second round rings more true but the bengals would likely never do this for a safety.

I guess it all depends on how much are they willing to give to get him. For a 1st and a 3rd it might be worth considering, especially if they dont think that a long term deal is in sight.

Yeah, the 2 seconds mentioned in the article would not be enough for me. You would have to think about a 1 & 3 though.

We have no knowlege if talks have occurred on a new deal & if they have whether the Bills think they can get something done.

It doesn't sound unreasonable. I am a big fan of Byrd; I think that he is probably the best player on the team (along with Spiller). If the Bills do not have plans of signing him long-term they could wind up with a 1st and 3 2nds. This would open some cap space as well. I am not in favor of it but there are worse ideas.

It doesn't sound unreasonable. I am a big fan of Byrd; I think that he is probably the best player on the team (along with Spiller). If the Bills do not have plans of signing him long-term they could wind up with a 1st and 3 2nds. This would open some cap space as well. I am not in favor of it but there are worse ideas.

Same page, again. This is the offseason where we sign him long term or get something of value in return. Unfortunately, when people use that line they forget you often don't get full value for a guy but a couples 2's gives us more than 16 games and gone. I'd prefer the extension assuming the demands aren't totally unreasonable though