Jairus Byrd--think he'll be traded?

JTO

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I don't think so, but I wonder if they will be able to work out a long-term contract with him. I do think Levitre is gone. It seems way too quiet if any negotiations were taking place or there was a possibility of him being re-signed.

Couldn't they sign and trade? Or trade and sign after rescinding the franchise tag?

Anyone?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147173/article/anthony-spencer-trade-a-possibility-for-dallas-cowboys?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

"Now we're learning the

Cowboys

could have other plans for Spencer. Citing a team source, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday on "NFL Total Access" that Dallas is open to trading Spencer and his $10.6 million salary if a suitor presents itself."

The answer is yes.

http://www.nfl.com/n..._medium=twitter

"Now we're learning the

Cowboys

could have other plans for Spencer. Citing a team source, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday on "NFL Total Access" that Dallas is open to trading Spencer and his $10.6 million salary if a suitor presents itself."

The answer is yes.

Okay. So the same could possibly apply to Byrd.

Thanks!

Thanks!

But he would still only have a 1 year deal and the tem that trades for Byrd could lose him for nothing once the season is over. Not sure how many, if any, teams are willing to gamble multiple picks for that possible outcome.

But he would still only have a 1 year deal and the tem that trades for Byrd could lose him for nothing once the season is over. Not sure how many, if any, teams are willing to gamble multiple picks for that possible outcome.

But it doesn't say anywhere in that article that the player and team(s) couldn't agree to a multi-year contract before executing a trade.

It also didn't rule out the possibility that the trade could be made with the proviso that the new team would work out a longer term contract for the player.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

There aren't many examples, but here are some trades that have happened:

Champ Bailey, tagged in 2004 by Washington, was given permission to seek a trade. The blockbuster Bailey for Portis trade resulted.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/47177/time-of-reflection-on-champ-bailey-trade

Sean Gilbert was traded for two first round picks by Washington to Carolina after being tagged. Incidentally, one of those picks landed Champ Bailey.

http://blog.redskins.com/2012/07/17/redskins-historian-sean-gilbert/

Why do I get the feeling that the bills will trade Jairus Byrd for a couple of draft picks? Does any one here get the same feeling?

Yes, I did. Matter of fact it wouldn't surprise me if the Bills work out a deal with the 49'ers. They have 15 draft picks that they can't possibly use and they should be losing their FS Ghoulson. Here's a scenario, or at least one like it, that could work for both parties. San Fran trades their 1st rd pick (#31) and their 2nd rd pick (#34) and their 2014 4th rd pick for Byrd and Buffalo's 2013 5th rd pick.

Yes, I did. Matter of fact it wouldn't surprise me if the Bills work out a deal with the 49'ers. They have 15 draft picks that they can't possibly use and they should be losing their FS Ghoulson. Here's a scenario, or at least one like it, that could work for both parties. San Fran trades their 1st rd pick (#31) and their 2nd rd pick (#34) and their 2014 4th rd pick for Byrd and Buffalo's 2013 5th rd pick.

As good as Byrd is, San Francisco is a team that has, and will continue to, build through the draft. You don't spend salary cap space on one player when you know you can snag quality through your own, cheap, multiple draft picks.

There aren't many examples, but here are some trades that have happened:

Champ Bailey, tagged in 2004 by Washington, was given permission to seek a trade. The blockbuster Bailey for Portis trade resulted.

http://espn.go.com/b...mp-bailey-trade

Sean Gilbert was traded for two first round picks by Washington to Carolina after being tagged. Incidentally, one of those picks landed Champ Bailey.

http://blog.redskins...n-sean-gilbert/

Thank you very much.

Wasn't Peerless Price an example of this too?

Why?

Because it would be a waste for the Niners to use all 15 draft picks. They would end up cutting good players. And you can't keep stockpiling them either. Sooner or later you have to use them.

However I can't see them trading for Byrd when they could just have re-signed Goldson.

Didn't San Fran get their Pro Bowl starting safety in FA? What about Ted Ginn, did they draft him?

Four picks for one player (who will get 7m/year, and probably 15m guaranteed) is different from the Whitner/Ginn deals. Whitner's getting 11.5m over three years. The 49ers traded a fifth for Ginn, who's only getting about 2m/year. You don't give up a first, second, and fourth for a safety making that kind of money, even an All-Pro.

Edited by ny33

Byrd is not on a one year contract.

The 2013 season hasn't begun.

The one year contract is a worst case scenario if the two parties can't reach an agreement on a long term contract.

A competent franchise would be announcing Byrd's long term deal in the next 30 days.

The long term deal can pay leSs than the 1 year franchise tag price.

(See Matt Cassel)

The franchise tag functionally extends the negotiation window for a long term deal. Only in bitter situations do the teams actually go into the season under that 1 year contract.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I don't think he will be, we need a good FS to run Pettine's D. I really think the FO is buying time to try for a big deal. Byrd to good and young we need to keep one of our own draft guys. I am sick of us drafting and developing DB's and then not even attempting to keep them in FA. It has become our MO in the past few years.

I do believe Byrd is one guy that the organization sees value in and wants to keep around. The guy has had multiple DC's since coming in and has still played at a high level despite all the changes schematically. I don't see us parting ways with him unless it gets extremely ugly at the negotiatiing table.