Chance Warmack - OG - Alabama

Smoke-E

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's on the board, I think Buddy runs up himself to hand in the card. Here's why I think this:

1. We just lost a very good LG and need an immediate replacement.

Thoughts?

We lost him because OBD doesn't think the guard POSITION is worth ~$8M/year.

How in heck does it make sense to go draft a rookie at #8 for that position???? :doh:

Actually, Cooper would be a much better fit - as he's been in a fast paced offense and that is one of his many positives - his conditioning, speed, movement, etc. - all fit Buffalo's offense much better than Warmack, who is said to have worn down in games due to a lack of good conditioning. It's almost nitpicking, I know, as both are tremendous players - but the fit does matter to success, of which we'd be talking the difference between good and great. Still, I don't like the idea of letting a guy already on the roster go just to spend a pick on his replacement. That would be like saying we're more willing to keep 8 million a year than have a first round pick. I'd think the first round pick would be worth more than something like 6% of the total team salary cap.

If he's on the board, I think Buddy runs up himself to hand in the card. Here's why I think this:

2. We have below average guard depth, even though the team argues otherwise.

3. Warmack is the best guard to come out of college in a number of years and some publications have him as the best draft propect this year.(http://www.rotoworld...ed-top-151?pg=1)

4. He's a big nasty. And Nix loves big and nasty.

5. He's an SEC guy - played in best conference and on 2 Championship teams.

I would have no issue with this pick. In fact, I want it. The QBs dont seem worthy of a first and I think value can be had in rounds 2-4 of this draft.

Thoughts?

Or Cooper. One of the two.

Actually, Cooper would be a much better fit - as he's been in a fast paced offense and that is one of his many positives - his conditioning, speed, movement, etc. - all fit Buffalo's offense much better than Warmack, who is said to have worn down in games due to a lack of good conditioning. It's almost nitpicking, I know, as both are tremendous players - but the fit does matter to success, of which we'd be talking the difference between good and great. Still, I don't like the idea of letting a guy already on the roster go just to spend a pick on his replacement. That would be like saying we're more willing to keep 8 million a year than have a first round pick. I'd think the first round pick would be worth more than something like 6% of the total team salary cap.

Charles Davis of NFL Network is the best , no bullish_t analyst out there. He says Cooper, not Warmack for the Bills. In Charles I trust.

We will not draft a guard at eight. Anyone who heard the Buddy Nix interview knows that he is confident in the OL to a certain extent. Confident enough that we will not use our first round pick on an OG.

Edited by H2o

How in heck does it make sense to go draft a rookie at #8 for that position???? :doh:

No. 8 pick last year was 4 years, 12.6 mil.

Edited by CJPearl2

3. Warmack is the best guard to come out of college in a number of years and some publications have him as the best draft propect this year.(http://www.rotoworld...ed-top-151?pg=1)

I would have no issue with this pick. In fact, I want it. The QBs dont seem worthy of a first and I think value can be had in rounds 2-4 of this draft.

Thoughts?

Noooooooooo....

Thoughts?

1) We just lost a very good LG because we don't value the difference of very good to good at that position a ton! Guards cannot make the difference that other positions can, and if a very angry and green Bruce Banner were available at #8, I would still pass.

2) I think our depth at guard is fine for the positional importance, and I would be fine to see a later round pick at the position.

3) And if there was a hall of fame punter I wouldn't take him at #8 just based on value added above a good player at that position.

4) Nasty is a reason he is a great guard, not a reason a great guard is worth a #8 pick.

5) Another reason he is a great guard is his SEC excellence. Still doesn't make me want a guard at #8.

Levitre was over paid. He wouldn't negotiate Prior to FA. He was overpaid. If Warmack turns out to be an all pro, not just a good guard, maybe we'll pay him almost 8 mill a year. Levitre was overpaid. Overpaying LGs is bad

Was he overpaid? Not sure if you thought he was overpaid. But I guess he was overpaid? Or was he not overpaid?

Thoughts?

He sounds like an awesome guard- let's say for the sake of argument he is in fact one of the best guard prospects in decades. Fair enough. The bottom line is that Nix has already shown two things: number one, he doesn't value the guard position that highly, as evidenced by him letting Levitre walk. And two, say what you will about his GM skills, but if nothing else, the guy has shown a penchant for picking up offensive linemen on the cheap and making it work. Every conceivable sign points to the Bills not taking a guard at 8. Not to mention, the Bills know that they have to sell season tickets and you would hear a collective groan from WNY if the Bills were to take a guard at 8. And also, did you grow up in Ransom Oaks?

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that will further show the idiocracy of one of the most inept franchises of all time. We have Guards, SIX of them sitting there and Nix said two could start today. Next OL is DEEP this year you can get a guard in round 3.

Because a rookie OG will make about one-quarter of that.

Last year's #8 pick (Tannehill) signed a four-year, $12.7 million deal while #9 (Kuechly) got a four-year, $12.6 million deal.... ;)

IMO at #8, the Bills will be picking the freakishly talented player from the SEC which almost perfectly hits position of need, draft value and cap allocation with regards to position...Cordarelle Patterson.

I like Patterson, but there's no way Buddy bets the farm on a guy with such little experience...

Because a rookie OG will make about one-quarter of that.

Last year's #8 pick (Tannehill) signed a four-year, $12.7 million deal while #9 (Kuechly) got a four-year, $12.6 million deal.... ;)

I like Patterson, but there's no way Buddy bets the farm on a guy with such little experience...

I don't like that logic at all. Letting a player go first-contract-and-out, only to use the 8th overall pick to replace him, is just treading water. What happens when Warmack's first contract ends? Do the Bills let him go first-contract-and-out too, only to use another first round pick to replace him?

The main objective for a first or second round pick should never be to save money on the salary cap! :angry: The objective should be to acquire building block football players, and to retain them for the duration of their careers, even though retaining them will use up a lot of the cap! :angry: If you save a few bucks on a player during his first few years in the league, that's a nice bonus. But it should never be more than a tertiary consideration--especially not with a first round pick!

I don't like that logic at all. Letting a player go first-contract-and-out, only to use the 8th overall pick to replace him, is just treading water. What happens when Warmack's first contract ends? Do the Bills let him go first-contract-and-out too, only to use another first round pick to replace him?

The main objective for a first or second round pick should never be to save money on the salary cap! :angry: The objective should be to acquire building block football players, and to retain them for the duration of their careers, even though retaining them will use up a lot of the cap! :angry: If you save a few bucks on a player during his first few years in the league, that's a nice bonus. But it should never be more than a tertiary consideration--especially not with a first round pick!

Just because the Titans overpaid Levitre doesn't mean its a bad thing to go OG if (1) the player truly is worthy of the #8 selection and (2) you have a chance to win with that guy for 4-5 years. Dealing with a different contract situation four years from now is just that--dealing with a different contract situation.

The new CBA has changed the way rookies are being valued/used. We're going to see a lot more young guys in the lineup playing valuable roles early in their careers AND more turnover of veteran FAs when teams decide they can't lock that much of their budget into non-QBs positions. If a guy like Revis can be traded because the Jets value draft picks more than $12 million per year, then no non-QB veteran is a "foundational" player anymore. Taking the best available rookie at a reasonable entry level deal is more valuable than ever...

+1.

Edited by dave mcbride