Bill Polian talks Geno & Barkley

I respect Polian's knowledge and access to those with good scouting skills so this is a great article. My biggest reservation around Barkley is the shoulder - not known for having the strongest arm before the injury does he come back from that 100% and does the injury become something that is easier to re-injure or nag him down the road? Risky.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think drafting a QB first round just because we need one is bad business. I see these guys as the Gabbert, Mallet types.

We are so freaking depleted at WR and LB on this roster right now, our team is going backwards unless we get a game changer at #8.

Please don't reach based on need. We're not strong enough to have the luxury of rolling the dice. These are the types of draft classes where BPA makes sense.

Give me the QB that performed the best in poor weather conditions. Wind, snow, rain. I don't think either of these guys are it.

The Bills play in a division where weather is a constant factor whether it's Miami or Foxboro. There are no domes, no Chargers weather.

This is why I don't like Barkley. Has played nearly every down of his football life in the confines of comfy SoCal.

Smith while growing up in Florida, has more elements experience with WV weather but performed below average.

I'd prefer the Bills get a QB in the 2nd. I don't think there is value at #8 this year for QBs.

Are you forgetting that the Washington & Oregon teams are also in the Pac 12, as is now Colorado and Utah? One might want to see how he did in road games vs those teams.

Its funny how ppl say we need a game changer at #8..do you honestly believe if the bills draft a Lb at #8 that he will make this defense sooo much better and have a greater impact on the field then drafting a Qb who becomes a solid starter? You can put patrick willis on this defense and we still wont make the playoffs...add a solid starting qb to the bills and we can be contenders for a wildcard....no other position has a greater impact then a Qb....Bills have nothing at the most vital position...

I think drafting a QB first round just because we need one is bad business. I see these guys as the Gabbert, Mallet types.

We are so freaking depleted at WR and LB on this roster right now, our team is going backwards unless we get a game changer at #8.

Please don't reach based on need. We're not strong enough to have the luxury of rolling the dice. These are the types of draft classes where BPA makes sense.

You can't get a game changing WR without someone to get him the ball, otherwise he's just some other guy running around.

You can't get a game changing WR without someone to get him the ball, otherwise he's just some other guy running around.

Yeah, I don't even know how good of an evaluation one can make of the receivers the Bills have had. How much of a boost would team morale, and work ethic receive if the team had a QB they really believed in?

Currently, the team is just a bunch of guys showing up for work, hoping they can build up some nice individual stats, to turn into a nice pay day.

Give me the QB that performed the best in poor weather conditions. Wind, snow, rain. I don't think either of these guys are it.

The Bills play in a division where weather is a constant factor whether it's Miami or Foxboro. There are no domes, no Chargers weather.

This is why I don't like Barkley. Has played nearly every down of his football life in the confines of comfy SoCal.

Smith while growing up in Florida, has more elements experience with WV weather but performed below average.

I'd prefer the Bills get a QB in the 2nd. I don't think there is value at #8 this year for QBs.

couldn't agree more with your last statement!! Luck and Griffin are not here, I might add that Wilson was taken in the third round of last years draft. I am hoping they maybe take EJ Manuel in the 2nd or 3rd round if not plenty of QB's in later rounds. Seems like Fitz will be bridge to whoever we draft.

I think the weather thing is so overrated. How many terrible weather games did the Bills play in this year? Also, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are from Cali. They seem to do fine in the elements.

And what is this value thing when it comes to QBs? Why would you risk losing a QB you like because Mel Kiper says he should go in the 2nd round? It is the most important position in football. If you are willing to wait on a guy so you get good value, is he really the type of guy you want to build your franchise around?

Jeez man, the NFL cast off wagon is littered with #1 scrub QB's that didn't make it. Why reach for a player who isn't graded as a #1 or even a top 10 player.

Its not just Kiper, its every scout out there! I trust what Mike Mayock over anyone else and he is also stating there isn't an elite QB that should be taken in the top ten this year. But, some idiot teams will fall in love with some scrub and draft him way earlier then they should. Blane Gabbert, Tim Tebow, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn. Jake Locker, Vince Young. Cam Newton who was ranked by just about everyone as a #15-32 player and was drafted #1 overall still hasn't gotten his team near the playoffs.

http://profootballta...aft-another-qb/

To the people that want to draft Matt Barkley didn't learn anything from the Mark Sanchez at #5 in 2009, didn't learn anything from at # 10 in Matt Leinart in 2006. USC QB's are babies. While very QB thats ever drafted looked awesome in his highlight reels, what about when the game is on the line and his team is down by 10+ points. Geno Smith folded in games like that this year.

ESPN has Geno Smith ranked at #22. Barkley not even in the first round. Scout.com has Geno Smith ranked at #15, Barkley at #18.

I'm hoping Doug Marrone has some say in this years draft and the Bills skip on the prospect for reaching for a scrub QB.

This is the year for OT's! They should build up that O line now that there are 3 OT graded to be top ten players, Fisher, Joeckel, Johnson or even Mike Mayocks best player in this years draft OG Chance Warmack to replace Andy Levitre. If they gotta take a chance on a player I'd rather see them go WR Cordarrelle Patterson .

http://profootball.s...nid=124&yr=2013

http://www.drafttek....spects-2013.asp

Edited by FeartheLosing

I'd say it's a virtual certainty that the Bills will draft either Smith or Barkley on day one of the draft.

My money is on Barkley...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

I don't think either one will be there at 8.

As for what you've heard about Geno...Watch some of his tape and tell me if he can read Defenses or not...Now...I'm not saying there is no room for improvement with Geno...He did struggle at times later in the year...But I could care less what anyone says about the kid reading Defenses...You can not easily look past that completion percentage in his Sr year...Heck in his College Football career... 71.2% as a Sr...67.4% College career on over 1400 attempts...No QB gets those numbers on accident...

I'll be the first to admit there is a leap of faith involved in Drafting Geno...But look...If you're going to gamble, you might as well gamble with a super athletic kid who has a plus arm, high completion numbers, and 98 TD's to only 21 INT's in 3 years as a Starter at WVU...The sky is the limit for Geno potential-wise...It's going to take a great Coach with a great system that match his talents...But if Geno is the guy Marrone wants, I think his chances of NFL success are very good... B-)

332 attempts 433 completions 34 TDs 8 Ints;

That was Colt McCoy's Jr season in a much better conference that Geno Smith played in. I am not saying that Smith is Colt McCoy - he has a stronger arm, but isn't much bigger, has very small hands (FWIW) and had far fewer Ws in his career.

Jason Campbell completed 70% of his passes as a SR with a 3-1 TD-INT ratio in a GREAT conference.

I *like* Geno Smith and think he has a chance to be a decent to good starting QB in the NFL. I just don't know if the likelihood of him being an above average starter is high enough to justify drafting him with the 8th pick. Never mind what the probability of him being a top 10 NFL QB would be.....

I can align, to some extent, with the "we've got to have a QB that is better than Ryan Fitzpatrick" argument, but it all comes down to how strongly the Bills' professional scouts believe that he can be a good enough NFL QB to make them competitive in the playoffs. If they think there is a pretty good chance that he'll become that good, then by all means use the 8th pick in the draft on him. If not, then take someone at another position who has a better probability of being very good at their position.

My biggest reservation around Barkley is the shoulder - not known for having the strongest arm before the injury does he come back from that 100% and does the injury become something that is easier to re-injure or nag him down the road? Risky.

I disagree about the shoulder but agree about the arm strength.

I don't remember a single QB who had chronic shoulder problems and as you might recall, Jim Kelly lost most of his senior year at Miami to a separated shoulder. I don't believe it affected his football career.

I am concerned about Barkley's very ordinary measurables coupled with the lack of proof of him having any intangibles.

Jeez man, the NFL cast off wagon is littered with #1 scrub QB's that didn't make it. Why reach for a player who isn't graded as a #1 or even a top 10 player.

Its not just Kiper, its every scout out there! I trust what Mike Mayock over anyone else and he is also stating there isn't an elite QB that should be taken in the top ten this year. But, some idiot teams will fall in love with some scrub and draft him way earlier then they should. Blane Gabbert, Tim Tebow, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn. Jake Locker, Vince Young. Cam Newton who was ranked by just about everyone as a #15-32 player and was drafted #1 overall still hasn't gotten his team near the playoffs.

http://profootballta...aft-another-qb/

To the people that want to draft Matt Barkley didn't learn anything from the Mark Sanchez at #5 in 2009, didn't learn anything from at # 10 in Matt Leinart in 2006. USC QB's are babies. While very QB thats ever drafted looked awesome in his highlight reels, what about when the game is on the line and his team is down by 10+ points. Geno Smith folded in games like that this year.

ESPN has Geno Smith ranked at #22. Barkley not even in the first round. Scout.com has Geno Smith ranked at #15, Barkley at #18.

I'm hoping Doug Marrone has some say in this years draft and the Bills skip on the prospect for reaching for a scrub QB.

This is the year for OT's! They should build up that O line now that there are 3 OT graded to be top ten players, Fisher, Joeckel, Johnson or even Mike Mayocks best player in this years draft OG Chance Warmack to replace Andy Levitre. If they gotta take a chance on a player I'd rather see them go WR Cordarrelle Patterson .

http://profootball.s...nid=124&yr=2013

http://www.drafttek....spects-2013.asp

The highlighted is the only argument that I have with your post. It isn't because I think that Barkley is a great prospect, but rather to argue that he is a poor prospect because other USC QBs have failed. By that logic, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady would be no good because their predecessors at their respective schools were not good NFL QBs.

I agree. The notion is kind of ridiculous. We're going to let weather influence the direction of our franchise? Weather is completely unpredictable and random. How many blizzard games have we had in the past 5 years?

At the end of the day what's probably the most important attribute a QB can have in cold, "windy" buffalo games? A strong arm. Geno has that. After that, the whole weather thing is a bunch of hogwash.

i'm going to go ahead and say a strong o-line with some good running backs, along with a coach that knows how to use them. but yes, a strong arm that can cut through the wind is nice also.

couldn't agree more with your last statement!! Luck and Griffin are not here, I might add that Wilson was taken in the third round of last years draft. I am hoping they maybe take EJ Manuel in the 2nd or 3rd round if not plenty of QB's in later rounds. Seems like Fitz will be bridge to whoever we draft.

I am not against EJ Manuel, but he hasn't played in much bad weather having played at Fla St.

Its funny how ppl say we need a game changer at #8..do you honestly believe if the bills draft a Lb at #8 that he will make this defense sooo much better and have a greater impact on the field then drafting a Qb who becomes a solid starter? You can put patrick willis on this defense and we still wont make the playoffs...add a solid starting qb to the bills and we can be contenders for a wildcard....no other position has a greater impact then a Qb....Bills have nothing at the most vital position...

Yes, you're right, QB is without a doubt the most impactful position. Other than QB, IMO, the most impactful positions aren't even positions. HC and the coordinators. Our coordinators have been sooooo piss poor over the years, one really cannot say if we'd make the playoffs with Patrick Willis. I think we could. Add a player like Jarvis Jones to the mix to go with Pettine and his philosphy and I think our defense would be dam good. Maybe good enough to make the playoffs with another addition or two. You're right, if we add a solid starter at QB, our team would be in the wild card hunt....but that's a monumental task. Are any of these QBs solid starters? Geno and Barkley are the only QBs I'd touch at 8 and there's a chance both are gone by that time. So then do you reach on a QB that you're not sold on just because a solid QB can lead this team to the playoffs? I don't think so.